Phil Rudd

I did not know this. He would have a legitimate claim that AC/DC is his band, plus some co-writing. Neither of which have i ever heard him claim.
Listen closely, Angus mentions these things quickly and in passing.

I grew in Australia up going to see AC/DC just about every weekend. If anything the band is a product of immigrants embracing Australian culture or lack there of, Phil Rudd can lay claim to being part of that. I know I saw him do it.

I did not know this. He would have a legitimate claim that AC/DC is his band, plus some co-writing. Neither of which have i ever heard him claim.
Listen closely, Angus mentions these things quickly and in passing.

I watched it, but I must have missed it. What was it that made you think Rudd may have a stake in the band?

He mentioned in passing that
a) Phil payed for their space back when
b) he also was a deciding vote for keeping guitar riffs

Somewhat related here - Phil's drum sound on the "For Those About To Rock" album is fantastic - maybe one of the best recorded on any rock album I have ever heard. Not to mention his playing - which is rock solid, as always.

I watched it, but I must have missed it. What was it that made you think Rudd may have a stake in the band?
I didn't interpret it that way either
I heard it as Angus saying Phil thought the riff was cool (which any band member might say of a new riff and didn't suggest that Phil had a casting vote) followed by a pause and the statement "paid the rent" meaning that High Voltage the song has gone on to pay the rent.
All this being said I bought just last week one of the AC/DC books that is widely considered to be one of the definitive biographies and when I get round to reading it I'll happily report back any findings, but I'll say in advance that Angus and Malcolm's older brother George was an established producer and Australian pop star due to his work in The Easybeats. His access to music resources and the close knit nature of the three bothers suggest to me that he would have seen to it that that their rent was covered.

Interview is from around 2000/20001.
Interesting to hear MY explain how integral Phil Rudd was to creating "their sound" vs. the other drummers that had played with AC/DC. That his style swings more and the others were "stiffer."
Quite the compliments and endorsement that PR was "It" and they needed him back.

And then PR explaining how simple his technique is, that he's lacking somewhat but when he gets into it, it seems to work well- humble guy.

The very last sentence: " . . . that's about the only way I can (laughing) defend the way I play drums"

:ROFLMAO: That was cool!

I've always held Rudd in the highest regard. He's sometimes rebuked for his simplicity, particularly by those who labor under the delusion that every drum part should consist of clinic chops, but his barebones style is the basis of his greatness. It allows his feel to shine, which is the primary ingredient in elite drumming. AC/DC would be a shell of itself without him.

Last edited:
I am totally in Camp Bon, and, honestly haven't liked or really listened to AC/DC in ages, but, Rudd is a solid machine as a time keeper without a doubt.
Not every performance (or, even, every drummer) needs to always show off all the chops, all the time. He does the right thing in the right place, imo.

I love Phil. He Just Works with AC/DC. The first time I heard Back In Black. The count off to the heavy guitars. As a young boy the whole beat just blew me away. The entire album and all the albums he has played on. I will never get tired of hearing him play drums.
For me its Powerage. Never forget the first time I head Bullet to Bite On....off the scale, the writing the clarity. Powerage has just the right amount of raw...everything since is way too polished.

For me its Powerage. Never forget the first time I head Bullet to Bite On....off the scale, the writing the clarity. Powerage has just the right amount of raw...everything since is way too polished.
Powerage is absolutely fabulous jimb, I agree with you on that, although IMHO Back in Black and For Those About to Rock, produced by Mutt Lange, had polish without being overly technical. Prior to the live recording If You Want Blood, Harry Vsnda and George Young produced more gritty, less polished hits like Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap and the bluesy Ride On and The Jack.
Starting with Flick of the Switch things weren’t the same even though Rudd was on that album.
Despite the ‘simplistic’ drums pre 1983 AC/DC was and still is my favorite rock band of all time. I could listen to them all day long and never tire of the sound.

Listen to how and where he places crash accents :)

Lots of back beat and syncopated accents. I had rarely heard that done before this album came out.
Also dynamic high hat, heavy on the 1 and 3. So simple and nuanced, yet a huge part of their sound.

Last edited:
So, nothing on his corporate style sober look?
I thought that was striking, and ok, kinda cool old man
In case you haven’t noticed, most drummers (including the legends) are actually just regular guys with exceptional talent, drive and fellow bands members. When not on stage or in studio they have lives including family, friends and hobbies like racing or tennis. Corporate? No I’d say classy.

Back