Must.....resist.... more drums... (Inside: Gretsch Renown RN2 Exclusive)

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Oh man, I just bought a whole new set of golf clubs and now 'casually' browsing Sweetwater after GearFest, came across this set. Real nice color, 7-ply maple with 30 degree edges. RN2 has had good reviews here on DWorld. Even comes with a virgin 22x14 kick and the perfect amount and sized toms for my needs.

What's the problem you say? Well, my Ludwig Classic Maples (in a very similar config) have been serving me extremely well... I also have a DW Frequent Flyer in rotation and a TAMA B/B Limited Edition stacked up at home.

Gotta love choices! :)

It's called the Internet. Its purpose is to utilize boredom as a spur for spending. Its primary mode of assault? The more convinced you become that you don't need something, the closer you inch toward getting it. Most resistance is temporary. Attainment is a cavalier click away.

I'd say the Internet has been a smashing success so far.

I feel ya. Three snare drums in 6 months is it or me. I'm done for a long while. He said.

I use it to see what's new or interesting, but I am completely set for gear (besides sticks, heads, etc) and, also, broke, so the internet has no love from (or for) me.
Also, I agree with your assessment, generally.

It's called the Internet. Its purpose is to utilize boredom as a spur for spending. Its primary mode of assault? The more convinced you become that you don't need something, the closer you inch toward getting it. Most resistance is temporary. Attainment is a cavalier click away.

I'd say the Internet has been a smashing success so far.

Oh man, I just bought a whole new set of golf clubs and now 'casually' browsing Sweetwater after GearFest, came across this set. Real nice color, 7-ply maple with 30 degree edges. RN2 has had good reviews here on DWorld. Even comes with a virgin 22x14 kick and the perfect amount and sized toms for my needs.

What's the problem you say? Well, my Ludwig Classic Maples (in a very similar config) have been serving me extremely well... I also have a DW Frequent Flyer in rotation and a TAMA B/B Limited Edition stacked up at home.

Gotta love choices! :)

All condemnation of internet commerce aside:

I think that's an awesome kit - I've never seen that color on a renown before and I love it.

It actually reminds me of @AzHeat's Brooklyns!

I don't know if that's an upgrade over the Classic Maples...from what I can tell those are more on par with the Brooklyn's - at least price wise...so while I love the Gretsch drums a lot - I'm not sure it's any benefit to pick this up unless you're wanting to give the Luddies a break.

Oh they look definately sweet, great sizes and colour ! It's sure difficult to resist : Don't forget the matching 14x6,5" !

Last edited:
Pretty kit. Nice sizes for peeps that play 1 up 2 dn. Just remember that when they say exclusive you'll likely never be able to get any add on drums for it. RN2's are really nice tho. I say BUY !! :cool:

Oh man is right!

The Renowns are amazing kits. I would be incredibly tempted by that offer too. That kick drum is the perfect size.

Pretty kit. Nice sizes for peeps that play 1 up 2 dn. Just remember that when they say exclusive you'll likely never be able to get any add on drums for it. RN2's are really nice tho. I say BUY !! :cool:
They show add on sizes on the page. Satisfaction is merely a click away!

Should I join the incorrigible chorus and implore Trip to purchase a kit for which, by his own account, he has no pragmatic use? My soul swings amid winds of despair. I'm more inclined to sit back and observe this comical thread of temptation. It's a medieval morality play in the making. Temperance versus Avarice. The battle knows no boundaries.

I'm gonna try this a different way.

I just bought a whole new set of golf clubs

A whole new set leads me to believe this is a second set. Either way you purchased both woods and irons and maybe a putter. What kind (please say Ping)? Off the shelf or custom shop? Got a bag yet? Got covers? Got a cart?

You need a new glove to match your new bag and covers. Your shoes should match also.

You are going to need balls and tees. Tees are cheap, balls not so much unless you like to play X-outs.

If you like to keep your balls, you need a ball retrevial tool. It's good for getting your hands on other folks balls too. If they had a retrevial tool, their balls would not be in your hands. Buy the tool, it's cheaper than paying for more balls.

Umbrellas are nice in case of rain. Just dont be a pansy and hide from the sun with it lol.

Now you have to use this stuff. I haven't been to a course in over 20 years. Last I remember it cost about $100 in greens fees and a shared cart at the local public 18 hole course. I'm sure it's probably more now.

Do you still need more drums?

I'm gonna try this a different way.

A whole new set leads me to believe this is a second set. Either way you purchased both woods and irons and maybe a putter. What kind (please say Ping)? Off the shelf or custom shop? Got a bag yet? Got covers? Got a cart?

You need a new glove to match your new bag and covers. Your shoes should match also.

You are going to need balls and tees. Tees are cheap, balls not so much unless you like to play X-outs.

If you like to keep your balls, you need a ball retrevial tool. It's good for getting your hands on other folks balls too. If they had a retrevial tool, their balls would not be in your hands. Buy the tool, it's cheaper than paying for more balls.

Umbrellas are nice in case of rain. Just dont be a pansy and hide from the sun with it lol.

Now you have to use this stuff. I haven't been to a course in over 20 years. Last I remember it cost about $100 in greens fees and a shared cart at the local public 18 hole course. I'm sure it's probably more now.

Do you still need more drums?

Heck, based upon that litany of costs and associated fees, I'd give up golf and get the drums.

Trip, I'm not encouraging you to buy the kit -- just commenting on the exorbitance of golfing.

Heck, based upon that litany of costs and associated fees, I'd give up golf and get the drums.
I like it much more now that I dont actually play it. I like hitting the ball. The rest, not so much.

A trip to the driving range, or hitting a tennis ball for a dog to fetch far outweighs any enjoyment I thought I was getting from all that walking and trying to find my ball.

I like it much more now that I dont actually play it. I like hitting the ball. The rest, not so much.

A trip to the driving range, or hitting a tennis ball for a dog to fetch far outweighs any enjoyment I thought I was getting from all that walking and trying to find my ball.

I was a serious baseball and tennis player at one time but never got into golf. Too much standing around for me. Nothing against the game itself, just not something I've ever wanted to invest myself in.

It would be funny if this thread spawned a mass purchase of golf equipment instead.

I was a serious baseball and tennis player at one time but never got into golf. Too much standing around for me. Nothing against the game itself, just not something I've ever wanted to invest myself in.

It would be funny if this thread spawned a mass purchase of golf equipment instead.
I dont care for baseball. I'm not good at tennis at all.

Golf is best approached like drums. Start out buying used. You don't need Taylor Made or Ping or whatever. Just a good set of clubs. They dont have to match but it's nice. Tons of people buy clubs to find out they dont have the patience to learn to hit the ball. Their clubs can be had for a deal. Sometimes with the bag and cart too. I see good stuff on CL out the door for $150 or less all the time. Golf and drums are similar. It takes repetition, lots and lots of it. It's a bit more frustrating I think. And way too much chasing the ball around just to hit and chase it again.

Back