Replace a Famous Drummer to Make the Band Sound Better

someguy01

Platinum Member
-but given that Lars is the co-worker/arranger of so much of their stuff, and was the driving business force of the band for the first however many years, it feels like you're improving a band that wouldn't actually then exist.
A fair point. However...
Who's to say if Lars had been replaced early on that the other guys and perhaps the new drummer wouldn't have done the same? Remember, Lars learned all of that stuff on the fly which means someone else could have as well.
James even had a notion to sack Lars at one point.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Absolutely. No way to really delve into these counterfactuals without an actual time machine. And lemme tell you, when I finally get that baby up and running, these experiments aren't one of the top 10 things I'm going to do with it.
...but maybe #11...

Last edited:

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Here's an easy one with proof: Replace Lars Ulrich with Larnell Lewis:

I've seen that video and he (Larnell) didn't play it "correctly" he played in time, and had perhaps a better sense of rhythm but it sounded off, like being played correctly was wrong. For all the bad parts that Lars played, he also had a weird way to make them work. Metallica hired Dave Lombardo (Slayer) to play some dates with them, there are videos of that, he just didn't sound right either and anyone will say that Lombardo is a much better drummer than Lars.. Lars wrote those parts though.

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Any metal band: Eloy Casagrande
I think Eloy is highly overrated, he hits really hard which a lot of people seem to like, he would wear himself out in a death metal band way too early.
David Diepold is a much better drummer but not as well known.

Last edited:

Bozozoid

Gold Member
I'm going to my grave with this...i don't think Portnoy would be loose and rocky enough for RUSH...hes to stiff..to calculated. The guy that would be thee replacement in every way and then some is Simon Phillips. Considering his body of work and fitting supremely with everyone from fusion..to rock etc etc I believe that even Neil Peart worshipers would go whoa..hes the guy..man!. Yup.

petrez

Only drummer I wished was replaced at one time, was Lars after the millennium. Up until St.Anger I pretty much idolized the guy and he could do no wrong, I even enjoyed their Load period. Bear in mind, I was only a teenager at the time and didn't really know of that many metal drummers. But if he was replaced by someone like John Tempesta (White Zombie, Testament, The Cult) or Lombardo (I read the previous comment about him, and he was only helping out at one show, and given that they only practiced together a short time before the show, after being asked just the same day, I think he did pretty good tbh). At least in my mind, their upcoming releases would be a much more interesting listen than what was the case. If they had found some common ground to stay a band, of course...

doggyd69b

Silver Member
Only drummer I wished was replaced at one time, was Lars after the millennium. Up until St.Anger I pretty much idolized the guy and he could do no wrong, I even enjoyed their Load period. Bear in mind, I was only a teenager at the time and didn't really know of that many metal drummers. But if he was replaced by someone like John Tempesta (White Zombie, Testament, The Cult) or Lombardo (I read the previous comment about him, and he was only helping out at one show, and given that they only practiced together a short time before the show, after being asked just the same day, I think he did pretty good tbh). At least in my mind, their upcoming releases would be a much more interesting listen than what was the case. If they had found some common ground to stay a band, of course...
Replacing Lars will only sound good on anything they write themselves yes Lombardo would've given Metallica some of that Master of puppets spark back if allowed to... as long as he wrote the parts.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I loved Mangini replacing Portnoy (and I like Portnoy), But I don't think Neil can be replaced. It's a feel thing. I don't think Alex Liefson could be replaced either.
100%.
I remember reading in an article that if one left, no one would fill the position.
Quite the Three Musketeers they were. 💌

"I have spent a lot of years playing those Rush songs inside and out. I know them all, that's how I learned to do what I do."
I can't begin to tell you the amount of drumming growth I got from (trying) to play Rush songs. I studied Neil SO much as a teenager when I was just getting really serious about drumming.
He taught me more about 4-way independence than any other before him.

Last edited:

Neal Pert

I'm going to my grave with this...i don't think Portnoy would be loose and rocky enough for RUSH...hes to stiff..to calculated. The guy that would be thee replacement in every way and then some is Simon Phillips. Considering his body of work and fitting supremely with everyone from fusion..to rock etc etc I believe that even Neil Peart worshipers would go whoa..hes the guy..man!. Yup.
Funny, I was just thinking of Simon Phillips as a person who could handle the Rush drum chair. Definitely not Portnoy. That said, I don’t really think Neil is replaceable. It is one of the few drum chairs in the world that I think can’t be filled by someone else.

toddmc

Gold Member
Same with Lars Ulrich. Sure, Metallica might sound better with a better drummer--and it's hard if even possible to find a better drummer than Larnell Lewis, who seems like an awesome guy, to boot--but given that Lars is the co-worker/arranger of so much of their stuff, and was the driving business force of the band for the first however many years, it feels like you're improving a band that wouldn't actually then exist.
Exactly this ^ Lars will be the first to admit he's not the greatest drummer in the world but has been quoted saying he's the best guy to write drums to James' parts.

Sure it would be awesome to hear what they'd sound like with someone of Lombardo's calibre behind the kit but it's hard to imagine they'd achieve higher fame / fortune than what they have with Lars.