PST 10/12 splash stack overtones

masshead

Hi all,

Hope you're good. I recently got a PST 10/12 splash stack and have been mucking around with it. I'm hearing a (quite aggressive) high overtone near the end of the sound. It is loud enough for me to not use these, but I'm sure I'm setting them up wrong.

I use Tama stands, and seem to run out of room on the cymbal holder using the two cymbals, felts provided and wing nut so that I protect the cymbals from keyholing but also mount the stack.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what. I looked around but search engines defeated me, yet again.

Please help!

Thank you

Attachments

• DSC_0907.JPG
    DSC_0907.JPG
    190.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0906.JPG
    DSC_0906.JPG
    193.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0904.JPG
    DSC_0904.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 8
aggressive high overtones on a Paiste
let me get some research info on that and get back with ya..

ok are you playing in an arena setting? evidently they work fine there, 30,000 sq. ft. on up recommended.
and from what I've read a bonus: they are consistent.

Do you have any black electrical tape? you can try muting various areas
with 1 or 2 inch pieces

Last edited:
Hey jda. I'm just in a drum room. I haven't used them at a gig or recording just yet. I can tape them, but prefer not to - I saw some videos online and (although audio can be adjusted) they played pretty nice, so I presumed I'm doing something wrong... But then again, it's metal on metal, maybe that's how they sound?

is there another way to mount that bottom cymbal? I don't "see" a picture of "correct" way on the website

will or how's it work with bottom cymbal flipped/reversed

soundfile for the 12/10 is a short sound on Paiste website "soundroom"..

Hi all,

Hope you're good. I recently got a PST 10/12 splash stack and have been mucking around with it. I'm hearing a (quite aggressive) high overtone near the end of the sound. It is loud enough for me to not use these, but I'm sure I'm setting them up wrong.

I use Tama stands, and seem to run out of room on the cymbal holder using the two cymbals, felts provided and wing nut so that I protect the cymbals from keyholing but also mount the stack.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but not sure what. I looked around but search engines defeated me, yet again.

Please help!

Thank you
It looks like you've mounted them the right way. The inverted cymbal on the bottom with bell up and the one with holes on the top.
Do you have a felt between the two cymbals? Just asking because on the 2nd pic it looks like that and these stacks shouldn't have a felt between the cymbals (so they can move freely).

Back