Song Suggestions Needed

Man we could go on forever with just the bands never mind the endless list of tunes !
You’ve got some listening to do lol .

Often overlooked and highly underrated are The Cars . Even their late 70’s stuff is in tune with the 80’s vibe .
Tom Petty
Hall and Oates
INXS
Duran Duran
Peter Gabriel …. Sledgehammer, but I like Big Time better .
Phil Collins
Huey Lewis
Robert Palmer
The Police
AC/DC
The Who Eminence Front, Another Tricky Day, You better you bet .
Billy Joel ( pick one ) .
Dire straits
Air supply
Foreigner
Kiss
Rush
Devo
The pretenders
I’ve got sooooo many bands running through my head it’s impossible to even think of songs at the moment lol .

Edit :…… How could I forget . Any song from Squeeze . So many , and fun to play !!!

Last edited:
Rise - Public Image Ltd
Mirror in the Bathroom - English Beat
How Soon Is Now - The Smiths
Top notch. 💯

I think anything on your list would be good, but as someone else said, AC/DC is a crowd pleaser. So would Tommy Tutone and Squeeze.

My Italian bandmates always said, "Tommy Tutoney."

We play a lot of the ones you have on your set list. Out of the ones you're considering, we also play You Shook Me All Night Long and Love Shack, and they never fail to fill the dance floor. A couple more that you don't have listed that we do and work well are Faith by Geroge Michael, and Sweet Child Of Mine by Guns and Roses, they also work every time.

Good luck, adding new stuff is fun, I hope we get to do so again soon.

Flock of Seagulls - I Ran
Rick Astley - Never Gonna Give You Up
Wake Me Up Before You Go Go - Wham
Do You Think I'm Sexy - Rod Stewart (70s but tacky enough for the 80s)
We Built This City - Starship
500 Miles - The Proclaimers
Jesse's Girl - Rick Springfield
Footloose - Kenny Loggins

With a setlist like that you can clear some space and enjoy the pub to yourself ... either that,, or you'll become national celebrities ... it could go either way :)

Not to derail, but after long consideration, I think anything by the Police should not be done. Their music is so different, even among the other artists you have listed, that it tends to stick out like a sore thumb if stuck in the middle of a good cooking groove set. Maybe if you opened with one, that would work because then you get to the rest of the business of playing for the audience. But the few times I was in a band that did Police music, their songs were always the ones that people stopped dancing to or took a break on - and I can only think it's because it's too unique - it's not a groove people just latch on to like say, Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell". It might just be because Stewart Copeland is not the usual groove drummer, and usually drummers love to play Police music because it isn't like everything else to begin with. So as soon as you launch into a Police song, the vibe changes for the audience and you run the risk of losing some, or gaining more of the people that woulnd't normally be on the dance floor.

Maybe that doesn't make sense?

Not to derail, but after long consideration, I think anything by the Police should not be done. Their music is so different, even among the other artists you have listed, that it tends to stick out like a sore thumb if stuck in the middle of a good cooking groove set. Maybe if you opened with one, that would work because then you get to the rest of the business of playing for the audience. But the few times I was in a band that did Police music, their songs were always the ones that people stopped dancing to or took a break on - and I can only think it's because it's too unique - it's not a groove people just latch on to like say, Billy Idol's "Rebel Yell". It might just be because Stewart Copeland is not the usual groove drummer, and usually drummers love to play Police music because it isn't like everything else to begin with. So as soon as you launch into a Police song, the vibe changes for the audience and you run the risk of losing some, or gaining more of the people that woulnd't normally be on the dance floor.

Agree 100%. There is a difference between great songs and great dance songs; I don't think The Police have any good dance songs (and I love The Police).

I agree. About the only one I can think of that’s kinda danceable is like the chorus of every little thing she does is magic.

" yeah you could do "Next To You" by Police then there'd be "punk Dancing" 😁

Then follow it up with "Midnight At The Oasis" or something 😁

POlice (were) Punk
😁

Byrds..Feel a whole lot better...Day Tripper...Let it ride..driving my life away...Orleans..your still the one..vocals will be a bit--!...wholl stop the rain..fortunate son..just Good ol boy dance floor fillers.

I think you're right. "Tempted" would be a better choice. It's got a good groove.
I would pick Hourglass but Tempted is better known, so I guess I would pick Tempted.

I also would pick only danceable hits. If it isn’t still very popular, I don’t see the point in doing it.

Lots of good suggestions........didn't see Huey Lewis and the News.......unless I missed it.......straight forward stuff, cliche would be Power of Love but he had a number of solid tunes

I would pick Hourglass but Tempted is better known, so I guess I would pick Tempted.

I also would pick only danceable hits. If it isn’t still very popular, I don’t see the point in doing it.
I always wanted to play "Tempted" with a band. The groove just percolates nicely.

Back