Talk me out of Starclassic W/B

Technically, any differences in sound would come from the different bearing edge and different glue/heat molding process, with the 30º bearing edge contributing most of the difference.

Maybe, just maybe, the asian maple is of a different density & hardness compared to NA maple.

Plus, if you wanted that 14" floor tom, it's gonna cost and you may never get it if you wait too long.
You are correct. I said my main buying point would be sound….but I am lusting for that exotic ruby pacific fade even tho it’s the SC maple and more $$$. I think I actually like the SC W/B sound #1. Too bad they don’t offer that finish on the W/B model.

Which takes me back to a maple kit that only has a 10-12-16 and the ridiculous 14 a la carte addition. Pretty much would put me at Japanese made Star kit range for something made in China. Hmmm…. maybe I could live with a 4 piece 😂

You are correct. I said my main buying point would be sound….but I am lusting for that exotic ruby pacific fade even tho it’s the SC maple and more $$$. I think I actually like the SC W/B sound #1. Too bad they don’t offer that finish on the W/B model.

Which takes me back to a maple kit that only has a 10-12-16 and the ridiculous 14 a la carte addition. Pretty much would put me at Japanese made Star kit range for something made in China. Hmmm…. maybe I could live with a 4 piece 😂
You could ask your shop to see if there's a 14" floor tom in the warehouse and see if they could make it an "add on" for less than the price of a single tom. Try to get a package deal somehow.

“Work Warning language”

Here is Kenny with his SC maple…it does sound good! Just slightly less of the low end pizazz that the W/B has to my ear…
but still very nice

I may have mentioned it here already and definitely have elsewhere in older posts but the Renown's bearing edge was reworked in 2016 for the RN2 and is said (by Gretsch) to be better than the older Renown's edge. Maybe not that relevant to this discussion but bearing edges have come up a couple of times so...

It would take a team of wild horses to drag me off that burnt orange Renown kit. That thing is freaking beautiful!

I may have mentioned it here already and definitely have elsewhere in older posts but the Renown's bearing edge was reworked in 2016 for the RN2 and is said (by Gretsch) to be better than the older Renown's edge. Maybe not that relevant to this discussion but bearing edges have come up a couple of times so...

It would take a team of wild horses to drag me off that burnt orange Renown kit. That thing is freaking beautiful!
You are correct….the gretsch product manager at NAMM in like 2016 said the engineers used the dimensions of a 1980s gretsch tom that was so popular and requested from studio to studio to studio….that they patterned the RN2 bearing edge off of its profile. At least that’s my recollection

You are correct….the gretsch product manager at NAMM in like 2016 said the engineers used the dimensions of a 1980s gretsch tom that was so popular and requested from studio to studio to studio….that they patterned the RN2 bearing edge off of its profile. At least that’s my recollection
Did it look like this:

feature_Starclassic_Bearing_Edge.jpg

😂

They are very difficult to photograph because they “hue shift” a lot depending on lighting…my drum room is pretty dark…but here’s some….and one outside in sunlight
LOOK AT IT. It's so beautiful. Buy a new kit, and find some room for it, but don't get rid of this one!

Those silver dot heads are an interesting choice. They will make the drums sound a little dryer and have a little less warmth overall...but the Renowns already have an abundance of both, to begin with.

LOOK AT IT. It's so beautiful. Buy a new kit, and find some room for it, but don't get rid of this one!

Those silver dot heads are an interesting choice. They will make the drums sound a little dryer and have a little less warmth overall...but the Renowns already have an abundance of both, to begin with.

I really love those silver dots on the toms…and even a snare. I have clear emperors, clear vintage emperors, coated ambassadors, and the silver dots. The silver dots win out easily

They are very difficult to photograph because they “hue shift” a lot depending on lighting…my drum room is pretty dark…but here’s some….and one outside in sunlight

I love Tama and if between buying two kits, I'd choose Tama. But if I already owned that Renown kit, I'd keep the Renown and keep the $$money in my pocket. As far as kit quality you're not gaining anything going with Tama.

Back