Replace a Famous Drummer to Make the Band Sound Better

Richard Christy replacing Lars and Steve DiGiorgio replacing Robert Trujillo in Metallica would make them a way better band.

Dave Lombardo to Replace Lars. He subbed at the 04’ Download Festival for a couple of songs, He’d fit in well with the others. Jason Bittner would also be a good replacement.

Richard Christy replacing Lars and Steve DiGiorgio replacing Robert Trujillo in Metallica would make them a way better band.
Robert Trujillo is way underutilized in Metallica, just like Jason was, if you listen to some of their previous work, they both can shred on bass but Metallica never wanted anyone to outshine their guitar work after Cliff (he was allowed because he was seen as equal member) even Kirk after Mustaine had a hard time fitting in at first. Look at the song writing credits, Lars and James have credits on 99% of their songs even though Cliff and Mustaine wrote some of them too. Mustaine did it to himself though, but Jason....he was just the victim. (but to go as far as to remove the bass from an album...can't blame him for leaving.

I'm going to my grave with this...i don't think Portnoy would be loose and rocky enough for RUSH...hes to stiff..to calculated. The guy that would be thee replacement in every way and then some is Simon Phillips. Considering his body of work and fitting supremely with everyone from fusion..to rock etc etc I believe that even Neil Peart worshipers would go whoa..hes the guy..man!. Yup.

I would like to hear Tim Alexander play with Rush...I think he would be closer to Neil's feel, and still be able to execute the tricky stuff...

Funny, I was just thinking of Simon Phillips as a person who could handle the Rush drum chair. Definitely not Portnoy. That said, I don’t really think Neil is replaceable. It is one of the few drum chairs in the world that I think can’t be filled by someone else.

people could execute the patterns, but yeah...they not execute the "non-drumming" stuff that was happening there in the drum parts

I would like to hear Gene Hoglund in any metal band he has not played with yet....

Jost Nickel into Level 42

Last edited:
Personally, I 'd like to see Jason back in the band. Sure, Trujillo can play rings around him but the live element just isn't there with Rob like it was with Jason (and I say that as a huge Suicidals fan).
I don't think Trujillo is better than Jason. Just listen to Flotsam and Jetsam's Doomsday for the deceiver and actually listen to the bass parts, he was the better player in that band. That said Trujillo has some good stuff too in other bands.

Dave Brubeck Quartet: replace Joe Morello with Steve Jordan.

Early Fleetwood Mac (pre-Nicks/Buckingham): replace Mic Fleetwood with Jim Gordon.

In the modern music realm: replace the computer-tchk-tchk-tchk with any human that can count to 4.

I don't think Trujillo is better than Jason. Just listen to Flotsam and Jetsam's Doomsday for the deceiver and actually listen to the bass parts, he was the better player in that band. That said Trujillo has some good stuff too in other bands.
Depends which type of music we're talking about I guess. If strictly talking "thrash metal" Jason would come out on top, but all the funk stuff Rob used to do with ST/ Infectious Grooves is just next level.

I cant really think of a genuine answer, but it would be something along the lines of putting Steven Adler in the Wallflowers. Or Bill Ward in Simon and Garfunkel.
Ya know this is a bit odd in that hearing welcome to the jungle yesterday for the 785th time I'm thinking damn..WHY don't I hear more talk about Steven Adler and IMO Bill Ward may just be (to me) one of the most underrated drummers in rock. I remember reading how Bill felt that he never measured up to Bonham and Paice and I'm like dude!..what!?..you are so unique that you should be arrested!..never quite measure up...WRONG.

Ya know this is a bit odd in that hearing welcome to the jungle yesterday for the 785th time I'm thinking damn..WHY don't I hear more talk about Steven Adler and IMO Bill Ward may just be (to me) one of the most underrated drummers in rock. I remember reading how Bill felt that he never measured up to Bonham and Paice and I'm like dude!..what!?..you are so unique that you should be arrested!..never quite measure up...WRONG.
Steven Adler really doesnt get much love and I dunno why. I absolutely love everything he did with GnR. He wasnt all that fancy, but he definitely drove the band.

Bill Ward is the man.

Back