Anyone ever own vintage 3-ply Slingerlands?

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
Anyone in here ever own 3-ply Slingerlands? If so, what did you think of them? Experiences? What kind of music did you play?

Yes I do - 22 13 16 , 1974-5 flawless maple ink stamped interiors . Satisfying experience playing them . Pretty much like the Ludwig equivalents . Bass drum is blackchrome , toms are just black .

Speak and respond with authority to any tuning . Right now I have Remo CS clears on the toms , Aquarian SK 1 on the batter of the bass drum and a Ludwig Silver dot clear unported on the front .

I don't have a whole kit, but I do have a snare that is three ply w/ mahogany interior. It sounds exactly like I hoped it would - warm and solid, slightly muted because of the rounded edges. Lovely old drum.

Yes, my first kit. I’d estimate them around a ‘64 based on the wrap and hardware, but that could always be plus or minus a few years. The kit is long gone so I can’t recall too many specifics. I liked the shells. The spurs were next to useless, the L arm wouldn’t clamp, and the rail consolette system was just a bad time. Don’t recall any issues with lugs, rods, inserts, or hoops. Well, the springs did need quieting.

Anyhow, I had the 3 ply maple/poplar/mahogany, 22/13/16. I played what teenagers in the 90s tended to play: a lot of rock, grunge, and then into metal. I also used them for school related stuff, so I guess think pep band and music revue kind of stuff. Naturally, as I got into metal, I ‘needed’ more toms than 1u1d, and the traditional sizes and satin flame didn’t look the part. So I ‘upgraded’ to an Export, lol. Brilliant move.

They of course tuned right up to Krupa territory without much thought. I probably kept them more in the area of Soungarden or a Rage Against the Machine. I could never really get them into Slayer or Pantera territory, but I also sucked at tuning then, and that also just a kind of unrealistic expectation for a natural acoustic kit period. I probably couldn’t really afford drumheads back then, much less a variety. I’m sure I could make them sound plenty metal now.

I distinctly remember working out AJFA from Metallica, and White, Discussion by Live on those drums, to give some specifics. I do still have the snare drum, but you’re asking about 3 ply, and that particular drum was 1 ply.

It’s partially nostalgia, but pre 70s Slingerlands are the only vintage drums I’d consider. Not necessarily because they’re better than their peers, but mostly because they’re kind of an underdog that doesn’t have the following of Ludwig or Gretsch, or the prestige of say Rogers or Camco. If they didn’t disappear, I likely would have done a restoration on the 3pc and replaced the some of the hardware fittings. As it stands now, I really don’t have storage for more shells, or the interest in another project. I still get slightly covetous when I see a listing for a well cared for set, but it passes.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have your eye on that cruise ship champagne set? That looks very pretty. Coincidentally, and after stating that I was over buying gear 🤷‍♂️, today I picked up a WFL snare - 3 ply mahogany. It’s fantastic, but it’s a warm, lowish volume snare. For me that’s perfect, but it’s not for everyone. If 3 ply African mahogany is what it is, I’m guessing that you’re looking at a warm, quiet-ish set of drums.

I do, I own a 3 ply 1N / Gene Krupa deluxe from the 1970’s as my gigging kit.

Maple/Poplar/Maple. 22, 13 & 16.

I love them, very warm and resonate drums. The only negative I can think of is the bass drum spurs, easily sorted with some DW clamp on spurs which I know you use already on your vintage Ludwig, Martin.

I play Rock/Indie but I can see them working brilliantly for most genres really. I can’t wait to get them in the studio one day.

Great drums

30681E84-DD91-48A5-A52F-7B0139A6B371.jpeg

Last edited:
You have your eye on that cruise ship champagne set? That looks very pretty. Coincidentally, and after stating that I was over buying gear 🤷‍♂️, today I picked up a WFL snare - 3 ply mahogany. It’s fantastic, but it’s a warm, lowish volume snare. For me that’s perfect, but it’s not for everyone. If 3 ply African mahogany is what it is, I’m guessing that you’re looking at a warm, quiet-ish set of drums.

I thought the cruise ship drums were really cool, but I have my eye on something else right now. Nothing is finalized yet, but maybe tomorrow it will be.

I love them, very warm and resonate drums. The only negative I can think of is the bass drum spurs, easily sorted with some DW clamp on spurs which I know you use already on your vintage Ludwig, Martin.

I play Rock/Indie but I can see them working brilliantly for most genres really. I can’t wait to get them in the studio one day.

Great drums

View attachment 127846

What don't you like about the factory spurs? Are they the kind that telescope from the shell?

My first kit was a 1980 Slingy Spirit 1000. Three ply Niles, no rings, sounded fantastic.

I had Pinstripes on it, a coated Ambassador on the snare.

The drums had a nice fat warm sound. I'd by another if I had the space and a magic wallet.

Great drums

View attachment 127846

I see the plate on the top of your kick. Did it have two mounting brackets on the top?

I have to say this....never owned a kit but awhile back my fiance and I walked into a small club where some friends were playing. The drummer asked me to sit in on a tune but I declined gracefully. They wouldn't settle for that so I obliged..a blues shuffle was counted off and it's go time. The kit..a three ply Slingerland with pinstripes..(toms) 12&16. The 12 remains one of the few 8x12" drums that have so impressed me that it will remain with me for life. That drum and two others in 30 years! have caused much turmoil in a never ending search for a magical 12.

