Nicko McBrain leaves Sonor - article.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
Any bets on the fact that British gave Nicko what he wanted no questions asked?
I site Neil Peart and Sabian: He was with Zidjian for most of his career and when he wanted his own line of cymbals, Zildjian wouldn't play ball.
Sabian saw that golden opportunity and jumped!

Seems celebrity brand loyalty isn't all that to some & everything to others.

Good for Nicko. I hope he keeps on rockin'!

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
That is one of the ugliest drum kits I have ever set eyes upon. I realize he is Nikko, and a bad ass, and can do what he wants, but geez his idea of style is just obnoxious.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
I'd agree, normally a god awful finish, but I'm sure it goes with the staging, so, there you go.
As for moving companies, he'd obviously feel BDC had something to offer that Sonor wasn't.
Nicko also played Premier drums for quite a while too, so I'm not really "shocked" to hear he's changed brands.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
He was the first person that I remember getting a custom built who didn't want suspension mounts on his toms. I don't know how or why I remember that detail. :unsure:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Any bets on the fact that British gave Nicko what he wanted no questions asked?
I site Neil Peart and Sabian: He was with Zidjian for most of his career and when he wanted his own line of cymbals, Zildjian wouldn't play ball.
Sabian saw that golden opportunity and jumped!

Seems celebrity brand loyalty isn't all that to some & everything to others.

Good for Nicko. I hope he keeps on rockin'!
Actually, not really the case with Neil.

Lennie Demuzio was a long time Zildjian executive and Armand Zildjian's right-hand man. When Armand passed away Armand's daughters let Demuzio go. Sabian hired him. Neil, Weckl, and many others followed Demuzio to Sabian. (see this article http://viemagazine.com/article/hes-got-the-beat/)

Numerous other Zildjian endorser left around the time same time because they were loyal to Armand and Lennie, not the brand.

It had little to do with the product and much more to do with the people behind the products (which is often the main reason people switch endorsements).

As for Nicko, he had previously left Sonar to play Premier. He only went back to Sonar when Premier had financial issues.

I would guess Nicko is more in love with the concept of playing a British owned brand (as Premier was) than a German-owned brand.

Last edited:

TJK

Lennie Demuzio was a long time Zildjian executive and Armand Zildjian's right-hand man. When Armand passed away Armand's daughters let Demuzio go. Sabian hired him. Neil, Weckl, and many others followed Demuzio to Sabian. (see this article http://viemagazine.com/article/hes-got-the-beat/)

Numerous other Zildjian endorser left around the time same time because they were loyal to Armand and Lennie, not the brand.

It had little to do with the product and much more to do with the people behind the products (which is often the main reason people switch endorsements).

As for Nicko, he had previously left Sonar to play Premier. He only went back to Sonar when Premier had financial issues.

I would guess Nicko is more in love with the concept of playing a British owned brand (as Premier was) than a German-owned brand.
Cool story on mr Demuzio

Last edited:

Woolwich

Silver Member
I never saw this coming. Nicko has been a very loyal endorser and for most if not all of his professional career he’s played only Sonor and Premier drumkits (I believe a Ludwig snare has nestled in the centre of his kit though) and Paiste cymbals. I saw an interview in which he explained that he only left Sonor to join Premier because they weren’t able to provide the worldwide tour support he needed, he remained friends with everyone at Sonor though, turning up on their stand at exhibitions and maintaining personal friendships so when Premier went down for the last time the move back to Sonor was an easy one to make.
Perhaps he struck up a friendship. With Keith Keogh who was behind the higher end kits that Premier made before he was “let go” and started up British Drum Company. Also I remember seeing the same A and R man at the local launch of the Premier Modern Classic line and Nickos “An Evening With” clinic tour. All the movers and shakers in the rooms knew him, perhaps he’s gone to BDC and it’s happened from there?
Whatever the reason, Nicko brings BDC to the attention of an entirely different demographic, I’ve looked on their Twitter feed and hadn’t realised how their offering has grown over the last few years, should the lottery numbers tumble correctly I know the configuration and colour of Legend Series kit I’ll buy!

CommanderRoss

Silver Member

Now I know more than I did before. You rock!! 🤘🤘

I had read about the Zildjian/Sabian deal with him in some drum publication back when it first happened. Seems the info wasn't entirely accurate.
And as we all know, Sabian & Zildjian are pretty much the same family formula, Neil (and others) got what they wanted.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I imagine that big name Pro's do what they have to do for reasons that serve them best for their business needs.

That being said I love Sonor shells, I think they're the bees knees but the mounting hardware drives me buggy at times.

mkelley

That finish could have been worse. It could have been the overdone and otherwise boooorrrring marine pearl or oyster black.

Woolwich

Silver Member
I remember seeing a video on YouTube a couple ofyears back where Nicko was showing the viewer around his then new Sonor kit. He was having trouble with positioning one of the smaller toms where he wanted it due to the hardware and mentioned that he could get by with it but it was something he really wanted to get sorted out later. In the YouTube comments (yes, I know, keyboard warrior battlefield) someone commented that on a kit costing X Thousand Pounds someone shouldn’t have to make do with awkward positioning, it should be right.
Was Nicko sick of making do? Was it something minor that on its own wouldn’t have mattered but as one of many niggles it was annoying? Was he annoyed at the Sonor publicity photo where they replaced the custom front head with a plain white one showing the Sonor and SQ2 logos?
Who knows, but in the spirit of contradicting my own comments in another thread I’m indulging myself in the minutiae of the situation.

Whatever, I think this is a genuinely excellent move by The British Drum Company.

Mastiff

The guy has the craziest way of setting stuff up from an ergonomic perspective. Super low sitting with wall of nearly vertical drum heads. Kind of the opposite of the flat table of drums approach currently in fashion.

Woolwich

Silver Member
And he never hits his ride cymbal by accident that partly obscures two of his toms.
I once sat behind a replica kit, it was one of those “if only I had a roadie” moments.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The guy has the craziest way of setting stuff up from an ergonomic perspective. Super low sitting with wall of nearly vertical drum heads. Kind of the opposite of the flat table of drums approach currently in fashion.

What a view! Some of that just seems to be awkward or unreachable.

Anyone else notice the inhaler on the floor next to the setlist?

Mastiff

The funny thing too, is that it appears that he would be invisible to the audience and other band members. No watching the drummer for trash can ending it would seem.