Yamaha Tour Custom Maple

I've talked about them plenty. They're great drums. This is my kit.

My review of the Yamaha Tour Custom

BwS7nwS.jpeg

I took this pic recently during practice with my blues band.
LLJyISx.jpeg

This would be my "go to" kit if I were looking to buy a new intermediate level kit. The finish options are very limited, and some (not me) might argue that they're bit boring. The only negative comment I have read is that the bass drum spurs are not very beefy. You also can't buy an add-on bass drum if you desire a double-bass kit. The price is excellent for a shell pack, and can be even better when you come across a 15% off sale that many online retailers periodically offer throughout the year.

Went to a wedding a couple years ago they hired a killer R&B/ funk/top 40 band. The drummer was playing a 4 pc kit of these in the black color with a deep metal snare (not sure what brand that was) and the kit sounded great.
Pro drums from Yamaha.

Thin shells , what are the edges?
From the site: https://usa.yamaha.com/products/mus...rum_sets/tour_custom2/specs.html#product-tabs
45 degrees.

I had a set. Nice drums with a couple features that I really liked - the inverse dyna hoops, the 20" bass drum has 10 lugs per side,
and the floor tom has 8 lugs instead of the 6 found on the Stage Customs.
Despite all that, I just didn't gel with them and traded them off for something else.

I had a lengthy review written up here: https://www.drummerworld.com/forums/index.php?threads/review-yamaha-tour-custom.158591/
but I bought the set used and some of the info didn't apply to a new set, so I removed it when I got a different set.

I only have the snare drum from this series and it's an amazing bargain at the price in my opinion.

If I were in the market for drums in this price range, these would probably be the ones I'd get. That said, I am a huge fan of Yamaha drums (and other instruments).

Depends on your territory. Here in China, they cost just a hair less than Renowns but with very limited choices wrt size and finish, so you know my pick.
OTOH the Recording Customs are quite affordable here. They also make matching concert toms in their symphonic percussion line. If only they'd come in a nicer finish...

Good drums, and I agree they do seem to fly under the radar.

With great respect to you drummers who own and love Yamaha TCs, I didn't like them. My reasons are admittedly fickle. I unboxed a brand new kit, installed heads tapped around a little bit, and sent them back. Here's why:

1. I'm spoiled. After owning Pearl Masters, Yamaha RC and Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute the drums just felt light and unsubstantial. They felt more like Stage Customs.
2. The black finish in the photos looked fantastic. Up close, I was unimpressed.
3. I think I paid $1,400? For that amount of money, I was expecting more.

With great respect to you drummers who own and love Yamaha TCs, I didn't like them. My reasons are admittedly fickle. I unboxed a brand new kit, installed heads tapped around a little bit, and sent them back. Here's why:

1. I'm spoiled. After owning Pearl Masters, Yamaha RC and Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute the drums just felt light and unsubstantial. They felt more like Stage Customs.
2. The black finish in the photos looked fantastic. Up close, I was unimpressed.
I get your points. But when I got a set, my mentality was already, “I’m not spending $4000 on an RC set”, so I was programming myself to like them and if you look past the pedestrian finishes, I’m still impressed. Heck, if you wanted a Ludwig like Downbeat kit, Ludwig charges more for their neusonic version than getting the Tour Custom - and you get ten lugs on the bass drum. They’re a great value for the gigging drummers out there.

Better duck, AJ! Incoming! 😂

I like Tour Customs quite a bit and their lightness makes them ideal gigging kits. That lightness comes at a price, however, as they aren't particularly loud and don't feel as substantial as some other similarly priced kits. They feel like upscale Stage Customs, which is not a bad thing.

Back