I see the plate on the top of your kick. Did it have two mounting brackets on the top?
The plate is from the previous owner installing a Premier mount at some point. The hole made for the Premier mount is now covered over with that plate.

The Slingerland mount’s now back in place on the kit but I don’t use it, simply as the arms cost quite a lot. I put the 13” in a snare stand instead.

What don't you like about the factory spurs? Are they the kind that telescope from the shell?
They are telescopic from the shell but are literally pointless in stopping bass drum creep as they are rounded and not spiked at the ends.

I just use my DW clamp on ones and leave the Slingerland ones non extended.

43FE8140-3084-4B2E-9909-A7EDD6857061.jpeg76ADED08-E68C-4BFD-92BD-C5C0719280F1.jpeg

here's what I know about v3P slingerland. I helped a friend set up his set. Bottom head was off one drum and I noticed the bearing edge- looked a mile/ an inch wide. So , muffled. I another time used a friend's v3P Slingerland set for a gig . His gig. I unloaded set up and played his drums. the brackets to hold the toms, the spurs, the floor tom legs, the metal did not seem like Gretsch/Ludwig. Wing Ts were froze and would barely tighten snug up. Like the metal was both soft/ and hard that the Ts' before 'tight' binded up. Not nice.

Here's the final kicker I've read. Besides the wide bearing edge which stifled tones and the metal that seemed to bind on all the hardware was.

You can't easily 'replace' the hardware. The Tom post for example. On a Gretsch, Ludwig even Tama, you can 'interchange' the posts- diameters being similar. Slingerland has their own unique diameter. So you can't just drop a Gibraltar or Ludwig post in a twin tom set.
A reason maybe/ why/ you don't see many Slingerland sets/ retrofitted with any modern hardware, still in service doing duty.
So even tho they are/ were a mainstream American brand they had some peculiarities that prevent the same usage vintage Ludwig and Gretsch enjoy.
I am not the conclusive word on these. Owners have different experience but this is what and how I noticed these couple/few foibles

here's what I know about v3P slingerland. I helped a friend set up his set. Bottom head was off one drum and I noticed the bearing edge- looked a mile/ an inch wide. So , muffled. I another time used a friend's v3P Slingerland set for a gig . His gig. I unloaded set up and played his drums. the brackets to hold the toms, the spurs, the floor tom legs, the metal did not seem like Gretsch/Ludwig. Wing Ts were froze and would barely tighten snug up. Like the metal was both soft/ and hard that the Ts' before 'tight' binded up. Not nice.

Here's the final kicker I've read. Besides the wide bearing edge which stifled tones and the metal that seemed to bind on all the hardware was.

You can't easily 'replace' the hardware. The Tom post for example. On a Gretsch, Ludwig even Tama, you can 'interchange' the posts- diameters being similar. Slingerland has their own unique diameter. So you can't just drop a Gibraltar or Ludwig post in a twin tom set.
A reason maybe/ why/ you don't see many Slingerland sets/ retrofitted with any modern hardware, still in service doing duty.
So even tho they are/ were a mainstream American brand they had some peculiarities that prevent the same usage vintage Ludwig and Gretsch enjoy.
I am not the conclusive word on these. Owners have different experience but this is what and how I noticed these couple/few foibles
My Spirit 1000 kit had Pearl style 7/8" pipe arms. Perhaps this was their attempt at rectifying that earlier hardware mess you describe.

The spurs still sucked on mine.

My Spirit 1000 kit
I don't that's even considered a Sling kit in the same breath as USA 3P 60s early 70s sling kits but. Ok,.
Perhaps this was their attempt at rectifying that earlier hardware mess you describe.
No they still had top line.
And the top line homegrown attempt made was an extended double post up upon an already double- post- seen in 78 catalog- the "Magnum"..

When an US company goes overseas and brings in a model or 'accessories'..... When GM went overseas and brought back a Geo (suzuki) and slapped a Chevy badge on it Didn't make it a Chevy capische?

Last edited:
They are telescopic from the shell but are literally pointless in stopping bass drum creep as they are rounded and not spiked at the ends.

I just use my DW clamp on ones and leave the Slingerland ones non extended.

View attachment 127856View attachment 127857
That doesn’t look like a Slingerland bd spur. They usually have a pointed end. You should use a rug with a block on the front or sone other way to stabilize the drum. That is standard.

Reactions: jda
I have a Slingerland 3ply and a 5ply. Also Gretsch, Ludwig and Sonor. The 3ply are a mellow, warm, round tone. Very melodic and excellent for acoustic music. I mainly play jazz. They are very similar to three ply Ludwig’s. The five ply Slingerland are brighter and have more projection. I understand why Slingerland changed their shells in the late 70’s. Those drums are very versatile and sound great in any style. They are almost as lively as the Sonors which have the ultimate projection and bright tone. Gretsch have also a bright tone but are more muted. Like a combination of the 3ply and Sonor sound. There isn’t one superior sound for me. They are different colors which suit different styles.

That doesn’t look like a Slingerland bd spur. They usually have a pointed end. You should use a rug with a block on the front or sone other way to stabilize the drum. That is standard.
I thought so too, but apparently, some of their spurs don’t have a pointed end.

Back