Your Paiste Cymbal Rig

CA1F932F-8AA4-4EFE-A726-9366B958FF3D.jpegCA1F932F-8AA4-4EFE-A726-9366B958FF3D.jpeg
L to R: 20” Giant Beat Thin, 24” Masters Thin Ride, 21” 2002 Big Beat Multi, 16” 2002 crash over a Signature Power Crash (soon to be replaced with 17” hi hats of some sort).

EDIT: the soon-to-be hi hats will be the 17” Steve Jordan hi hats which I should see in a few months as soon as Paiste catches up on their backorders for “artists”. Can’t wait!

Last edited:
I get the sense from reading comments here that some of you are very serious Paiste nerds. So hey-- which models do you use, and which are your favorites?

Mine: Masters Series
22” Dark Ride 2566g
22” Swish 1958g
21” Dry Ride 2294g
20” Dark Crash Ride 1770g
18” Dark Crash 1304g
16” Dark Crash 938g
14” Dark Hi Hats 734/1166g

10” PSTX Swiss Splash 248g
8” Signature Splash 144g

I keep all of these cymbals set up and swap out the rides depending on the band/gig. Will also swap out the Swish and 16" Crash.

I REALLY like all of these cymbals a lot, but I think the 22" Dark Ride and the 20" Dark Crash Ride are my faves.
I have a mix of Meinl, Paiste and Sabian... My Paistes are 14" 2002 sound edge hats, 10' PST5 Mini China , and a 22" 2002 Medium Ride. just got the ride and i am loving it. Sounds a lot like Bonham's which i like.

I've been dialling in what i want more and more. Spend a lot of time in the soundroom on the Paiste site and still want the 22" Signature Dry Heavy Ride. Think i'm gonna go with 18 and 19" Signature Full Crashes. Although i like the 18" Fast Crash or even the Mellow Crash, they sound a bit too familiar like my current crashes. I want something opposite of what i have now (dark). Hats are at the moment a tie; i like the 14" Signature Soundedge hats, but also dig the 15" 2002's. Too bad they don't make 15" Signature Soundedge Hats anymore, the 14" sound a tad too bright for me and i think the 2002's have what i want. On the other hand, the 14" Sigs blend in perfectly with the other 3...

As far as i know there isn't a 2002 Medium Ride? The "regular" 2002 ride is listed to have a 'medium' weight, perhaps you meant that?
You're partly right.
Currently, there's a 2002 Ride and a 2002 Medium.
Oddly enough, the "medium" is the lighter of the two cymbals.
There's also a Heavy and Power in that series now, but your comment had to do with the existence of a "2002 Medium Ride", so I held my comments to those, mainly.

I really like the 18" Fast Crash too - a nice compliment to it is the 19" Dark Energy Crash.
Exactly what I was thinking to do, I have a 19" Dark Energy crash and the fast crash or full crash signature is suoer nice with it for what I could tell on line. So, I have:
1) Masters Dark Crisp ride 22", still on the right side of my main ride (The Sabian AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride 21") and it still one of the lowest pitches of all my rides but with the upset drips PAISTE sound that I love
2) Signature Dark Energy crash 19"
3) Signature Dark Energy crash 15" (16" professionally cut form a 16" with a little crack)
4) Sound factory Frankenstein logo crash 16"

So, my idea is to buy the 18" signature crash and one Hihat but which one? Master dark crisp Hihat, signature hats? I'm lost, let me know your thoughts.

You're partly right.
Currently, there's a 2002 Ride and a 2002 Medium.
Oddly enough, the "medium" is the lighter of the two cymbals.
There's also a Heavy and Power in that series now, but your comment had to do with the existence of a "2002 Medium Ride", so I held my comments to those, mainly.

Yeah i thought maybe Paiste released such a model once and i missed it. Never knew the Medium would be lighter, always assumed it to be heavier, but the regular ride is listed as a "heavy" weight. But so are the Power and Heavy Rides, a bit confusing if you ask me hehe

Yeah i thought maybe Paiste released such a model once and i missed it. Never knew the Medium would be lighter, always assumed it to be heavier, but the regular ride is listed as a "heavy" weight. But so are the Power and Heavy Rides, a bit confusing if you ask me hehe
Yes, definately.

