Has Anyone Played the New Premier Elites?

that Diamond Chrome R/R plating was a novel thing but after 5/10 years the chrome on a kit-if it held up well- and wasn't Diamond chrome, who cared.
I'm sorry! I liked the look of the Premier black dot heads with the clear center "hole".
never had them forgot what they were called.. Everplay Extra something?

I guess we will just have to wait and see, but at the moment the Genista Maple is still on top of my want list. In my opinion, they look better than the PDP and Superstar (yes, I have played both), and seeing as I'm based in Europe, I can't seem to find any Barton kit anywhere close to be a real contender (shipping the Premiers from G4M to Norway is fairly cheap). We'll see, and again, apologize for not talking about the Elites in this thread.

Last edited:
I guess we will just have to wait and see, but at the moment the Genista Maple is still on top of my want list. In my opinion, they look better than the PDP and Superstar (yes, I have played both), and seeing as I'm based in Europe, I can't seem to find any Barton kit anywhere close to be a real contender (shipping the Premiers from G4M in Britain is fairly cheap). We'll see, and again, apologize for not talking about the Elites in this thread.

I think these Artist drums are the equivalent of PDP and Supterstar or Performer https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/premier-artist-drums

Regarding the Genista and especially the Elite.. they are pretty darn nice.. these are not cheapo drums with cheap hardware or cutting corners etc except for heads which it seems most people change out anyway.. You can see the build up close in that RDavidR vid on the Genista .. .. The only drum with rings in the shell like the Elite is something like DW Collectors or Pearl Masters Reserve.

4 piece Genista is $1699 at this place https://www.musickltd.com/shop

Al, I've got TWO Elite 24" bass drums- the second I bought on eBay a few years ago with the intention of having it re-covered to match the other for my jumbo concert-tom kit, but never got around to it.
It needs to be stripped & refinished, but AFAIK is structurally sound. According to "She Who Must Be Obeyed", it needs to go, so if you're interested, you can have it free gratis..... Let me know if you're interested;)(y)
Very kind of you to offer mate, but it’s the maple/birch hybrid with the unique lugs I’m after…see my Blaby baby below: :) (y)
IMG_0070.jpeg

Personally I've a soft spot for Premier, even just for the Keith Moon and Phil Collins connection. I also feel that the Genistas come across extremely well under microphones. But IMHO what they should really do (after they've raised enough starting fund) is to re-release the thin, mahogany-shelled Elites, the kit that Keith and Phil made history with.
Sidebar- Collins and Premier...? I've only known him as a Gretsch endorser. Did he play Premiers in the studio at some point?

If anyone else in the UK wants a free gratis 24x14" Premier Elite bass drum, in need of refurbishment but with decent tom post, lugs, etc. let me know. Unfortunately, I won't be posting it, so collection only from deepest darkest Leicester (UK).🤪

Sidebar- Collins and Premier...? I've only known him as a Gretsch endorser. Did he play Premiers in the studio at some point?
He was an endorser for quite some time in the 70s/early 80s. I recall him saying that Premier were the only ones interested in offering him a deal in the early days. Then, he played Pearl around the time of the eponymous album, then Gretsch scooped him up. Curiously, he always sounds like Phil!

Dan

even brought the Artist series back..
The new Artists look a bit like XPK or APK's to me. They won't likely sound half bad, but I'm not sure if they are similar to the Artists of yesteryear.
"In The Air Tonight" was Premier. I've read that he used a combo of Premier toms with a Gretsch kick up until Abacab, which contained some of my favourite drum sounds and playing. It seemed about Live Aid when he finally went all Gretsch.

that Diamond Chrome R/R plating was a novel thing but after 5/10 years the chrome on a kit-if it held up well- and wasn't Diamond chrome, who cared.
I'm sorry! I liked the look of the Premier black dot heads with the clear center "hole".
never had them forgot what they were called.. Everplay Extra something?
See my last, there's no connection between Premier's chrome and RR's.

I just used "R/R" loosely..as it's sometimes referred to as
my point was after a few years- if (other brands) chrome holds up- how important was it? that (Premier's) was super-luster . It's often cited as "Oh Premiers chrome" but yea but what about the 390 holder's? ; ) The luster-chrome didn't cancel or wasn't enough to cancel, some of the other failings (is-was my point +/- "not that big of a deal the creamy Chrome" +/- (my 66 Gretsch chrome plating lasted just as long just as well- so in the end - it was a draw.. (sales draw- no pun. Fail to see (again visual- no pun) the long term benefit.
...the diamond chrome may have adhered better as you never? see the slender die cast, hoops, lugs, flake or chip, ..maybe.

Last edited:
Listening to that -took me back to 'my' 1971 bought new Prem's..
The mahogany with rings International shells; the toms in Particular.
that "wet" throaty sound..

"here's near same size set I had"
with the slender die cast , an 8x14 mounted tt I had one not two

View attachment 139101
This red sparkle Premier set is an exact duplicate of the one Keith Moon used for a while, as you probably know. I am seriously tempted to pull the trigger on it.

I'm mildly but not overly sentimental with drums....once thru Ludwig (my 1st) Premier (my 2nd) ..then Gretsch...then Tama ..then a few others . I landed squarely with US Gretsch ..die cast and all. Have a few Ludwig WFL deep and shallow snares for an occasional diversion (reminder

Last edited:
Are the "cold pressed" drums from British Drum Co. too expensive? Are they not undersized like the Premiere drums?

Back