how many years did it take to feel u know how to play drums

georgeusa

and stop caring what other drummers do (in a way that you stress urself to get at their level)

(i'm assuming not many are on this stage)

It’s a maturity thing. I always work on stuff and never feel like I’ve arrived, but I would say I stopped caring what other drummers thought when I started working more than friends who weren’t. After a while you learn to accept yourself for what you can do and getting hired kinda reinforces that fact. And as I mentioned maturity - I even accepted myself for what I could do when the phone didn’t ring.

For me, that moment clicked for me around when I turned 18, basically my senior year of high school. I had been playing about 5-6 years at that point. It was mainly a confidence thing....probably because I was finally the undisputed best drummer at my school (one of my long term goals from when I was a kid)....but after that point, I stopped being nervous, and just enjoyed the hell out of performing live in front of people.

I still care about being the best drummer in the room....I'm never going to be *that* mature.....

How long?
Still don't feel that I'm there.
But I'm not worried about following a pro drummer, because I can do something to hold a little respect while not being a threat behind the kit.

There will always be drummers better than you and drummers not as good
If you can play drums and make music with others then, you are a drummer
you can become a better drummer, the horizon keeps expanding forever
consider advice and criticism but what you have to offer is YOUR decision and achievement

I had been banging around to records for about 3 years when a guy on a bicycle past by my bedroom window and asked if I wanted to jam with him. We got together a week later and at that moment I felt like a drummer. That was back in 1984, I was 14yrs old. Best feeling ever. Never good at school or sports but man, that was IT.

About 10 years. The third or fourth time I played with or in front of someone who'd never seen/heard me play before and was clearly sincere when they said they had no idea I was that good, it sank in that, yeah, I really was pretty decent. I was never going to be Simon Phillips, but by my late teens, I was good enough that most bar bands would have been happy to have a player like me. (Sadly, that was a long time ago, and due to various circumstances, that's no longer the case. But I still love to play and my family likes to hear me, so.)

age 12-13 I took lessons; had no drum; only practice pad, Sticks, and method book; and weekly lessons
late 13 into 14 I got a full drum set (used out of the paper) Ludwig Zildjians cases everything.
Within a year of practicing in my basement to a stack of 45s -popular music of the time (66-67-68-69-)
Within that Year I was ready and did join band played dances
So that's 1-1.5 year on a pad 1-1.1 year on the set. Call it 3+ years total.
and stop caring what other drummers do (in a way that you stress urself to get at their level)
I would say, the issue with that.. Is.. the music that surrounds you.
Bear in mind the late 60s AM Radio, music was for a drummer---not "over-the-top"---in other words it was "supportive" drumming a simpler "song" drumming with occasional "Breaks" of Drum fills Drum intros..intro's and exit's..

So what I think (always debatable..) is In a Young person's case today "without that constant " pop bubblegum Soul" playing constantly on the later 60s radio in the home and in the car and "in your ear" everywhere..

You may be putting/ Comparing yourself to "higher. difficult. more complex, maybe" standard.
(Shame about the stress which is inexcusable to have or happen to anyone)......Music shouldn't be that..
..and to listen to classic AM Radio and play and concentrate on the those drum set classics that might help better understand, and won't knock your confidence; but will build confidence; with anything up-to-the-minute contemporary.

I would alter your listening habits expand research/search back into a simpler time absorb that then come forward

- got any 5th Dimension albums?

Last edited:
I got my drumset and was in a band within a week, with two geeks who played Ventures covers. Was I any good? Probably not. But, I can go back and listen to a cassette of me playing with my first real garage band, and I sound acceptably good enough at age 15. A year later, after serious lessons, I was better. Playing in all the high school bands and the orchestra made me better still, as well as experience playing gigs. Playing along with records constantly also improved my playing.

I'm not so sure that "keeping up with" other drummers is as useful as it seems.

