Anyone Else Find Cheap, Older Pedals Sometimes Better?

I don’t know about old, but I like the simpler and lightweight pedals best too. I think it does have to do with the mass and inertia maybe

Do you think that the feeling of it being "fast" is related to the overall lower mass of the design? Maybe that's why these jam session, junk pedals seem so responsive to me.

Simpler might be better. I'm also playing a Yamaha 7210 live. It feels great and you can beat the snot out of it; I see it at every rehearsal studio, and they wouldn't be there if they failed. Lots of Pearl and Yamaha pedals feel superb to me and none of them were top-of-the-line. My go to before these were DW 5000s from the 80s. Same deal, simple design and durable.

Dan

The difference is baseplate or no baseplate. The feel is really different. Basic cheap pedal like Tama HP30 has a great feel and I never found it much fragile or more prompt to loose any part than my old iron cobra. The feel of a less rigid pedal without a baseplate is great.

Last edited:
I know the Yamaha feels really light - they use a very light beater compared to DW. I had the direct drive of the Yamaha and it felt great.
I've never had a direct drive pedal before although I once briefly tried an Axis Long Board double pedal. I couldn't believe how quick and precise it was; however, I never really got the chance to test it when playing it dynamically....like when playing a swing beat with beats (against the batter head) of varying intensities. Like when doing quick, dynamic ostinatos.

What did you think of the direct drive Yamaha that you had. Could you get it to play like chain driven models?

I've never had a direct drive pedal before although I once briefly tried an Axis Long Board double pedal. I couldn't believe how quick and precise it was; however, I never really got the chance to test it when playing it dynamically....like when playing a swing beat with beats (against the batter head) of varying intensities. Like when doing quick, dynamic ostinatos.

What did you think of the direct drive Yamaha that you had. Could you get it to play like chain driven models?
Unfortunately the Yamaha taught me why I no longer play direct drive pedals. I grew up on a Speed King but have primarily played Camco-type pedals most of my life. The one time I went back to a direct pedal there were some things I couldn’t do (all discovered when I took it on a gig the same day I got it). So I returned it and went back to a chain, or a strap on a cam. Fortunately you can get that same Yamaha pedal with a chain and that behaves as it should for me.

That said, this is also the reason I haven’t really upgraded lately - if they all feel the same, I don’t necessarily need a newer version of an old feel. The biggest upgrade feel, for me, is still having the pedal on a plate. There’s nothing more solid than that feel. Maybe I should put my old Tama Flexi-Flyer on a plate - but I have no way of anchoring it without drilling the frame and the heel.

Last edited:
Do you have a sense as to what about the DW9000 was slowing you down? Was it the heavy weight of the overall mechanisms involved? Any sense of what it was?
The DW9000 has a large mechanism for adjusting the cam. And the return spring has to move this portion of the pedal during the return stroke. In fact the spring has to move the footboard, beater and chain during the return stroke. I need a stiff spring tension so that the pedal stays against my foot during the return stroke. Consequently I had the spring tension very high on my DW9000. So it returned ok for the return stroke but the strong spring tension made it harder to press down on the pedal for the down stroke. With a lighter pedal you can have less spring tension and it will be easier to push down on the pedal for the down stroke. I hope this makes sense for you.

I tried proving to myself over the last few years I didn't need an Axis Longboard to do everything I wanted & in fact, wondered if so many years on them & not using them for triggered kicks was holding me back from evolving. Old belt/strap pedals are pretty great to play, not so big on single chain. Havent got to try many old DDs apart from a Speed King

I used to be in love with Speed Kings but I've really come to appreciate how much smoother modern pedals are. Particularly the DW 5000. Just so much less effort to do the same things.
I have both & they each do what I need them to. The Speed King for it's portability & the 5000 for it's ruggedness.

I still enjoy my Speed King, in addition to my 1999 Iron Cobra (almost bulletproof), DW 3000, and Sonor Perfect Balance. But lately, I've been using my 30 year old Tama HP-45, which I've used off and on all these years. I still like its portability and action. Between the HP-45, Speed King, and Perfect Balance, I guess simpler is better for me.

I am firmly in the camp that these below pedals are all that one ever needs (unless of course you need a double pedal version) and anything more expensive than these is just an attempt to get you to pay more for more of the same thing. You can swap the chain for a strap model if you'd like and change the beater out, those options are all fine. All other "features" found in high end pedals are just capitalism.
download.jpegdownload (1).jpeg

That said, the Tama Classic series pedal is my favorite "fancy" one I've ever had and is a decently priced modern quality vintage inspired pedal. The height adjustment is gimmicky but as someone who likes 16" and 18" bass drums with no riser it definitely is functional.

I am firmly in the camp that these below pedals are all that one ever needs (unless of course you need a double pedal version) and anything more expensive than these is just an attempt to get you to pay more for more of the same thing. You can swap the chain for a strap model if you'd like and change the beater out, those options are all fine. All other "features" found in high end pedals are just capitalism.
View attachment 139273View attachment 139274

That said, the Tama Classic series pedal is my favorite "fancy" one I've ever had and is a decently priced modern quality vintage inspired pedal. The height adjustment is gimmicky but as someone who likes 16" and 18" bass drums with no riser it definitely is functional.
Sounds like it's not so gimmicky :)

When I was young a local store had a vintage Ghost Pedal.

I loved it! SO smooth...seemed to stick to my foot.

I think it was a confluence of its re-build and its 'tuning'.

i saved...but it was sold out from under me.

i kept looking at them but finding one in good shape turned out to be really expensive and rare...so Camco it was...then DW3000...until much later when i found an Axis dbl in the S.F. Guitar Center...that changed what I think of pedals.

I realized the same thing with the DW9000 - it’s pretty hefty. But I was ok with how it felt. But I’ve also tried the Axis’s and Trick pedals - and those were light and incredible. I suppose the pedal in-between the light and heavy crowd is that new Yamaha FP9 - incredibly smooth and light - but also $350!
I switched from DW 9000 to the new Yamaha FP9D...Yamaha is so much more sensitive and responsive. Same with the hi hat stand---from 9000 to Yamaha toggle. My playing improved the moment I sat down on them, and has been improving at a rate I couldnt acheive with the 9000.

Edit: Thinking about getting the cheapest Yamaha pedal available just to compare.

Last edited:
I switched from DW 9000 to the new Yamaha FP9D...Yamaha is so much more sensitive and responsive. Same with the hi hat stand---from 9000 to Yamaha toggle. My playing improved the moment I sat down on them, and has been improving at a rate I couldnt acheive with the 9000.
I’ve been happily using the old FP8 chain drive (it looks like a Flying Dragon) and it’s great. I am using a Crosstown hi-hat, but I think I may upgrade that to that HH800 series hi hat stand - I swear sometimes I think the aluminum bends when I’m really bashing away on the Crosstown hi hat stand.

I'm with roncadillac and others who like the basic Yamaha pedals, especially the FP7210. I have a couple of Flying Dragons as well but the 7210 is a great no-frills pedal. I upgraded the spring assembly and hub bearing on mine and feel like I will never outgrow it.

If you're talking about Speed Kings then yes, 100%. The current issue is even better but quite expensive.
Most good cheap chain-driven pedals are IMHO still in production. They mainly offer less adjustability and fine ball bearings, but offer good value if you like their basic feel.

I have an inexpensive Pearl pedal (Model P120, I think?) that's been fantastic. It plays just as well as expensive ones. At least my foot can't tell the difference. :)

A lightweight Yamaha pedal without a base plate has been tucked away in my "emergency" bag. I've never even unpacked it. Some day I really ought to set it up and bring that baby to life! :)

Back