Has Anyone Played the New Premier Elites?

Curious to hear opinions.
Listening to that -took me back to 'my' 1971 bought new Prem's..
The mahogany with rings International shells; the toms in Particular.
that "wet" throaty sound..

"here's near same size set I had"
with the slender die cast , an 8x14 mounted tt I had one not two

008.JPG

Last edited:
I see "Fork's" is a US dealer

" A blended shell comprised of 2-ply North American birch and 2-ply North American maple, beech support rings and a 3mm undersized tom diameter. The Elite’s new thin shell construction, at 4.8mm thick, relays every nuance of your live performance."

same Beech rerings as my 71's.. : )

I see "Fork's" is a US dealer

" A blended shell comprised of 2-ply North American birch and 2-ply North American maple, beech support rings and a 3mm undersized tom diameter. The Elite’s new thin shell construction, at 4.8mm thick, relays every nuance of your live performance."

same Beech rerings as my 71's.. : )

Same price point, roughly, as Pearl Session Studio Select. Hmmmm.

Dan

oof. On this side of the pond, this type of "investment group" doesn't correlate to a better product.

IMG_0835.jpeg

Throughout the website there is no mention of build methods or technique, nor mention of where the drums are manufactured. 😕

I'm actually quite interested in the Genista kit myself, I know they probably are not as good as they used to be, but they seem competitive and in some cases better in comparison to other brands at that price. I really miss having a big kit with two bassdrums, and they have a lot of add on drums in store with a really good price. It might seem crazy to think of swapping a Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid with these, but I have a hard time justifying the price of a second bassdrum on that kit, which is close to 2000 USD here in Europe. On the Genista it costs 800$. For me though, a second bassdrum on my own kit is more important than I thought it would be. Only thing that puts me a bit off on the Genista is the mounting system (I have some leftover Optimounts that might fit on these if I really needed to), no rubber gaskets on the bassdrum claws and no fully finished hoops... But that silver sparkle maple kit certainly calls my name, with a second bassdrum and a 13" tom, maybe a 18" floor down the road.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with Genista stuff, but given the price I think they seem very interesting.

premier.jpg

Attachments

• preview.jpg
    preview.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Same price point, roughly, as Pearl Session Studio Select. Hmmmm.

Dan
Am I right in assuming that these drums are also recreating the Premier sound? With their not-too-thick birch and mahogany shells, rounded 30° (the Japanese measure from the other side and call them 60°) bearing edges, and a range of vintage-inspired finishes lead to my understanding. Or maybe they are actually going for the birch/mahogany MIJ vibe, with better quality mahogany than what they used to use (Philippine luan).
The new Elites may very well be very good drums, but the stock Pinstripe heads aren't doing them any favour on online demos. Plus I prefer their Genistas for looks. Why can't they recreate vintage Elite lugs if they can do Genista ones?

rdavidr did a very good laudatory video on the new Genista. Built quality is good, sound also.

I like the fact that they kept Re-ring on the Elite, few manufacturers still do that in this price range. None actually?
The Elite lugs are around for a long time in the Premier line, since 2000's - not the most descreet ones but kinda stylish ; almost as big as the DW rounded Turrets.

Am I right in assuming that these drums are also recreating the Premier sound? With their not-too-thick birch and mahogany shells, rounded 30° (the Japanese measure from the other side and call them 60°) bearing edges, and a range of vintage-inspired finishes lead to my understanding. Or maybe they are actually going for the birch/mahogany MIJ vibe, with better quality mahogany than what they used to use (Philippine luan).
The new Elites may very well be very good drums, but the stock Pinstripe heads aren't doing them any favour on online demos. Plus I prefer their Genistas for looks. Why can't they recreate vintage Elite lugs if they can do Genista ones?
The main issue everywhere but the US is that unless you go to York in the north of England where G4M's large showroom is, you've got no way of trying one in a shop, they're only available direct from G4M. This was always going to be an issue for them.

oof. On this side of the pond, this type of "investment group" doesn't correlate to a better product.

View attachment 139117

Throughout the website there is no mention of build methods or technique, nor mention of where the drums are manufactured. 😕
If you think of G4M as being a British version of Thomann in Germany then you won't be far off. All the drums are built in China (only exception is the 100th anniversary snare, which was contracted out to an unnamed UK drumbuilder, though there are only realistically one or two it could be).

All G4M bought was the name and design rights in reality, everything else is new, built in a different factory etc.

I think we’ll have seen the end of the innovative Premier that existed in the 60s-90s, G4M is far more interested in volume sales.

If you think of G4M as being a British version of Thomann in Germany then you won't be far off. All the drums are built in China (only exception is the 100th anniversary snare, which was contracted out to an unnamed UK drumbuilder, though there are only realistically one or two it could be).

All G4M bought was the name and design rights in reality, everything else is new, built in a different factory etc.

I think we’ll have seen the end of the innovative Premier that existed in the 60s-90s, G4M is far more interested in volume sales.
Does innovation really matter with drums anymore? How many meaningful ways can you laminate wood into a round object and give it a pretty finish?

What benefit does the undersized tom diameter provide? The website says the Elite models have 3mm undersized toms, the Genista has 6mm undersized toms.