Once I stopped comparing I started blooming...less energy wasted - and my 'voice' emerged.

I ended up places I could not predict as I never heard 'me' before.

How long it takes others to get to this point is irrelevant...Your decision to come to this point is another thing.

I know how drums are to be played. I know how bass, voice and guitar are supposed to be played/performed.
I'm closer on drums than anything.

Stay humble with it all. I do what I need to do to get the job done. That's all you ever need to do and a lot harder than it sounds.

You'll always see and hear someone doing something differently and steal it. It's how you evolve as a player.

Getting gigs with musicians who I admired made me realize that I "got what it takes." Seeing students of mine go on to great things as musicians is also a constant boost. Then, of course, watching Buddy, Vinnie, Weckl, and hundreds more make me realize it's an ongoing process.

In terms of caring what other drummers do, I have always said that you have to know the rules before you can really start to break them. I feel like when I've grasped the "rules" of a certain rhythm or style, is when I really get to be creative.

I recognized the part in my playing when I stopped focusing intently on the physical act of drumming and allowed myself to focus on other things - bandmates, audience, etc. Then beyond that, there's a point where you can step away mentally from the act of performing altogether and almost have an out-of-body experience. You're in the moment, but you're not having to direct your body, muscle memory is 100% in control. Those moments are magic for me.

But as others have said here, there is no "maximum level achieved" in drumming. You always have room to grow and improve in some way. You may have enough knowledge, skills and abilities to be successful in a certain band or playing situation, but not every band or playing situation - yet.

The first few stages: 1) people want to play with you; 2) people want to hear you play; and 3) people pay to hear you play. Further stages: people want you to record with them; and, people pay for the recordings you play on. After that is what, big tours? I don't know. Can't say I've really hit stage 2, myself; it's taken me years to get close, but I don't care. Just love playing, practicing, polishing, talking, listening and thinking drums. Don't mind what others do or how good they are.

It's not one thing or the other. For a long time I've felt like I could play when I'm playing-- away from the drums, not so much. Most times I after play I think OK, now I can kind of play, finally-- which is different. None of it makes any sense, I've actually been able to play the drums for a long time.

It took awhile to figure out that other drummers are different from me, and I don't have to be like them-- people hear different and work out different things. I don't have to be able to duplicate what they do. I listen to my own records and I wouldn't be able to duplicate that on purpose, either.

Basically, it's a lifelong thing of not being completely sure a lot of the time.

It's like, Richard Pryor: "Good evening, hope I'm funny."

for me, about 15...

I started playing drum set when I was 4 years old. Dad taught me the basics

By 7 or 8, I could play along to pop stuf on the radio, Motown stuff, some jazz

by 10-11, I could play along to Styx, Rush and Kansas, and was discovering metal and punk, and also joined school band and started that route. By this time, I knew I was going to be a drummer for my career

in 7th grade, I had my first gig at a neighborhood block party. I played some covers with the neighborhood "adult" band. We did Carry On Wayward Son, Renegade, Godzilla and they tried to do Something For Nothing by rush, but it fell apart in the middle...that was a memorable moment of my life for sure

my first paying gig was my freshman year in HS when I played drum set for my band directors POLKA band in the basement of a local Catholic church. His dad was straight from Poland, so we did a ton of "oom-pah" with words I didn't understand....but I made $200 that night. It was packed!

by just out of high school, I felt like could keep a band together, and play pretty well stylistically.

in my mid-20's, I started playing for my current surf-punky band, and that is where i learned about recording, "the road" and the pursuit of a record deal.

after the touring life came to n end, I went back to college to get my Music Ed degree...and have been teaching ever since

I still have mastered nothing, but have a ton of great memories!!!

48 so far. ;)

Seriously, though, about three years, I think. I started when I was 11, and I got my first paying gig when I was 14. I actually had a lot more confidence in my playing back then, though it was highly unwarranted! lol I just didn't know any better.

Last edited:
Back