Blaby Road Chrome

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
Spurred by @Al Strange

I've never in the past stopped to notice the quality (or not) of the chrome work on anything chrome on any of my drums.

That's just me not giving it any recognition, not ever really noticing that detail.

Not to throw shade at all, and I do respect anyone who is a fan, but if you please, what is it about the Blaby Road process that makes such a great job?

I've never even held a chrome Premier, so I'm just going by what I've gathered here.

Can anyone give me an example of a manufacturer who puts out a *less than* chrome job?

And what are the hallmarks of a great chrome job?

Since Al's mum worked there, (if I got that right) I'm hoping Al will be able to fill in the blanks I have.

This concludes the original post :p

Spurred by @Al Strange

I've never in the past stopped to notice the quality (or not) of the chrome work on anything chrome on any of my drums.

That's just me not giving it any recognition, not ever really noticing that detail.

Not to throw shade at all, and I do respect anyone who is a fan, but if you please, what is it about the Blaby Road process that makes such a great job?

I've never even held a chrome Premier, so I'm just going by what I've gathered here.

Can anyone give me an example of a manufacturer who puts out a *less than* chrome job?

Since Al's mum worked there, (if I got that right) I'm hoping Al will be able to fill in the blanks I have.

Cheers @Larry ! My mum indeed worked at the plating factory at Wigston in the 80’s! I don’t know the process (it’s alchemy!) but I give you exhibit A…a 1970’s Prem:
IMG_0184.jpeg
This drum is approaching 50 years old…I gigged this drum for almost a decade, indoor, outdoor you name it! Just look at those hoops! If you look after your Prems they will last a lifetime!!:D(y)

Spurred by @Al Strange

I'm very new in the drum world but funny that you should mention Chrome. About a week ago I wanted to dust off my Mapex Black Panther snare drum and put it in its velvet bag to store because I had purchased a Supraphonic that I absolutely love and want to use at this time.

As I opened the throw-off in a down position I noticed that the inside of the throw-off had a crappy Chrome job. I remember distinctly telling my son about that because I couldn't believe it.

Now when I go downstairs to play again if I remember to look at the throw-off on the inside of the Supraphonic I'd like to see how that's made.

Who knows maybe the more money you spend on a kit or a snare maybe you will get a better Chrome job! (Plating)

Last edited:
"Chrome job"?? I had to look that up in Urban dictionary. I'll leave that alone.
Now we use to have a "Plating company" in my home town. I believe it was electroplating and they did zinc, nickel, and chrome. One of my neighbors worked their growing up. My 2003 truck is cherry red with lots of chrome and it really looked sharp initially. I miss the days of chrome plated steel bumpers-you get a bump now and it's like an instant $1,000 charge.

This is all jumbled up, I'm not sure if Premier chromed the Rolls Royce front grilles, Rolls Royce chromed Premier equipment or a third party did both or a combination of all 3.
My take away, played out to a patriotic backing track, is that whoever did it simply did it the best, most thorough, most labour intensive way possible. Corners weren't cut, health and safety was in its infancy, it was the way us British used to do things before globalization kicked in. Often wearing a brown overall whilst doing so.

Cheers @Larry ! My mum indeed worked at the plating factory at Wigston in the 80’s! I don’t know the process (it’s alchemy!) but I give you exhibit A…a 1970’s Prem:
View attachment 134855
This drum is approaching 50 years old…I gigged this drum for almost a decade, indoor, outdoor you name it! Just look at those hoops! If you look after your Prems they will last a lifetime!!:D(y)
Al your carpet perfectly matches the finish on your snare drum. Uncanny.