I'm actually quite interested in the Genista kit myself, I know they probably are not as good as they used to be, but they seem really good in comparison to other brands at that price (PDP Concept Maple, Superstar Classic/Starclassic Performer etc). I really miss having a big kit with two bassdrums, and they have a lot of add on drums in store with a really good price. It might seem crazy to think of swapping a Yamaha Live Custom Hybrid with these, but I have a hard time justifying the price of a second bassdrum on that kit, which is close to 2000 USD here in Europe. On the Genista it costs 800$. For me though, a second bassdrum on my own kit is more important than I thought it would be. Only thing that puts me a bit off on the Genista is the mounting system (I have some leftover Optimounts that might fit on these if I really needed to), no rubber gaskets on the bassdrum claws and no fully finished hoops... But that silver sparkle maple kit certainly calls my name, with a second bassdrum and a 13" tom, maybe a 18" floor down the road.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with Genista stuff, but given the price I think they seem very interesting.

View attachment 139153

"Really good in comparison to other brands at that price (PDP Concept Maple, Superstar Classic/Starclassic Performer)?

In what ways??

nice website...

Last edited:
About undersized shells, my signia is 6mm undersized on Toms, it’s really noticeable.
See pic below, the space between the shell and the hoop.
I thinks it helps ease of tuning and nice clarity.
When I had my Signia and Renown 57 side by side, the Premier sounded the lowest and roundest voice.

Attachments

• IMG_5213.jpeg
    IMG_5213.jpeg
    538.2 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I’m looking to snag a 24” Elite bass drum at some point to turn my Blaby Road Gen X into a double bass monster…if Ged is still playing them, that’s good enough for me… :) (y)
Al, I've got TWO Elite 24" bass drums- the second I bought on eBay a few years ago with the intention of having it re-covered to match the other for my jumbo concert-tom kit, but never got around to it.
It needs to be stripped & refinished, but AFAIK is structurally sound. According to "She Who Must Be Obeyed", it needs to go, so if you're interested, you can have it free gratis..... Let me know if you're interested;)(y)

Attachments

• IMG_6587.jpg
    IMG_6587.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 12
"Really good in comparison to other brands at that price (PDP Concept Maple, Superstar Classic/Starclassic Performer)?

In what ways??
I might have worded myself a bit over the top there, I see that now. I meant to say, they seem quite competitive to their peers at the same price. Not that the other kits are way worse. It might only be personal, but my impression just looking at them and from the soundbytes I've heard, I think they seem to punch a bit over their price level. I think they look more pro level than the PDP and Superstar Classic, hardware etc., but it is all opinion, maybe with a slight nostalgic angle though. Of what the Genista used to be. I guess the Starclassic Performers will be equal or maybe a bit better.

Some might say the same about the other kits too, so... Yeah, I take that back until I can play one in person, which I guess will not happen until I buy it 😅.

I might have worded myself a bit over the top there, I see that now. I meant to say, they seem quite competitive to their peers at the same price. Not that the other kits are way worse. It might only be personal, but my impression just looking at them and from the soundbytes I've heard, I think they seem to punch a bit over their price level. I think they look more pro level than the PDP and Superstar Classic, hardware etc., but it is all opinion, maybe with a slight nostalgic angle though. Of what the Genista used to be. I guess the Starclassic Performers will be equal or maybe a bit better.

Some might say the same about the other kits too, so... Yeah, I take that back until I can play one in person, which I guess will not happen until I buy it 😅.

Cool. Thanks for clarification.

I think I would shop for Barton before looking at Premier. Their drums are made in Asia, but company is here in USA ships from USA and they are a drum company not a subsidiary of an international conglomerate. All they do is drums. Their prices are about same as Premier's lower end (but they have a sale right now so might be lower).

You start looking at new Genista and they're $2,000+. Ouch. I do not think Genista will be competitive at all relative to quality with Tama Starclassic. Ludwig CM. Gretsch Brooklyn. DW Performance and Design show up at that price. No competition there.

New Rogers are 2x the price of lower end Premier but I don't see any differences to new Premier. Maybe someone else does. Same with Pearl new President series? And they're less than Genista.

INDe is more expensive, too, than lower end Premier. But lower than Genista. They'll be better all-around and superior , but I found their hardware - which is their hallmark - too fiddley for me. Others love it.

I think the Tama Superstar Classic and PDP Concept would be much superior and in similar price range. The Tama Superstar Classic I'm most familiar with, having owned two of the kits. Hardware is fantastic. Shells finished superbly. I don't think the Premier can match up. Or at least Premier more of taking a chance and hoping it's all good. Tama Superstar IS excellent no worries no hoping.

Bottom line I think there are better choices.

Having said that, I myself was close to buying the new Premier Artist Club in the green lacquer. I wanted a shallow 20" kick with rack mount on kick. Barton doesn't have kick-mounted toms. Other than PDP, other choices were more expensive than my budget. If the Premier rack tom was a 12" I would have bought the Artist Club. Instead, I kept shopping for a Tama Superstar in a finish I liked. It took me a while but one finally popped up.

Last edited:
I cannot see PDP concept and Superstar as competitor of the Premier Elite.

They would compete with Renown, Starclassic W/B, DW Design...
Thin shell 4 ply with re-ring, 10 lugs BD, undrilled bass drum, ...
The downside would be the limited choice of finish and lack of 24" BD configuration.

I don't know if it's still true, but Premier Chrome and Finish used to be top notch.

Last edited:
but Premier Chrome and Finish used to be top notch.
I’ve never been impressed with Chinese chrome plating, but I’ve not seen a wide variety of examples.

I’ve never been impressed with Chinese chrome plating, but I’ve not seen a wide variety of examples.
I wrote : "used to be" ; so this was when it was made in Great Britain - the legend said it had something to do with the Rolls Royce chrome applying method.

Back