Hmmm, Which Finish?

Here an article with popularity percentages of Vintage Gretsch RB drum colors and finishes ( I know that's not what you are getting). It's a different way to consider color options. https://www.notsomoderndrummer.com/...2022/8/1/vintage-gretsch-round-badge-finishes

Some finishes date themselves quickly, while others seem to transcend time and look great forever.

If it's to be a once and done deal (which is often not the case with drummers because... well, life happens, lol), I highly recommend taking the wife to see the finishes IRL. It could make all the difference in the world. She may see something entirely different and think it's gorgeous! :cool:

Last edited:
those two examples are from two of the 3 Gretsch USA series (usac, brkl, Bk)
in other words there's slight satin option differences available depending on which series chosen. That's
how it looks when looking at the online catalog (but sometimes color crossing special orders do occur..

Pretty nice. see the black you posted is a satin Black Metallic in Brooklyn series

Have her go thru the entire color chart and let her pick : ) We can't see color from behind 😁 anyways
& the Satin mahogany does have nice grain running thru it;
all those satin finishes go thru the same steps the Usac and Broadkasters do.
Classy

Is she blonde ;)
GB_TOM_SN-lg.jpg

that would be easy to talk into..

Redhead?

GB_TOM_SBO-lg.jpg

GB_TOM_SCR-lg.jpg

possibilities endless..

Wait a second..
GB_TOM_SMD-lg.jpg

GB_TOM_SIBM-lg.jpg

Greying a little? Gretsch has you covered in Brooklyn.
Say "I'm doing it for you, hon"

Last edited:
I am shopping for a new kit, yeah, I know I will get more for my mo why used, but I only get to buy this once.

It is really hard choosing which finish. I like wood satin lacquer finishes and, truth be told, my wife doesn’t like flashy finishes.

So, I am down to Black Ebony Satin and Mahogany Satin, but I am not sure which is cooler.

On one hand, black is pretty classic, but is it too generic?

Mahogany is cool, but will I grow tired of it?

So, what are your thoughts on finishes?
View attachment 144851View attachment 144852
That finish you pulled off in the Hudson River was my favourite. 👍

Drummer's listen with their eyes too much.
Take her to a drum shop and let her make the decision.
Happy wife...happy life.
That is why I now own red drums. Peace and goodwill.

So, I am down to Black Ebony Satin
isn't on the list of Brooklyn choices
Satin Black Metallic is

isn't on the list of Brooklyn choices
Satin Black Metallic is
It was replaced with black metallic a few months ago. There are still a few around.

Reactions: jda
I'd do your best to see them in person if you can. There have been more than a few finishes I didn't really like until I saw them in person.

Drummer's listen with their eyes too much.
Take her to a drum shop and let her make the decision.
Happy wife...happy life.
Let his wife make the decision? Why? That smacks of years ago when car salesmen used to say, "Let your wife pick the color." Pretty sexist in this day and age. Shouldn't he make the decision about what he wants? He's going to play them, not her.

OP, just my opinion, but perhaps consider a fade in a glossy lacquer instead. Like this. By all means, buy what you want; I'm just presenting an option.

1712063372829.png

Back