A serious thread... (regarding a Buddy Rich quote)

He must have had the nerve ; He's still doing it from the grave 😁

Last edited:
Just want to point out, regarding the Rush comparisons; nothing Peart played was remarkably technically advanced. The reason Rush is a challenge to play is mostly not because of technique, it's because of all the detail, and the precision of it.
Compared to other rock and pop, there's nearly an album's worth of drumming in some of those songs. If you're going to play them as recorded, it's a lot to get right in one take.

Buddy's playing, on the other hand; you either have the education and skills to physically play it or you don't.

As far as Buddy theoretically putting his own spin on Rush tunes, it would just ruin the music regardless of his unquestionable ability.
Improvisation makes jazz great. But Rush's music is like a grid. Like most classical music, every note needs to be in it's place or it's just wrong.
This is assuming Buddy would be playing the material without much rehearsal time. If he had a month or two of daily rehearsals, including listening to recordings of the rehearsals and getting feedback from band members, I guarantee you he could nail it. But I agree, without that prep time, it wouldn’t sound like Rush. It would sound like a great jazz drummer doing his best to sound like Rush, but not having enough prep time
No doubt Buddy Rich would nail it. That's kind of my point, that Rush (and similar music) is more about learning the song than being profoundly technically capable. The challenge is not leaving anything out, and not having to substitute Neil's precise, deliberate notes with your own . . . stuff.

Contrarily, the challenge to playing Buddy's music is, frankly, even being able to make your hands do what his could do.
Yeah. I mean, it’s certainly possible to learn buddy’s solos note-for-note, but his genius was just making it up in the moment out of little bits and pieces he had worked on. And playing with enough intensity to hold your interest

facts....all of these...good convo post exchange!!!

and just to add, Buddy was not a big enough nerd to be in Rush....he would not have sat in the hotel rooms reading while the other bands were out partying.....

I feel like Buddy would have overplayed a Rush song...sort of like Neil underplaying Buddy stuff.

I am not a fan of Buddy to be honest. As a young drummer, he did not impress me past the initial "he's fast" stuff, so I am sort of biased against him.

but the memes don't effect me at all, same with his comments

and I also think @Frank Godiva brings up a good point: what Buddy songs are memorable? I have the Krupa vs Rich drum battle album, and a few of those songs stick with me, more b/c I played the crap out of that album as a kid. But when I think of great jazz songs, nothing related to Rich comes up
I feel the same way. I have the Rich vs Roach record and I find Max's solos far more interesting and musical.

Bud also was a Gentle Perfectionist
all you have to do is listen to the last note here:

Last edited:
Age old saga of those that come before us. Buddys era was jazz so all after is noise. His parents would have been classical so to them jazz is noise. Im 55 so my era is classic rock and grunge so indu and alternative is noise. My daughters era is alternative so in a few years what ever is the "modern" genre will be noise. And so on.

Id like to think i am different. I try to find the beauty in all music and while it may not be immediately evident to me i will always listen to whats next and find some enjoyment.

We currently live in an era where tolerance is WAY down and sensitivity is WAY up.

Buddy was unapoligetically Buddy. He earned that right by coming up through vaudville as a child and being in show business his entire life. I love all of his solos, I never liked any of the music he played on, just not my thing but as a drummer, he was second to none at the time. Like Bonham, are there better drummers out there now than Bonham...yes but he was a monster in his time. There are guys that can play bettter than buddy ( solo not to a song) but during his life, there was no compertition.

Great question! That show was 1969.
1971 catalog.
4/14 not brass? COW! Slingerland

1971-slingerland-snare2.jpg

check those prices and look like stick chopper hoops this model specifically

@opentune

Last edited:
Bud was lying deathly ill in the hospital
a beautiful nurse appeared over him and asked
"Mr. Rich. Are you allergic to anything?"
Bud thought a moment turned to the nurse looked up and said "Country and Western"

😁
the end

Last edited:
Age old saga of those that come before us. Buddys era was jazz so all after is noise. His parents would have been classical so to them jazz is noise. Im 55 so my era is classic rock and grunge so indu and alternative is noise. My daughters era is alternative so in a few years what ever is the "modern" genre will be noise. And so on.

