Don't Wear Your Favorite Watch While Drumming

I think, there is no rule.

Steve Smith always takes down his nice watch always he sits behind his drums. But if you watch thousands of drummers as I did or watch photos: some wear watches - some not.

There is also a risk to lose them or get them stolen, when you take down the watch for playing.

Or even better: Leave your expensive watch at home and wear a cheap swatch.

Bernhard

I have several old watches (nothing expensive) in a drawer somewhere, but I haven't worn one literally since the first day I had a cell phone, in 2003. Previous to that, I'd wear a watch while playing, and as I did and do occasionally smack myself on a finger, I never missed so badly that I've hit my wrist. So, the watches weren't and wouldn't be a problem.

could be a good country and western song (waltz)

"don't wear your watch
while you're drumming
my darling
don't wear your watch
when you've gone..
Out of town
on your way
to the big time
your watch will still be here
when it's time for you to decide to
come down"

ok swing

" I left my watch.....
In San Francisco..
high on a hill
it ticks for me..
Little gears and tines
go Halfway round the face
The second hand..
it sweeps... for me....

(needs work

Last edited:
Always wear a watch drumming, never had any issues when playing itself.

I have scratched one in the past during load in / load out, I think it snagged on a stand. So I take a little more care these days.

No drumming issues though.

I always have one on. I have noticed the same as @TK-421 so I stopped wearing autos. The last one was an everyday Invicta, which jumped about 6 minutes ahead after a 4 hour dance gig.

The expensive one are nice.

(swatch group has MANY famous brands)
I have 3 Swatch Group watches, a Hamilton Jazzmaster auto, a MIDO Ocean Star GMT auto, and a Certina DS Chronograph high-accuracy quartz. They’re all nice watches.
1698738298434.jpeg

But my nicest is my Oris Artix GT chronograph.
1698738359041.jpeg

So nice. I want an Oris as I believe they are still privately owned, but they don't make a watch I want to wear.
Love your collection by the way. 👍😁
Yes, Oris is still privately owned. And unfortunately they discontinued the entire Artix GT line a number of years ago, which was their racing inspired line of watches.

If I were to buy a current Oris, I’d likely go with this Big Crown Pro Pilot GMT

Or this Aquis diver.

Reactions: I-P
luckily, we only gig on Saturdays, so the work thing doesn't get in the way most of the time. Most places around here don't have load in untill 2 hours before the first band anywyas, and that is usually enough time to get myself situated. I also like to get set up, do sound check, and then relax and people watch. Rarely, if the food smells good, I will get something small to eat.

the other reason I get there early is to claim stage space. If I don't do that, I will not get enough room to set up. I have a certain "fung shue" thing about stage set up that the band leader sometimes doesn't see...like the footprint of cymbal stands, and the fact that I can't levitate over amps to get behind the kit
When the others delegate me to unimportant status during practice I intentionally play like crap. They then point it out nicely and I then say……….nicely 😎

I have 3 Swatch Group watches, a Hamilton Jazzmaster auto, a MIDO Ocean Star GMT auto, and a Certina DS Chronograph high-accuracy quartz. They’re all nice watches.
View attachment 140461

But my nicest is my Oris Artix GT chronograph.
View attachment 140462
Oris is a good choice - it's located in Hölstein - near BASEL - the hometown of Drummerworld in Switzerland

Bernhard

Sorry for your issue. I’ve also loved that watch since seeing it on the film. I can’t wear any jewelry or accessories on my hands or wrists while I play. Rings will tear my hands up and things on my wrist annoy me.

Hope your watch can be fixed ok.

Thanks, I called the jeweler today and it's still not done.

Yes, Oris is still privately owned. And unfortunately they discontinued the entire Artix GT line a number of years ago, which was their racing inspired line of watches.

If I were to buy a current Oris, I’d likely go with this Big Crown Pro Pilot GMT

Or this Aquis diver.
I love the Big Crown; but 44mm is WAY TOO BIG for my 6.5" wrist.

I love the Big Crown; but 44mm is WAY TOO BIG for my 6.5" wrist.
All of my watches are 44mm, but I have fairly large wrists so they look good on me. Here's a similar ProPilot that comes in at 41.5mm. Nothing under 40 though.

Just got the Ventura back Saturday, completely repaired and restored, $150.

Needless to say, I wore the $20 Casio watch to the gig that night.

• Like!!
Back