Nicko McBrain leaves Sonor - article.

The funny thing too, is that it appears that he would be invisible to the audience and other band members. No watching the drummer for trash can ending it would seem.
There's a scene in their Flight 666 documentary where Lars Ulrich makes the point jokingly that Nicko needs to realise that if he dropped all those drums then people would be able to see him the way he can be seen.
Also in that documentary it was great to see the Heavy Metal, Rock and Thrash royalty at the LA gig like excited kids at the prospect of seeing a Maiden gig :)

The guy has the craziest way of setting stuff up from an ergonomic perspective. Super low sitting with wall of nearly vertical drum heads. Kind of the opposite of the flat table of drums approach currently in fashion.

nickomcbrain5506987.jpg
In a way. Considering that his BD is 24” and the two rack toms above it are 13” & 14” in depth, plus allowing for about 1/2” clearance between the 14” Tom and Bass Drum, that’s 39.5” high. They’re angled, but not crazy Lars angled.

Attachments

• DAEB908F-76E6-4A63-A764-7B45EE80002B.jpeg
    DAEB908F-76E6-4A63-A764-7B45EE80002B.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 20
I think those are different setups in the two pics. Maybe an optical illusion, but I don't think so,

I think those are different setups in the two pics. Maybe an optical illusion, but I don't think so,

You might be right regarding the all blue kit (2013/14 tour). The pic showing just the two Toms (appears he’s doing a clinic) seem more angled than his other kits. They seem flatter on the Sonor legacy kit.

Attachments

• 5BBD9486-8398-44EB-88C3-A55450970C8D.jpeg
    5BBD9486-8398-44EB-88C3-A55450970C8D.jpeg
    24.1 KB · Views: 11
  • AA8B9652-5B2E-46CA-ADDB-BFFF450B8422.jpeg
    AA8B9652-5B2E-46CA-ADDB-BFFF450B8422.jpeg
    27.8 KB · Views: 12
Nicko seems to come to NAMM every year as he is a buyer (I think he has his own shop, so he's interested in getting products like the rest of the buyers). But I did get to "be in the area" near Sonor where they had his Sonor kit set up and he was letting people take pictures of his by the kit. It's actually really glorious in person. The art work just pops. People can play whatever they want, that's what's so cool about rock n roll, right?

But to his leaving Sonor for British, that's ok. He's not the only one, and he won't be the last. I was surprised when Erskine left Yamaha for DW, since he had been with Yamaha forever too. At least Steve Jordan is honest about his love for vintage Ludwigs and Yamaha doesn't seem to mind when he uses those old drums, either. Things change, it's just business. I'm sure Iron Maiden will sound the same, and if Nicko is happy, you'll be happy.

This video sheds more light on the situation, this has been "a long time coming". One of the names Nicko mentions is Craig Buckley, he was at Premier in their last incarnation. I met him a couple of times, he was very proactive to the extent that when I mentioned a kit on a now defunct forum he reached out to my local shop and asked them to offer me a discontinued kit that he had available at the factory at a reduced price.

And I can't believe that none of us out two and two together when BDC released the Nicko practice pad last year!

That is one of the ugliest drum kits I have ever set eyes upon. I realize he is Nikko, and a bad ass, and can do what he wants, but geez his idea of style is just obnoxious.
I think it's cool. I liked the octopus one that Chad Smith had in the 90's too. It's like tattoo I think. Some people think it's beautiful and some think it's distracting and gross or takes away from natural beauty or form.

As awkward as his set up looks, I think when you have that many drums, in order to make it ergonomic and to get to each surface with as little movement as possible, those angles are indeed helpful. My spine does not retract and extend, lifting my shoulder up several inches, where a flat top tom tom can be quickly struck in a comfortable position. I think of Vinnie's dealing cards comment, which makes so much sense to me, and if I had to deal to a player on a balcony, Id find it easier to tilt my wrists back and deal upward than to lift up my entire torso to keep my wrists flat. I don't see the necessity or appeal of flat toms other than from an aesthetic perspective. That being said, I don't play a huge kit, but I set up for action, not aesthetic.

I think it's cool. I liked the octopus one that Chad Smith had in the 90's too. It's like tattoo I think. Some people think it's beautiful and some think it's distracting and gross or takes away from natural beauty or form.

It's this particular one. I really like some of his other kits. The black and white Premier kit is cool, as is the yellow with red Book of Souls kit. I think that one is Sonor. The grey kit from around 2006 was cool too. However, I think the sky blue kit is kinda gross. More so than this latest kit. As they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

And that he’s barefoot.

I play in socks. I've tried barefoot but I find the claminess that happens between my foot and pedal to be disgusting. I wonder how his tech feels about it.

Actually, not really the case with Neil.

Lennie Demuzio was a long time Zildjian executive and Armand Zildjian's right-hand man. When Armand passed away Armand's daughters let Demuzio go. Sabian hired him. Neil, Weckl, and many others followed Demuzio to Sabian. (see this article http://viemagazine.com/article/hes-got-the-beat/)

Numerous other Zildjian endorser left around the time same time because they were loyal to Armand and Lennie, not the brand.

It had little to do with the product and much more to do with the people behind the products (which is often the main reason people switch endorsements).

As for Nicko, he had previously left Sonar to play Premier. He only went back to Sonar when Premier had financial issues.

I would guess Nicko is more in love with the concept of playing a British owned brand (as Premier was) than a German-owned brand.
Interesting, I didn't know it was Lennie DiMuzio who went to Sabian before Weckl and Peart... Reminds me, I'd like to pick up his book..

Interesting, I didn't know it was Lennie DiMuzio who went to Sabian before Weckl and Peart... Reminds me, I'd like to pick up his book..

The death of Armand Zildjian and Lennie leaving Zildjian soon after led to a huge exodus of Zildjian artists at the time. Though not everyone followed Lennie to Sabian.

Back