I've been dialling in what i want more and more. Spend a lot of time in the soundroom on the Paiste site and still want the 22" Signature Dry Heavy Ride. Think i'm gonna go with 18 and 19" Signature Full Crashes. Although i like the 18" Fast Crash or even the Mellow Crash, they sound a bit too familiar like my current crashes. I want something opposite of what i have now (dark). Hats are at the moment a tie; i like the 14" Signature Soundedge hats, but also dig the 15" 2002's. Too bad they don't make 15" Signature Soundedge Hats anymore, the 14" sound a tad too bright for me and i think the 2002's have what i want. On the other hand, the 14" Sigs blend in perfectly with the other 3...

I too would love to get a pair of 15” Sig. Sound Edge Hats. Too Bad they were discontinued 😒

Exactly what I was thinking to do, I have a 19" Dark Energy crash and the fast crash or full crash signature is suoer nice with it for what I could tell on line. So, I have:
1) Masters Dark Crisp ride 22", still on the right side of my main ride (The Sabian AAX Raw Bell Dry Ride 21") and it still one of the lowest pitches of all my rides but with the upset drips PAISTE sound that I love
2) Signature Dark Energy crash 19"
3) Signature Dark Energy crash 15" (16" professionally cut form a 16" with a little crack)
4) Sound factory Frankenstein logo crash 16"

So, my idea is to buy the 18" signature crash and one Hihat but which one? Master dark crisp Hihat, signature hats? I'm lost, let me know your thoughts.
The 18“ Signature Full Crash blends nicely with the 19“ Dark Energy. I am using a 17“ Dimensions Medium Thin (which sounds pretty much the same as a 2002 17“ Thin Crash). with the 19“ Dark Energy. My two favourite Hi-Hats are 15“ Modern Essentials or 15“ 2002 Big Beats.

I have the 13" Signature Hats and Im not very happy with them. I use my 14" 2002 Sound edge most of the time now. I like how clean and musical they sound. The Sigs are too brittle sounding.

Reactions: iCe

Those weight names come from the original Formula 602 lineup, a medium being a " medium weight" cymbal, it could be dual purpose, a crash ride or a heavy crash. In reality, with the modern weights of crash cymbals, a "medium" is really a medium crash.

602 model lineup from lightest to heaviest:
paper thin
thin crash
thin
medium
medium ride
heavy

1965 catalog:

paiste 1965 catalog 2.jpg

I have the 13" Signature Hats and Im not very happy with them. I use my 14" 2002 Sound edge most of the time now. I like how clean and musical they sound. The Sigs are too brittle sounding.

Been listening to some vid demo's and decided on the 14" Signature Soundedge. Found the Paiste recordings sounding higher pitched, while vids from MyCymbal.com and others have the hats sounding significantly lower in pitch. Still have that nice Signature shimmer to them and they just sound right! A bit more complex sounding compared to the 2002's and with those other samples is what drew me over the line :)

The 18“ Signature Full Crash blends nicely with the 19“ Dark Energy. I am using a 17“ Dimensions Medium Thin (which sounds pretty much the same as a 2002 17“ Thin Crash). with the 19“ Dark Energy. My two favourite Hi-Hats are 15“ Modern Essentials or 15“ 2002 Big Beats.
Yes, I think I will go with the full crash, I prefer it to the fast crash as it last a bit longer, the fast crash is too short for my other cymbals. I will check again the Paiste sound lab as I'm not about fan of the 602 or 602 modern essential and the 2002 are too brittle for me. I'm still hesitating between a master or a signature.

Yes, I think I will go with the full crash, I prefer it to the fast crash as it last a bit longer, the fast crash is too short for my other cymbals. I will check again the Paiste sound lab as I'm not about fan of the 602 or 602 modern essential and the 2002 are too brittle for me. I'm still hesitating between a master or a signature.
2002’s ‘Brittle’? 🤔 just how hard do You hit them. They’re designed for Rock. I can see the 602’s being Brittle.

2002’s ‘Brittle’? 🤔 just how hard do You hit them. They’re designed for Rock. I can see the 602’s being Brittle.
Yes, that's why I'm not a big fan, I'm more of a jazz/Funk/jazz rock/pop/dance guy than a rock guy. You're right, that sound too rock for me, maybe brittle is not the right term, sorry for my English.

Back