What are you listening to right now?

Layla turned 79 last week.

The former Mrs. George Harrison and former Mrs. Eric Clapton, Pattie Boyd turned 79 on March 17th.
Boyd began her fashion career in 1962 and appeared on the cover of the UK and Italian editions of Vogue magazine in 1969, with other popular models of the day, such as Twiggy, who based her early modelling appearance on Boyd. Pattie was asked by Gloria Stavers to write a column for 16 Magazine, and appeared in a TV commercial promoting Smith's crisps. She was cast for A Hard Day's Night, where she met George Harrison.
In 2007 Boyd published her autobiography, which includes some of her photographs, titled Wonderful Today in the UK; in the US it was published with the title Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me.
Happy Belated Birthday Pattie!!!

Layla turned 79 last week.

The former Mrs. George Harrison and former Mrs. Eric Clapton, Pattie Boyd turned 79 on March 17th.
Boyd began her fashion career in 1962 and appeared on the cover of the UK and Italian editions of Vogue magazine in 1969, with other popular models of the day, such as Twiggy, who based her early modelling appearance on Boyd. Pattie was asked by Gloria Stavers to write a column for 16 Magazine, and appeared in a TV commercial promoting Smith's crisps. She was cast for A Hard Day's Night, where she met George Harrison.
In 2007 Boyd published her autobiography, which includes some of her photographs, titled Wonderful Today in the UK; in the US it was published with the title Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton, and Me.
Happy Belated Birthday Pattie!!!
Heard it a million times but that piano outro still gets me...

I've been revisiting Keith Urbans live Stupid boy. Being a wannabe guitar player he's such a bad azz. Never knew he was such a guitar wizard. His playing on Clutterbilly by The Ranch (YouTube) is him country picking that is 🔥. His solo on Stupid boy is him attempting to mimic a hero of his Mark Knophler and he just crushes it.

I was just going down the YouTube rabbit hole watching a bunch of Chuck Berry live performances. Good God it's no wonder he got a reputation for being hard to deal with. So many of his backing bands are so unfunky that I can't blame him for being PO'd.

Thus, FWIW and in my very limited powers as an anonymous internet nobody, I hereby absolve Chuck Berry for being testy with his backup bands -- because frankly they sucked and were unworthy of him.

Currently listening to my Saturday morning playlist, something I first started putting together about 15 years ago, to get my kids acquainted with what I thought were great songs from the 50s through the current day they might not otherwise ever run across. By now it's up to something like 600 songs, and consequently my kids get excited when, say, "Midnight at the Oasis" or "Mmm-Bop" or "Rave On" or "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" or "Ages of You" or "You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine" or "Live to Tell" or "The Logical Song" or "Stuck on You" or "Umbrella" or whatever comes on, and don't seem to think those kinds of conjunctions are strange.

So this came on just now and it's always kind of interesting to me how he and Bob Seger were friends with and very nearly as commercially as successful as the Eagles at the time and yet in the years since have been nearly forgotten by all but their older fans and/or only known for one or two songs, in stark contrast to the Eagles.

I was just going down the YouTube rabbit hole watching a bunch of Chuck Berry live performances. Good God it's no wonder he got a reputation for being hard to deal with. So many of his backing bands are so unfunky that I can't blame him for being PO'd.

Thus, FWIW and in my very limited powers as an anonymous internet nobody, I hereby absolve Chuck Berry for being testy with his backup bands -- because frankly they sucked and were unworthy of him.
Yeah...but chicken/egg thing, right? He'd tell the promoter to hire a backing band but would never talk to them beforehand, much less actually rehearse—in fact, according to some backing bands, there would not only be no setlist, but he wouldn't even tell them what song or even what key the next tune would be in, he'd just start it and expect them to figure it out/catch up.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying, but if you're a pro musician you should be quick enough on the draw to deal with blues based rock pretty much instantly. And once you've figured out the key you should have a good feel. I have new sympathy for Mr. Berry after surveying the evidence.

So what you're saying is, besides Chuck Berry, you have absolutely no idea who the rest of those guys are, or the signifigance of this footage.
Got it. Thanks for your input.

So what you're saying is, besides Chuck Berry, you have absolutely no idea who the rest of those guys are, or the signifigance of this footage.
Got it. Thanks for your input.

What I'm saying is that blues based rock isn't rocket science, and that if you can't handle it in a soulful way then maybe you should've followed your dad's advice and gotten that accounting degree.

What I'm saying is that blues based rock isn't rocket science
You're right, it's not. However, again, Berry was famous for not only starting songs in not terribly common (for guitar) keys such as Ab or Eb, but also modulating in the middle of a song. I'm sure you've seen the 1987 documentary Hail! Hail! Rock 'n' Roll, but if it's been a while: Keith Richards actually gets Berry to rehearse for the big concert. And in exchange, Berry treats ol' Keef like shit. And Richards grins and bears it. But because they rehearsed, the concert goes off swimmingly. So much so that in the middle of one song, Chuck comes over and whispers in Keith's ear that he wants to switch to another key, something they'd very much not rehearsed. And Richards just smiles and shakes his head "no." And Chuck laughs, because while he was serious, he was obviously doing it to be difficult.

and that if you can't handle it in a soulful way then maybe you should've followed your dad's advice and gotten that accounting degree.

Well, that's kinda harsh. The backup bands were literally local bar bands, not Berklee grads. And, again, probably rarely if ever have to figure out what key a song is in after the leader just starts playing it, and then again, and then again, and then again, in front of large audiences. And to reiterate, he liked to play in unusual keys. And I think it's pretty understandable if after having this happen to you song after song, where you've got that horrible grinding of gears if one member of the band starts in the wrong key, you're a bit rattled. Especially since most of his backing bands probably weren't full-time musicians but local guys who understandably jumped at the chance to play with the living legend.

And there's no one to blame for that but Chuck Berry, who got paid very well and easily could have afforded a backing band--hell, he could have afforded new Berklee grads. At the very least, he could have talked to them ahead of time--and by that, I mean, even just saying "Bb" before launching into a riff.

I keep coming back to this, one of my favorite songs and band and also, great book.
Interesting setup with floor toms on each side with no rack toms (that I can see)...

Back