Recording with Yamaha EAD10

Hey guys been using ead19 to record abs just say down to have a wee blast..... plugged all in as before - Iphone providing the backing track with the lightning cable adapter which worked fine with the app - for today’s sesh I wasn’t using the app just the backing track (as I just wanted the EAD drums as a wav) on my iPhone which all plays fine UNTIL I hit record !!! Then backing disappears and it asks about six input source which I’ve answered both ways - yes and no......

Very strange - any ideas what’s happening or what I may be doing wrong......I want to record as I had been to usb drive which is in and connected.....

Hey guys been using ead19 to record abs just say down to have a wee blast..... plugged all in as before - Iphone providing the backing track with the lightning cable adapter which worked fine with the app - for today’s sesh I wasn’t using the app just the backing track (as I just wanted the EAD drums as a wav) on my iPhone which all plays fine UNTIL I hit record !!! Then backing disappears and it asks about six input source which I’ve answered both ways - yes and no......

Very strange - any ideas what’s happening or what I may be doing wrong......I want to record as I had been to usb drive which is in and connected.....
From what I understand man, recording to USB is a bit convoluted. You have to record the audio from the USB into the EAD10 by choosing recording source on the device and selecting your USB. And I know the recording file has to be 14.1KHZ WAV files (cd quality).
When I was trying to get my head around it, I came unstuck and I am speaking from an IT background. I found recording directly with the app easier to do. Sorry I'm not all that much help here.

I use the app all the time - for things like instagram videos etc. I have also used a scarlet interface into pro-tools for actual recording...but the app is my favorite part. Super easy to get quality audio and video.

It's amazing as a practice tool - you have your kit sound coming through some headphones with songs you can import on the app or a click in the unit itself...but you have some compression and reverb on it and it sounds like you're jamming in a studio or there's some crazy effects in there like a flanger haha.

It's great for social media - super easy to bust out a quick drum cover or snag some clips with great audio to share insanely easy.

I've used it now in a real recording capacity and I was surprised to hear that the audio track I exported with that got used on at least a few tracks.

Now having said all that - it's not perfect:

1. You get a single track exported. There's no going in and bringing up the kick drum and bringing down the snare, etc. What you get is what you get.
2. You can't record the drums flat and go back in and add the effects later. You can add other effects later if you export that track - but you can't add the "1985" preset or "HipHop" after you record a flat track - that would be awesomeeee but it just isn't that smart of a unit.
3. I've found that it's best with a 22" kick - because the microphone sits physically lower on a 18" or 16" - you pick up a lot more of the bottom head with that kind of a set up than with a 22" because of the physical location of the input. ...but - I only have 18's and 16"s haha - so with setting like "compressor" - I can still get a good sound, just not quite as beefy as some people can with the 22". I have a 22" coming in though so I'll be able to do more testing.
4. I actually really like how well it does cymbals - but I wish the toms were a little more full in the mix - but that's personal preference, it hasn't stopped me yet.
5. You can mess it up with big or funky setups. It's two mics and a trigger...so if you have a 7 piece set with 3 aux snares and cowbells hanging off the ceiling or whatever - the volume and quality of the snare or tom sound that's 6 feet away from the mic just won't be quite as good as a solid 4 piece kit with everything in decent proximity will be....but it still won't be that bad which is amazing.

Also - I've used it live on 4 shows now too and on stage isn't something a lot of people talk about so I'll share my expriences there too:

1. First gig I used it on was with my jazz trio at this big corporate gig - it was in a ball room and we had our fender passport for a PA - so it wasn't SUPER amped up - but I ran it on the "Calf Skin" setting and it actually did great giving just a little more drum sound in a big ballroom - the kick sound on that setting was great.
2. I used it at a club with my primary band which is Hip Hop / Jazz / Funk - think Galactic or Lettuce vibes....That show was a mixed bag. The stage volume was considerably higher from other instruments and since it's designed to pick up sound around it -we ended up just using normal mics because occasionally I would get trumpet cutting into my mix. Again - it wasn't THAT bad though but we didn't have time to dial it in - it was kind of an experiment.

3 and 4 were both live streams and it just CRUSHED in those two situations. The audio went into the mixer and sounded perfect. The production team was stoked at how little they had to bring in for the drums haha. The ambient volume was moderate as we did these in an art gallery - so there was some echo and we don't have a chordal instrument: bass, drums, trumpet with effects and an MC - so there isn't a ton to bleed in except the ambient sound of the trumpet - which didn't happen.

So I really nothing but good stuff to say about it as long as you use it in in a context where it makes sense to use it.

