Art Blakey

I totally get this. But personally I love him for it. Without it I might still be trying to start at Elvin on A Love Supreme and wonder WTF it was all about and if I'd ever be able to get a handle on it.

I attribute it to his strong sense of 2 and 4 and it was exactly what this back beat orientated rock drummer needed to finally be able to develop a far deeper appreciation of the jazz form.

I often see threads where rock/back beat drummers are wondering "how to get into jazz". I reckon the perfect place to start is with Blakey on Moanin' or Mobley's Soul Station or the like. But no doubt "the rock drummer's jazz drummer" was my launching point to finally being able to get inside so much more.

Really identify with this myself too.

Congratulations The kit looks mint, and Im pretty sure the wrap is called "Sapphire Blue".

Bit confused with the dates though, the Art Blakey kit I know is in the 74 catalogue, which has a 73 print date on it lol...

Art signed my bass drum head in '76. I never missed a show when he was in Minneapolis. Art got the Messengers over with the audience like none I'd seen before. He worked the crowd, entertained them, loved them. And they loved him. And he did it all without pandering shit music to win them over. He just won them over with his talent.

I was listening to Roots & Herbs on Friday. And I'm nodding my head, because how can you not? and I wonder who the frontline is. It's the Jazz Messengers, so it's certain to be at least good if not positively brilliant, but they also had so many different lineups that it's hard to keep them straight. So I always check who’s on a given record: who’s playing trumpet, who’s on sax, who’s the bassist, and so on. And hey! It's Lee Morgan! And Wayne Shorter! Fantastic.

And as I almost do, pretty much without exception and definitely without thinking, I look to see who the absolutely killer drummer is.

Which, surprise surprise, is Art Blakey. Because of course it is. It always is. ’cuz it’s his damn band.

Every time. Sheesh.

Art always ducked any mention of technique. "I just beat the hell out of them," etc. But he was master of these rudiments: The press roll (unsurpassed); the four-stroke ruff (played it all the time); the double paradiddle (played the accents on the cymbals with the bass drum reinforcing them; flams; single strokes (super fast triplets). He learned some of the rudiments from Chick Webb and Kenny Clark.

Art was my God. I went to every show he played in the Twin Cities in the 70s and 80s. He had so much charisma, charm, and the Messengers got over with even squares, who didn't normally listen to, much less, like, jazz. Art was fearless, unrelenting, knew how to find the promising musicians, and played with so much love and passion that he infected his audiences with an apprecition of the swing feel. No one like Art Blakey.

I don't describe Art as good...the word magical comes to mind. You can practice to get good but when Art plays you tell God you want to be like that...of course god answers prayer..my answer was.......NO. 😠.

Wow. I'm surprised nobody has started a thread about Art Blakey. I don't think so anyways..But yeah. I like Art Blakey. He did some real good stuff. The Jazz Messengers was some real good stuff. How do you like him? Art Blakey is an awesome drummer, and an awesome band leader I think.

Art Blakey page on DrummerWorld
Gretsch Drum Night at Birdland

I always laugh when he calls Philly Joe a "Show-off" !

1st five tracks here

(that's one Max Lp and one Art Lp Tough! both from 1957+/- combined in one package called Percussion Discussion)

Track 3 "Transfiguration" i think is the fastest -the mambo sections- I ever heard anyone play.

I've had this twin /Lp/ for 30 years) the Max Max! section is good too

Last edited:
Art was the only Bop drummer I had any use for, and that's because he played forcefully and with passion. He swung hard.

Spending my Sunday morning listening to alternative versions of One By One (Jazz Messengers) because my band wants to add it to our list.

I’m sat here just thinking “damn, what a machine he was!” Unstoppable swinging groove.

Wish me luck…

:D

I have been transcribing Art Blakey since 1972, and teach his style from those transcriptions to all students that are interested. I´ve seen him live a number of times and in one ocasion was very briefly introduced to him, at North Sea Jazz Festival in Holland (around 1989).
"Mrs Blakey´one and only bambino", was amazing "comper" and soloist, with a very unique style, the most individual probably of the bebop period.

Here is an article and transcription I did for a drum magazine in 1992 (I did every month a different drummer for about a year).

ArticuloArt nueva versión LETRAS.jpg

I have been transcribing Art Blakey since 1972, and teach his style from those transcriptions to all students that are interested. I´ve seen him live a number of times and in one ocasion was very briefly introduced to him, at North Sea Jazz Festival in Holland (around 1989).
"Mrs Blakey´one and only bambino", was amazing "comper" and soloist, with a very unique style, the most individual probably of the bebop period.

Here is an article and transcription I did for a drum magazine in 1992 (I did every month a different drummer for about a year).

View attachment 143525
I saw him live twice!

Hi! My name is Mariano
I've transcribed several Art Blakey's drum solos on different albums, and made a collection of 32 Art Blakey licks.
I've taken the phrases I like the most, trying not to take similar licks.
There is also a mini-guide on the bottom of the PDF about how to create you OWN vocabulary, starting from one of the phrases.
I've decided to give it to you for FREE! Please, check it out and let me some feedback, good or bad, I want it all!
Thank You!

Attachments

• 32 Art Blakey Phrases.pdf
    94.6 KB · Views: 5
Back