Premier thru Selmer was really coming into the states and by September 1971 I was at the Music Store ready to move out of my 1st (Ludwig bdp set) into my 1st new set. I went to the local store- along with my Dad and my part saved up paper boy money - with a thermogloss Ludwig twin tom maybe twin floors - Set in mind. When the salesman Store owner slid the price across the desk over to my dad and me both all 4 of our eyes bugged out.
Salesman said let me show you something and he opened the Premier catalog. Hooked by the PD303 picture alone I added an extra 14" floor tom and requested Mahogany Pearl because I liked it's color swatch. The order came in September 1971 and I owned them until 1996. International size 22/12/8x14/14x14/16x16/2000 and all the Lokfast stands. I was 15.
I'd say Diamond chrome seemed "smoother" highly reflective less porous but that's just a hunch

011.JPG
drummom.jpg

premier.jpg

"Later we got back at that salesman and sold him a few cars ; )

Premier9300002 (2).jpg
and

premier 303.jpg

I still from 71 have the 2 Lokfast cymbal stands (still see excellent service) the Hi Hat stand , snare stand (partly broke), the 250S pedal (destroyed broke) and red tripod seat (also broke)

Last edited:
"Chrome job"?? I had to look that up in Urban dictionary. I'll leave that alone.
Now we use to have a "Plating company" in my home town. I believe it was electroplating and they did zinc, nickel, and chrome. One of my neighbors worked their growing up. My 2003 truck is cherry red with lots of chrome and it really looked sharp initially. I miss the days of chrome plated steel bumpers-you get a bump now and it's like an instant $1,000 charge.
Agrippa, you don't know what a "chrome job" is? For those of you that don't know what a "chrome job" is the proper word would be plating. LOL

Bad chrome stories: I own a couple of Gibraltar stands where the chrome isn’t up to scratch and stated flaking after a couple of years. I also bought a Meinl X-hat stand that was absolutely shocking (I cut my hand taking it out of the box [do not buy!]… :unsure:

have to add The Lokfast flush base stands of that Era were all diamond chrome too
So if you want some diamond chrome

Premier_Lokfast_Flush_Base_Straight_Cymbal_Stand_1970s_171-1.JPG

lookaround

those imo and to this day ate Ludwig 1400's stands of that time alive
You see those Wings I've had to replace 2 (one lower one upper) of those; very easy job to fit American wing screw to (along with the inside nut)

Last edited:
you did?..

when I was born they were already gigging I caught up with them 30 years later
Funny I had that head done by someone but don't recall taking those- I had found RB 20 12 14/sn) and used them

Last edited:
I think it has to do with OSHA in the US. Triple chrome plating is the best and most durable however it was toxic or the waste was im not sure so it was sort of outlawed. there was copper involved in triple chrome too which is why the chrome peels on out supraphonics...no copper. Mexico did not follow US OSHA rules so for decades, car guys in California sent their stuff to Tijuana for this process.

I put my Premiers in a very humid, dark basement unmaintained, but still loved from afar, for around 12-13 years. Some pitting developed on a couple of lug tubes and the die-cast hoops. Most all of the hardware survived. None of the lugs corroded. I don't think any stamped hoops corroded.

My (2) PDP Concept Maple snares (bought used) with original DW lugs and throw-off, but having an unknown hoop provider, have/had dramatic flaking on the hoops and have rusted lug screws with a minor amount of pitting elsewhere. The hoop chrome and lug coating sucks.

The Premiers would've been rustcicles if the same plating was used as on the PDP hoops and lugs.

Chroming at Premier was the best! I heard they used the same techniques as chrome plating for Rolls Royce?
Not sure what they were doing at Ludwig with Supras but many from a certain period didn't age well.

I think it has to do with OSHA in the US. Triple chrome plating is the best and most durable however it was toxic or the waste was im not sure so it was sort of outlawed. there was copper involved in triple chrome too which is why the chrome peels on out supraphonics...no copper. Mexico did not follow US OSHA rules so for decades, car guys in California sent their stuff to Tijuana for this process.
Yes the copper rings bells, there's a story about Keith Moon seeing the hardware on a factory visit part way through the process in its' copper phase and asked if they'd make him a set in the same finish.

EVERY Time I set my Premier Signias up and put the double tom mount in the bass drum I looked at the chrome plating in awe. It's as if it was dipped in chrome honey without the slightest run. I swear I could comb my hair in that plating. Ludwig?...not a chance. Doesn't anyone remember the plating on the resonator lugs?..or even XPK?. You just wanted a drum in your living room to gaze at. It was so good I don't even think you could call it chrome.

Back