It doesn't replace real mic set ups for professional sound - but nothing on the planet beats how easy it is to set up and get dang good audio in literally a minute or so.
You're going to dig it - and the app is incredibly powerful.

You can import tunes and play along make videos on your phone, etc.

It's great!
You're going to dig it - and the app is incredibly powerful.

You can import tunes and play along make videos on your phone, etc.

It's great!
I'm looking to get the EAD10 but the main issue I'm having with the App is being able to get the songs on the phone....it's an Android so I don't have access to iTunes etc. It won't let me download anything.

I'm looking to get the EAD10 but the main issue I'm having with the App is being able to get the songs on the phone....it's an Android so I don't have access to iTunes etc. It won't let me download anything.

Ahhh - unfortunately my man, I don't have an android so I can't help you there.

You might have to go straight to Yamaha for that - or maybe someone else here on the forum can help!

Does your phone have a micro-sd card slot that you can load your music on from your computer? If not you could use Dropbox or google drive to transfer them across, you can get a small amount of space for free and just clear it out after you've finished.
Remember it has to be CD quality WAV files to record them.

On another note, I'm having a problem recording with the app, in that when listening to the music while recording (you have to put headphones into the EAD at that point) it's really quiet, even with the incoming audio up so high it starts clipping. Anyone else experienced that?

I thought you could just plug whatever audio you want into the EAD10 and record drums over it? I don't have one yet, but I'd have the same issue if not. I listen to my music via services like Spotify and don't have the ability to download songs. Besides, I prefer to use computers when I can instead of fiddling with a phone.

Hey, I need to bring up this dinosaur of a thread as I have an EAD and wanted to record me with the Module and the Rec’n’Share App (iOS).

My first issue was that I’m missing the original cable to connect Module and Sensor Unit and can’t find a shop selling this cable. What cable would work? I used a random cable and I saw that the lamps reacted but no sound out of the module.

I use an Acoustic Kit with Remo Silent Strokes and Low volume Cymbals.

But my main issue was that when I connected my iPhone to the Sensor unit (yes I have that Adapter) and I hit record and play on the App the Tune ran but I didn’t hear anything.

What would I have to do to get sound out of my module?

I wasn’t aware the original cables were any different than what’s available to buy in stores. That is an odd issue. I’m not using the BD trigger on the sensor, so only one side going to the module with triggers on the remaining inputs. That said, they are all split using store bought Y cables. Nothing special.

Hey, I need to bring up this dinosaur of a thread as I have an EAD and wanted to record me with the Module and the Rec’n’Share App (iOS).

My first issue was that I’m missing the original cable to connect Module and Sensor Unit and can’t find a shop selling this cable. What cable would work? I used a random cable and I saw that the lamps reacted but no sound out of the module.

I use an Acoustic Kit with Remo Silent Strokes and Low volume Cymbals.

But my main issue was that when I connected my iPhone to the Sensor unit (yes I have that Adapter) and I hit record and play on the App the Tune ran but I didn’t hear anything.

What would I have to do to get sound out of my module?
So your headphones actually have to be in the EAD, rather than your phone. Which is a nuisance if you have bluetooth headphones without a transmitter piece.

In terms of the cables to connect the mic to the sensor I think they are stereo cables based on the diagram. If you have mono cables they might not work.

At first I thought the EAD10 was really cool but that price tag is crazy! I have a 4pc CAD mic set, a full set of cables , all clamps/stands, and an alesis powered mixer with built in audio interface and that collectively cost me maybe $400. I could add a set of overheads and still have money left over for a pizza and a 6er at the cost of the EAD10.

At first I thought the EAD10 was really cool but that price tag is crazy! I have a 4pc CAD mic set, a full set of cables , all clamps/stands, and an alesis powered mixer with built in audio interface and that collectively cost me maybe $400. I could add a set of overheads and still have money left over for a pizza and a 6er at the cost of the EAD10.
Same, have a full set of AKG mics @900 and Focusrite 18i20, DAW, etc. tried the EAD once, but didn’t really care for it. Tried it again after reading all the rave reviews and none of what o had experienced was being posted so tried it again and the experience was night and day. Not sure what the real issues was with the first one, but it was used so anyone’s guess.

For live, I’ll still go with the full mic set if I can, but EAD is so easy and fast, for quiet drumming and practice, there’s no contest. EAD just kills it.

when I record over a song on iPhone using recn share, I don’t hear my drum set after recording. While I play all is fine though. I reduced the song volume but still the same result. Any idea?
Thank in adavnce

Back