Id like to think i am different. I try to find the beauty in all music and while it may not be immediately evident to me i will always listen to whats next and find some enjoyment.

We currently live in an era where tolerance is WAY down and sensitivity is WAY up.
You had me until the final sentence. I mean, your previous two paragraphs were all about how all previous generations were intolerant and overly sensitive. Unless by "we currently live in an era" you were being ironical and actually meant "all humans always live in an era."

There are obviously oh so many exceptions, some of them quite famous, but I have often been struck by just how many top artists continue to be interested in new music and new artists and new styles, even in their 60s and 70s and 80s, in stark contrast to, well, almost everyone I went to school with, most of whose likes were set in stone by the time they were in their mid-20s if not earlier.

Buddy, were he around today, would be in a category I reserve for, say, Morrissey or Kanye; you just expect to hear ridiculous things from them, so to me it's neither shocking nor terribly interesting when they fire off their latest salvo.

Buddy didn't like rock. Big whoop. He didn't like a lot of things. Doesn't change the way I feel about his playing. Buddy was who he was.

Dan

Buddy, were he around today, would be in a category I reserve for, say, Morrissey or Kanye; you just expect to hear ridiculous things from them, so to me it's neither shocking nor terribly interesting when they fire off their latest salvo.

Buddy didn't like rock. Big whoop. He didn't like a lot of things. Doesn't change the way I feel about his playing. Buddy was who he was.

Dan
AMEN equiptmendork...AMEN.

You hit the nail on the head. What did Buddy actually create? He mostly played big band standards, right? Guys like Gavin Harrison and Peart have created music. Their creative contributions were as instrumental to the compositions as their band mates’. One song’s parts are as unique as the next. Buddy had amazing rudimentary technique, but once you’ve seen one solo, you’ve seen them all. That egotistical jerk has the nerve to knock rock drummers?
To be convincing, rock begins with an attitude and attitudes are generational . What is hip ? It's reflected in the circumstances of the world you live in .

I think a lot of what Buddy said was like basketball players trash talking. It's just showbiz. You can't really take the quotes seriously, even the ones he actually *did* say, lol.

As for Buddy playing stuff like Rush - we'll never know, but I doubt he'd have had much interest in it. IDK. He certainly had the ability.

My ex-wife’s grandfather was a first cousin of Buddy Rich, as I found out one day. Buddy was also famous for telling a nurse once in his uptake for a hospital admission.

Nurses Question: Mr. Rich, is there anything that you are allergic to?

Buddy’s Answer: Yes, I am allergic to Country Music.

When Peart tried to play Buddy Rich in a Burning For Buddy series of tributes it sounded flat and clunky. From memory Omar Hakim, I think it was, killed it. I never found the series on my own. Someone showed it to me.

Buddy could've played Rush with little issue. He'd have enjoyed some passages, but the song structures weren't what he dug most.

Could he play Damien Schmitt or Tony Royster Jr in the matrix passages? Because that's what they look like when each is in full on mode. Like they're in the matrix.
The guy could probably play any Rush song with a four piece.

He was a great drummer for his style and era -part his adopting a whole bunch of influences (in his words like the Whipped Cream rolls, etc he leaned from other jazz/big band cats) to bring them to forefront so he got a lot of exposure. As a young lad in 60s early 70s he knocked my socks off-but as I grew, with more exposure of other great jazz and big band drummers who didn't get as much exposure, one I realized there's a whole bunch of great drummers living during his lifespan and two I realized he had a lot of exposure on Johnny Carson, etc. that brought him into everyones living room that he gained favor. Not all artist got same exposure or treatment-if you know what I mean.

Back