Talk me out of Starclassic W/B

It was rumored that Tama took the thin-shell design of Gretsch, added a sixth lug for easier/better tuning, and honed the bearing edges from the Gretsch 30º round-over to the Starclassic 45º design with slight round-over on the external edge. This is what gives those drums the magic unicorn sound. This creates a sharper transient, giving the sound more attack. (Having played both brands, I can attest that the Tama toms produce more attack.)

feature_Starclassic_Bearing_Edge.jpg

If there's a downside to Tama drums, it's that their nice lacquer finishes are not produced forever.

Nice info! I did notice an initial difference on the strike with the w/b I hit.…bearing edge being part of the equation makes sense

You’re into the Renowns too far and will lose your shorts in the deal I really like Tama. It was the other kit I was considering. In the end, a better deal came along with my Brooklyns. If I had to do it over, it’d still be between the two. I think it’s a bad case of GAS. Those burnt orange Renowns are sweet and unique. I still think you’ll lose too much to be worth the exchange.

Don't do it! You will regret it later!

Starclassic W/B drums are fantastic, I tried them out at Guitar Center and they sounded great. They have a strong punchiness to them that is great for Rock. But they aren't quite as versatile IMHO, and as much as I liked them, they still didn't sound as good as the Renowns. They are on a whole different level.

Renowns are something special...they have a serious mojo to them. The toms are rich and vibrant, and every time you hit the toms you can feel them coming back at you. They have a clean, warm, and fullness to the sound...AND they have a very pronounced and immediate attack as well. It's common to have some of those attributes, but It's very rare to have all those attributes in one kit.

Generally speaking, warm and full kits will sound fat and round.....but may not have as much of a prominent attack. Or kits with lots of attack will often sound colder and not as full. There may be a few exceptions, of course. But Renowns have all those attributes at the same time.

I bought the Renowns in Vintage Pearl (10/12/14/20) and I loved them so much that I decided to order add-ons to complete a shell bank. (10/12/14/16 toms, 18/20/22 kicks) Just like you, I also bought a full set of die-cast hoops, and now they sound identical to USA Customs! I love the sound of both the 302 hoops and die-cast hoops...and now I have more options.

You already have a full Renown kit in a stunning (and somewhat rare) finish. Everyone is drooling over them. Learn to appreciate what you have!

This is a clear case of grass-is-greener syndrome. Get ahold of yourself man!

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd pass on swapping out your Renowns for the Tamas. Reasons:

- There's little to no improvement in sound, quality or construction between the two kits.
- The pretty finish of the Tamas seem to be the greatest motivator.
- You'll lose a lot of money on the sale of the Renowns.

"hmm. fades...always look to me like..fades.." like oops the sun got to them.
or 'they ran out of paint' midway.. or 'couldn't decide on the color...let's have both.

who was the first after the 50s duco era to bring them back? Rogers? with their Tobacco Sunrise (nice name) me thinks.
how'd I do? too harsh I know.. : ) take with a grain of salt

Wow….spirited conversation! Definitely feeling the tug of war! Excellent points all around.

I‘m not too concerned about taking the loss on moving the renowns on….I think I’ve had 10 manual v8 rwd hot rods the past 25 years and only one did I ever ”make” money on when I sold it…and when I figure in rear tires, insurance, registration…yup…I lost on that one too haha. I know all about losing money on toys. LOL

However, that doesn’t mean I’m completely nutz lol….I do not want to regret seeing the burnt orange sparkles vacate the premises. Maybe I should keep them, and just add on another kit. I don’t have room in my drum studio for 3 sets (already have a big electronic kit in there as well that I’m not selling)…but I suppose I could store a kit somewhere else in the house.

I do not want to regret seeing the burnt orange sparkles vacate the premises.
Let's see some photos of this amazing kit. We need visuals to help determine the depth and significance of your quest.

Let's see some photos of this amazing kit. We need visuals to help determine the depth and significance of your quest.
They are very difficult to photograph because they “hue shift” a lot depending on lighting…my drum room is pretty dark…but here’s some….and one outside in sunlight

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    728.9 KB · Views: 15
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    641 KB · Views: 15
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    740.2 KB · Views: 15
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    633.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9316.jpeg
    IMG_9316.jpeg
    940.2 KB · Views: 15
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    761 KB · Views: 14
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 14
  • FullSizeRender.jpeg
    FullSizeRender.jpeg
    607.4 KB · Views: 14
They are very difficult to photograph because they “hue shift” a lot depending on lighting…my drum room is pretty dark…but here’s some….and one outside in sunlight
Some pics show die cast hoops, some show flanged. The snare is all flanged hoops with a clear dot Remo: zingo zap it must be bright!

Which hoops do you prefer on the toms?

Some pics show die cast hoops, some show flanged. The snare is all flanged hoops with a clear dot Remo: zingo zap it must be bright!

Which hoops do you prefer on the toms?
Good eye. Ya that’s a gretsch 4169b bronze USA custom that came factory with beefy die cast, 42 strand wires and a permatone coated head….meh…it was way too dry for my ear when I got it home. So, it now has the flanged ludwig hoops off my hammered supra…20 strand canopus wires, and a Ludwig silver dot head…beautiful open sound. Surprisingly controlled. It’s like a slightly milder version of a black beauty.

The toms…I went back n forth, even combos of 302 top/die cast bottom…or vice versa…ended up just staying full die cast for a good while now. The 302s are boxed up

Good eye. Ya that’s a gretsch 4169b bronze USA custom that came factory with beefy die cast, 42 strand wires and a permatone coated head….meh…it was way too dry for my ear when I got it home. So, it now has the flanged ludwig hoops off my hammered supra…20 strand canopus wires, and a Ludwig silver dot head…beautiful open sound. Surprisingly controlled. It’s like a slightly milder version of a black beauty.

The toms…I went back n forth, even combos of 302 top/die cast bottom…or vice versa…ended up just staying full die cast for a good while now. The 302s are boxed up
And your shells are maple, not mahogany, correct?

Yes. Gretsch RN2 “formula maple” 7 layer. People say it’s 5 inner plies Asian maple…..outer plies NA maple. They sound very good whatever it is
Technically, any differences in sound would come from the different bearing edge and different glue/heat molding process, with the 30º bearing edge contributing most of the difference.

Maybe, just maybe, the asian maple is of a different density & hardness compared to NA maple.

Plus, if you wanted that 14" floor tom, it's gonna cost and you may never get it if you wait too long.

Back