Don't Wear Your Favorite Watch While Drumming

“You like having a good time?
Then you need a good watch!”

- Rocky Balboa, Rocky 2.

Saying that I am a collector of watches and since I was a teen, my fossil would be coming off and dropped by my hi hat stand cause I didn’t like the feel of the watch while playing, goes for brass knuckles and rings too, especially my pinky rings.

Edit*
Here is one that I use for work, not my favorite but it’s up there, Citizen Calibre 8700.
IMG_7699.jpeg

Last edited:
I would love to be at the venue way before show time. As it is, we're usually there 2 hours before show time, most times. (We travel together, unless its a local show, just two vehicles) Sadly, with travel time, and day jobs and other responsibilities, being able to get there 2 hours before show time is as much as we can manage. I'd love to be able to mess around with my kit some, fine tuning stuff, making other adjustments. 2 hours gives us enough time to load all the gear in, get everything set up and manage a sound check, and hopefully a little down time before the show starts.

luckily, we only gig on Saturdays, so the work thing doesn't get in the way most of the time. Most places around here don't have load in untill 2 hours before the first band anywyas, and that is usually enough time to get myself situated. I also like to get set up, do sound check, and then relax and people watch. Rarely, if the food smells good, I will get something small to eat.

the other reason I get there early is to claim stage space. If I don't do that, I will not get enough room to set up. I have a certain "fung shue" thing about stage set up that the band leader sometimes doesn't see...like the footprint of cymbal stands, and the fact that I can't levitate over amps to get behind the kit

Reactions: A J
One of the many small frustrations contributing to why I quit that band in January was people who weren't in the band stomping hell bent for leather right thru the stage 'helping' other players set up their stuff,
right.
in.
my.
way.

There's a whole market of watch for collectors, wearers, and enthusiasts. Like anything, there is forum/group for watches, horology and all that.

I get it. I have great respect for all watch collectors. I'm no better. As I type, there is a large collection of WWII rifles in my basement that I have never shot. I'm the last one who can ridicule a "watch collector".

For me, watches have no value and no interest. It's just not my thing. To each his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: I-P
I had a Casio G-shock cell phone that I loved. It was featured in a TV ad as a replacement to a hockey puck, and if my abuse was any indication, it held up just fine. Casio has the formula for rugged tech.

But for watches, I'm a Citizen Eco-Drive fan. They're slim and unobtrusive.
Love my Eco-Drive! I also have an Invicta, a couple of Seiko chronos, a Bulova Marine Star, and a Pulsar Chrono (inexpensive). Would love a Hamilton and an Omega to round things. But for the most part, I love my Timex Chronos, as they are inexpensive and really do "take a licking and keep on ticking. "

I would never pay 700 dollars for a brand of watch that also makes 30 dollar watches. that stupid! I wear a submariner but Ive gotten away from watches for about a year now, the time is always on my phone.
Have you ever looked up what the mudmaster line is all about? There's a pretty damn big difference in the less expensive stuff and that line, which is literally trusted in some of the harshest environments possible, it was designed for the seal teams iirc, there's even a Frogman version.

I love watches, but don't wear one anymore.
No big or heavy watches for me and none of mine are expensive. There was an older Rolex gold Presidential in a pawn shop that I followed for a few months before offering 8k, which they turned down. Then they sold it for 8k not too long after. I had no business buying the watch anyway. Same thing happened with a jetski at that shop.
8k for a watch? Hell's Bells 👀

I get it. I have great respect for all watch collectors. I'm no better. As I type, there is a large collection of WWII rifles in my basement that I have never shot. I'm the last one who can ridicule a "watch collector".

For me, watches have no value and no interest. It's just not my thing. To

I have a reissue Hamilton Ventura watch that I bought about 15 years ago that I love. It's the coolest looking watch in the world, IMO. Elvis Presley wore one. The Men In Black wore them in their films. Three weeks ago, I had it serviced; cleaned, adjusted, new battery, new band, new crystal, got the scratches on the case polished out. It looked almost brand new. $185.

I went to an audition last Thursday night, played three songs, and I must have have hit the watch on the snare rim, because I broke the crystal and it stopped running. I was sick about it, so I dropped it back off to the jeweler next day, and he's going to fix it all up again this week.

I never wear a watch while playing drums, but for some reason, forgot to take it off this time...and paid the price.

These aren't cheap watches. They're not Rolex expensive, but still, a new one is about $700. I bought a $20 cheapo watch on Amazon to wear until this one comes back.

Moral of the story: Never wear your favorite watch while drumming. Mine looks just like the one in the photo.
You wore it inside the wrist?
Why do people do that?

You wore it inside the wrist?
Why do people do that?
No, outside, as always. I have no idea how it got damaged. I must have turned my wrist at one point.

Last edited:
Have you ever looked up what the mudmaster line is all about? There's a pretty damn big difference in the less expensive stuff and that line, which is literally trusted in some of the harshest environments possible, it was designed for the seal teams iirc, there's even a Frogman version.
The Frogman is even more waterproofed. The manual says the Mudmaster is waterproof provided you don’t push buttons or unscrew the crown while in the water. The Frogman allows button pushing and possibly unscrewing the crown (could be wrong on the crown part) while underwater. My next G will be the analog Frogman watch.

I can't seem to wear a watch. I don't know if it's the drumming, or if I just have that force field that kills watches, but they never last, so I've given up. Cheap or (relatively) expensive, they always die. Thank goodness there are other ways to keep track of the time.

Right!?!! I own vehicles that cost less than that. Notice I used the plural. 🤣
I bought an $8500 politician instead.

My current driver was $500.
Previous was $600
Previous was $2500.
Previous was $3000.
Previous was $1600.
But I did pay 11k for the previous one which is still here. And the politician is in the garage too.

Back