Must.....resist.... more drums... (Inside: Gretsch Renown RN2 Exclusive)

Noisy

I dont care for baseball. I'm not good at tennis at all.

Golf is best approached like drums. Start out buying used. You don't need Taylor Made or Ping or whatever. Just a good set of clubs. They dont have to match but it's nice. Tons of people buy clubs to find out they dont have the patience to learn to hit the ball. Their clubs can be had for a deal. Sometimes with the bag and cart too. I see good stuff on CL out the door for $150 or less all the time. Golf and drums are similar. It takes repetition, lots and lots of it. It's a bit more frustrating I think. And way too much chasing the ball around just to hit and chase it again.
Why would drummers pay to go where they aren’t allowed to make loud noises? 😉

Trip McNealy

Gold Member
Hahaha, all you guys are funny! No extra kits for me at this time; just thought I'd share a really nice RN2 setup that I came across! My Ludwig CM's (as a maple kit) are already close enough in configuration and makeup so it would be redundant to have the Gretsch at this time.

To digress from the OT, golf is my other 'hobby' that I more or less have been enjoying for half the amount of time I've been drumming. The difference between the two though is drums are WAYYYY less aggravating [if at all]... ha!!

TK-421

It would be funny if this thread spawned a mass purchase of golf equipment instead.
Funny that you say that.

Drum Workshop Inc. is proud to announce the all-new Pebble Beach Series™ of professional drums. Made of reclaimed wood from Arnold Palmer's personal collection of Wilson® "Shot Maker" drivers—including one that he famously used to win the 1972 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach—the new Pebble Beach Series™ offers a unique sound that's as explosive as one of Mr. Palmer's legendary 300-yard drives.

According to John Good, DW Drums’ Executive Vice President and Drum Designer, "I wanted to create something truly unique, something that's never been done before, and that represents the great spirit of California. Plus, I kinda like golf. And I've gotta say, we've done literally every other gimmick in the book. I mean, like every. Single. One. So I said, why the f*** not?"

Handcrafted in DW's California Custom Shop, the Pebble Beach Series™ is a groundbreaking line of drums that represents the pinnacle of precision instrument making. Featuring 6-ply shells, custom golf ball-inspired turret lugs, unique TruePitch™ tuning rods designed to mimic golf tees, and a specially-designed bio-wrap that grows real Bermuda grass, every kit will come with a miniature lawn mower so you can keep your drums' finish in perfect putting shape.

And to truly celebrate the spirit of an 18-hole golf course, every Pebble Beach Series™ kit will be sold as a full 18-piece shell bank consisting of 6”, 8”, 10”, 12”, 13” and 14” toms, 14”, 15”, 16” and 18” floor toms, 18”, 20”, 22”, 23” (an exclusive DW Drums size) and 24” bass drums, a 20” gong bass drum, and custom 5.5x13” and 6.5x14” DW Edge® snare drums.

Look for the Pebble Beach Series™ exclusively at 5-Star Golf Shops beginning in the Fall of 2020.

Last edited:

IBitePrettyHard

The kick is 22x14. :oops:

What I would give to have the 22x14 next to a 22x18 so I could compare them side by side...settle that debate once and for all, haha.

C.M. Jones

Funny that you say that.

Drum Workshop Inc. is proud to announce the all-new Pebble Beach Series™ of professional drums. Made of reclaimed wood from Arnold Palmer's personal collection of Wilson® "Shot Maker" drivers—including one that he famously used to win the 1972 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach—the new Pebble Beach Series™ offers a unique sound that's as explosive as one of Mr. Palmer's legendary 300-yard drives.

According to John Good, DW Drums’ Executive Vice President and Drum Designer, "I wanted to create something truly unique, something that's never been done before, and that represents the great spirit of California. Plus, I kinda like golf. And I've gotta say, we've done literally every other gimmick in the book. I mean, like every. Single. One. So I said, why the f*** not?"

Handcrafted in DW's California Custom Shop, the Pebble Beach Series™ is a groundbreaking line of drums that represents the pinnacle of precision instrument making. Featuring 6-ply shells, custom golf ball-inspired turret lugs, unique TruePitch™ tuning rods designed to mimic golf tees, and a specially-designed bio-wrap that grows real Bermuda grass, every kit will come with a miniature lawn mower so you can keep your drums' finish in perfect putting shape.

Look for the Pebble Beach Series™ exclusively at 5-Star Golf Shops beginning in the Fall of 2020.
Desperate and depressing. Further analysis would be pointless.

Last edited:

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Golf doesn't hold my interest. Drums hold my interest. Maybe because I can play drums in my living room. Even if it's raining. No fees.

wraub

Um... is it wrong that I want this to be fake, and yet I so want this to be real? :D

Funny that you say that.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Funny that you say that.

I really hope this is a joke. Arnold Palmer has a warehouse full of clubs. It would be ludacris to purchase all of the woods, disassemble them, cut them up, and turn into drums. It would be piccolo heaven. And being that AP is dead, and is such a huge figure in golf, it would almost be insulting to chop up his collection and build drums out of it.

If this is even remotely close to being a complete thought, I dont see it happening. Golf is bigger and has more $$$ than drums. Tiger Woods could easily buy the whole collection and stop this. Or Phil Mickelson. Or Rory McIlroy. Or Jack Nicklaus. The list of super rich golfers is pretty astounding.

