Phil Rudd

Axe

The only song I really like is Money Talks...and Razors Edge too I guess. So my vote goes for Slade!

Rudd could do a lot more then he does without overplaying. That whole "right for the song" stuff always refers to boring people.

I appreciate your comment. I think Phil shows courage "to have a go" on a solo project besides the mastodon of AC/DC...

I got this when I came out in the UK a few months ago. I'm a big fan of Phil's playing and AC/DC in general. the lead single is OK, but....... in my opinion the album is terrible to be honest.

It's Phil plus two local musicians he met in a pub (allegedly) and to be frank, it sounds like it. Great for a Phil completist but it's not going to win any prizes

mpthomson

I appreciate your comment. I think Phil shows courage "to have a go" on a solo project besides the mastodon of AC/DC...

It does and I agree completely. I just hoped it would be better than it's turned out to be.

I know for Phil it's just a chance to play what he wants to and some of it doesn't sound that much like AC/DC, it's just not a very good album that wouldn't have been released if Phil wasn't....well, Phil!

The single release is by far the best thing on the album.

poekoelan

One thing I always liked about his drumming is how he would set up a chorus by loosening up on the hi hat. And the way he would sometimes accent the quarter note in eight note patterns on the hi hat. Very effective. Like on "You Shook Me All Night Long".

mpthomson

thanks mate...sorry!...

heard Procol Harum Drummer B J wilson drummed for Flick of the switch but they used Simon Wright' s track for the album...when Ruddy walked out of the studio.

all good....
You're right to say that BJ Wilson laid down some tracks but these were never used, however the drum parts that appear on the album on the album are all Phil. Simon W appears on the promo clips and then toured but the playing is Phil's and audibly so.

If you listen to anything from Fly on the Wall the stylistic differences are very obvious.

StaggerLee

Silver Member
I rather like Phils playing, its certainly perfect for the music he plays and what more can you ask for? Some bits are deceptively hard to replicate and i find he doesn't always fill out the song quite nice, knowing that there doesn't always have to be a constant barrage of drums in a rock band.

westoz

I only just learnt it was not Phil Rudd playing on the 1975 High Voltage album. I grew up my whole life, and only found yesterday (due to the current TV promotion of the book "the Youngs - History of AC DC"), thinking that Phil Rudd was drumming on that original album. Was a guy called Tony Currenti who played with various other Vanda and Young projects.

I guess a lot of you know this already, but I was surprised as I thought the style on that 1975 album defined the simplicity of Phil Rudd - but it wasn't him....

(Tony said he played every track on the album except Baby Please Don't Go)
I recently read the same thing , the reason being he didn't join the band full time was that he had an Italian passport and could not travel overseas with the band .

westoz

For me , it's the machine like timing Phil has while doing the very subtle things like an open high hat for a beat or a small roll across 1 or 2 toms , or just low and slow through a dirty song like " Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution " .
That for me says Mr Phil Rudd played here .

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I recently read the same thing , the reason being he didn't join the band full time was that he had an Italian passport and could not travel overseas with the band .

I think you'll find the simple fact that High Voltage was recorded in '74, before Rudd joined the band ('75) as being the sole reason why he didn't play the sessions.

Not sure why he'd have an Italian passport though. He was born here in Melbourne and was of Lithuanian descent. I can understand a passport from either of those two nations, but Italian seems a bit dubious. Any link to the source?

Last edited:

westoz

I think you'll find the simple fact that High Voltage was recorded in '74, before Rudd joined the band ('75) as being the sole reason why he didn't play the sessions.

Not sure why he'd have an Italian passport though. He was born here in Melbourne and was of Lithuanian descent. I can understand a passport from either of those two nations, but Italian seems a bit dubious. Any link to the source?
The story was in news.com with a link to either the Daily Telegraph or the Advertiser but I can't find it now , perhaps not the most reliable source . As for the passport I can't verify that as it was mentioned in the same story for 2-3 days ago .
If I find it I will post it out of interest .
Sorry

mpthomson

PFOG, just to clear up any confusion it's Tony Currenti who had an Italian passport and therefore travel issues, not Phil Rudd!

Anon La Ply

Renegade
Here's hoping the press are up to their usual tricks and the headline reads far worse than the actual charges.
+1.

What got me wondering is how the article says how Phil has "been in trouble before" and then refers a weed bust in 2010, as though it's a sign of bad portents - not exactly objective.

mpthomson

Wow. He's just been charged by NZ police for trying to procure a murder along with assorted drug offenses.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/acdc-drummer-phil-rudd-charged-with-attempting-to-procure-a-murder-in-new-zealand/story-e6frfmq9-1227114544111

Here's hoping the press are up to their usual tricks and the headline reads far worse than the actual charges.
'Attempting to procure' is the actual charge, so unfortunately it probably is as bad as it looks. Innocent until proven guilty and all that, but it would explain his absence from the recent London album photoshoot.