I would equate it to Richard Petty taking Bermudas cymbal collection and turning it into wrenches you can only purchase at AutoZone.

I really hope this is a joke.

C.M. Jones

I really hope this is a joke.
What makes it the ultimate joke is that it isn't in jest at all. Owing to my commitment to good taste and my desire to avoid libelous statements, I have no interest in bashing a given manufacturer. In this case, however, silence is tough to sustain. Regardless, I'll surrender myself to maturity and write nothing more on the topic. The fact that this puerile marketing scheme is even in existence should be blighting enough for all parties involved.

NouveauCliche

Funny that you say that.

If this isn't a joke - you should absolutely start a drum focused satire website or instagram page.

You know what I wouldn't mind though - since we're nearing the topic of Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance - the one cross over I wouldn't mind seeing is something automotive - but not like the Renown 57's where they went vintage... but I'd like to see what style of lugs and hardware Pininfarina could come up with for a DW (or whoever). Just a one off super high end Pininfarina designed kit from the ground up with some kind of beautiful classic Ferrari red like the 365 GTS/4 .

That would be quite the thing to see.

TK-421

What makes it the ultimate joke is that it isn't in jest at all. Owing to my commitment to good taste and my desire to avoid libelous statements, I have no interest in bashing a given manufacturer. In this case, however, silence is tough to sustain. Regardless, I'll surrender myself to maturity and write nothing more on the topic. The fact that this puerile marketing scheme is even in existence should be blighting enough for all parties involved.
OF COURSE THIS IS A JOKE!!!

The funniest thing is I tried to make this sound as ludicrous as possible, but since I chose to use DW as the crux of my joke, it actually came across as slightly plausible (can anyone honestly say "Timeless Timber Romanian Bog Oak" or "DW Woofer" with a straight face?)

Just the thought of John Good snatching up Arnold Palmer's personal collection of vintage drivers and turning them into drums is crazy enough, but then I upped the ante with all of the insane "details": golf ball-inspired lugs, golf tee tuning rods, and a wrap that grows real Bermuda grass! Even a miniature lawn mower to mow your drums!!!! Trust me, I was laughing my ass off writing this "press release"! :) Then this morning I had the thought to sell them only as an 18-piece shell pack, because why not??? So I added that paragraph this AM.

And it's not like I didn't leave a ton of clues that it's all a joke. I mean, look at that "quote" I wrote for John Good: "...And I've gotta say, we've done literally every other gimmick in the book. I mean, like every. Single. One. So I said, why the f*** not?"

I've been laughing so hard about this. I think it's some of my finest work to date!

Maybe I'll turn this into an annual April Fools Day joke, and see who falls for it!

NouveauCliche

The funniest thing is I tried to make this sound as ludicrous as possible, but since I chose to use DW as the crux of my joke, it actually came across as slightly plausible (can anyone honestly say "Timeless Timber Romanian Bog Oak" or "DW Woofer" with a straight face?)

Just the thought of John Good snatching up Arnold Palmer's personal collection of vintage drivers and turning them into drums is crazy enough, but then I upped the ante with all of the insane "details": golf ball-inspired lugs, golf tee tuning rods, and a wrap that grows real Bermuda grass! Even a miniature lawn mower to mow your drums!!!! Trust me, I was laughing my ass off writing this "press release"! :) Then this morning I had the thought to sell them only as an 18-piece shell pack, because why not??? So I added that paragraph this AM.

And it's not like I didn't leave a ton of clues that it's all a joke. I mean, look at that "quote" I wrote for John Good: "...And I've gotta say, we've done literally every other gimmick in the book. I mean, like every. Single. One. So I said, why the f*** not?"

I've been laughing so hard about this. I think it's some of my finest work to date!

Maybe I'll turn this into an annual April Fools Day joke, and see who falls for it!
John Good is probably wondering "Why are people googling 'DW Pebble Beach'?" haha

You watch - this is now in the pipeline for 2021.

C.M. Jones

It's impossible to express my staggering relief. I was awaiting confirmation that sanity still existed. Unfortunately, you've likely implanted an idea that said manufacturer will be implementing this fall. Get your golf gloves ready.

TK-421

Unfortunately, you've likely implanted an idea that said manufacturer will be implementing this fall. Get your golf gloves ready.
I don't think that even John Good would think this is a good idea. I mean, how many drivers would it take to craft a full drum set, even a normal sized one (not the 18-piece behemoth I described). And even if you were to attempt this, it's not like you'd buy up Arnold Palmer's personal collection to do so. It would be sacrilege!

Wait, that gives me an idea:
Introducing DW Sacril-Edge® Snare Drums, made of wood reclaimed from the actual cross used crucify Jesus Christ.

(Now I know I'm going straight to Hell!) :)

Last edited:

C.M. Jones

I don't think that even John Good would think this is a good idea. I mean, how many drivers would it take to craft a full drum set, even a normal sized one (not the 18-piece behemoth I described). And even if you were to attempt this, it's not like you'd buy up Arnold Palmer's personal collection to do so. It would be sacrilege!

Wait, that gives me an idea:
Introducing DW Sacril-Edge® Snare Drums, made of wood reclaimed from the actual cross used crucify Jesus Christ.

(Now I know I'm going straight to Hell!) :)
Don't undersell yourself. The manufacturer in question might offer top dollar for your concepts. Compared to its other stunts, your ideas aren't so outlandish.