Worst gig offer ever!

When I was a kid I highschool in the early 2000's, and even into my late teens/early twenties after highschool, playing original music in what was called the "emo hardcore scene" this was a very common practice. While I personally think this is a super disgusting way of setting up a gig, it was super common for the scene I was in at the time.

It was gross back then and it's even worse to do this to professional adults.
It was exactly the same in England in the early 00s. It was disguised as "Battle of the Bands" aka who's got the most mates. I don't think anything has changed. Never understood bring your own crowd and do all the venues promotion for them and pay for the privilege!

I started doing covers gigs at the same time as I started doing original gigs so I saw through this crap very quickly, but there's always that one over-optimistic, dead keen, naïve one who laps it up and it always led to fallouts. One of them is in his 40s and still doing these kind of original gigs. Whatever makes you happy I suppose!

I have no qualms working for free in the right situation: charity gig, private party where we're treated like rock stars, community event, etc... I will never play a free gig where some other person, venue or business is making money off my labor. No thanks

Agreed. There was one free gig I routinely did for years, the Elvis Birthday Bash at various venues in L.A. It was mostly Americana bands/artists each doing two Elvis songs. Drums and amps were provided, there were refreshments, and mostly it was a great hang and a chance to catch up with players who wouldn't normally be at the same place at the same time.

Agreed. There was one free gig I routinely did for years, the Elvis Birthday Bash at various venues in L.A. It was mostly Americana bands/artists each doing two Elvis songs. Drums and amps were provided, there were refreshments, and mostly it was a great hang and a chance to catch up with players who wouldn't normally be at the same place at the same time.
That does actually sound like fun! Show up and run some chill shuffles all night without any load in/load out, chat with some cool people, grab a free drink. I totally would have done the same thing.

Reactions: A J
It was exactly the same in England in the early 00s. It was disguised as "Battle of the Bands" aka who's got the most mates. I don't think anything has changed. Never understood bring your own crowd and do all the venues promotion for them and pay for the privilege!

I started doing covers gigs at the same time as I started doing original gigs so I saw through this crap very quickly, but there's always that one over-optimistic, dead keen, naïve one who laps it up and it always led to fallouts. One of them is in his 40s and still doing these kind of original gigs. Whatever makes you happy I suppose!
I almost wish I had first hand tales to tell but fortunately I never got involved.
However, there was the local promoter who ran one every Tuesday (because that's such a great going out night around here 🙄), you got about 20 minutes and the promise of plum gigs if you won. Common sense tells you it was never going to happen, a small amount of insight and maths knowledge would highlight that at a rare of 52 winners a year it was unsustainable. Or perhaps it was just a case of the better bands ousting the lesser in which case the whole thing was built on a lie.
Our guitarist was already in a band when he joined us. While his other band's plans revolved around these Battles, he ended up doing more gigs with us within a few months of formation than he ever did with his other band. The low spot was when we got offered a gig at a place with a bit of a reputation, we turned it down only to learn that his other band had been offered it by the promoter and he hadn't bothered raising the red flags we'd discussed with that band. On the night they turned up to learn that they weren't on but a solo act was instead, this was exactly the type of thing we'd discussed could happen.
In my experience, covers not originals, you need to rely on yourselves to get on. There are good promoters out there taking a cut but proactively working to get you suitable gigs but you need to find out who they are as there's far too many who'll just take advantage.

The lead guy in my band was just offered the absolute worst gig ever. He quickly declined even before speaking with the rest of the band; and for good reason. Here's the deal:

- The gig is a multi-band Summer extravaganza. Outdoor gig.
- Your band has to sell tickets to the venue months ahead of the gig. All money goes directly to the venue.
- Only 6 bands will actually get play. Those bands will be selected based upon which band sold the most tickets and will be announced the day of the event.
- If you're "band #7 or higher", you show up at the gig, don't get to play and all your ticket sales proceeds go to the venue. If you're bands # 1-6 you get to keep "a portion" of your ticket sales.

This is the rawest of raw deals. It makes a sleazy bar owner look like a saint.
Da Fu'Q???
I wouldn't be able to say no fast enough.

Translation:

-I have a big yard in the country and the barn is empty

-I like to drink and party but have no friends

-I need food and drinks for my party but have no money

Unless there are no neighbors for miles, or something noisy next door, I would fully expect the cops to show up.

you just described many of the "local metal fests" around here in Ohio.....

The lead guy in my band was just offered the absolute worst gig ever. He quickly declined even before speaking with the rest of the band; and for good reason. Here's the deal:

- Your band has to sell tickets to the venue months ahead of the gig. All money goes directly to the venue.
- Only 6 bands will actually get play. Those bands will be selected based upon which band sold the most tickets and will be announced the day of the event.
- If you're "band #7 or higher", you show up at the gig, don't get to play and all your ticket sales proceeds go to the venue. If you're bands # 1-6 you get to keep "a portion" of your ticket sales.

Despite knowing we are in March I’d have automatically checked it wasn’t the 1st April.

What absolute nonsense!

you just described many of the "local metal fests" around here in Ohio.....
I've played a few. Never had to sell tickets or bring a crowd though. In all fairness, we were usually the draw. Those days are long gone lol.

I went to one as a participant only. It was actually quite fun. I went with like 3 or 4 friends. We got there late at like 8pm. Everyone was tripping acid when we got there. We managed to find a few acoustic guitars and a conga and just started jamming with ourselves sitting in a field. After about 5 minutes there was probably about 100 light stick swinging hippies dancing in a giant circle all around us. It was very surreal. We (my friends and I) were all sober, a drug fueled light show moving in unison around us, and a beautiful night sky. It was very cool.

Here's the deal:

- Your band has to sell tickets to the venue months ahead of the gig. All money goes directly to the venue...
We can just stop right there, no.

Literally no professional industry in the world operates like this.

Just another take on pay for play.

I've played a few. Never had to sell tickets or bring a crowd though. In all fairness, we were usually the draw. Those days are long gone lol.

I went to one as a participant only. It was actually quite fun. I went with like 3 or 4 friends. We got there late at like 8pm. Everyone was tripping acid when we got there. We managed to find a few acoustic guitars and a conga and just started jamming with ourselves sitting in a field. After about 5 minutes there was probably about 100 light stick swinging hippies dancing in a giant circle all around us. It was very surreal. We (my friends and I) were all sober, a drug fueled light show moving in unison around us, and a beautiful night sky. It was very cool.

My "surreal" gig was in Iraq, deployed with the US Army, circa 2008. A group of us found some instruments at a large base and set up an outdoor stage on a large concrete pad surrounded by blast walls on three sides. It was the perfect clam shell. It was night and our venue was dimly lit. After about an hour of playing, more and more people showed up. It became standing room only. For a short time, we all forgot where we were and were in a better place.

We can just stop right there, no.

Literally no professional industry in the world operates like this.

You're correct. It was, by far, the worst gig offer I've ever heard of. It's even worse than:

- Playing for "exposure"
- Being required to "bring your own crowd"
- Playing for "the door" (translation: playing for a portion of the cover charge)
- Playing for tips only

I'd say your guitarist is a very smart guy to tell those idiots to shove their gig.

Years ago, our guitarist in the band I was in entered us in a band battle at a bar in the Pocono Mountains area of PA. The rest of us moaned and groaned to no end, because band battles are the ridiculous stuff of high school. Nevertheless, we played the first round and won, as well as the second round. On the third and final round, we lost out to a wretchedly terrible Kiss tribute band and an original band that was pretty good. As we came in third, we won nothing, even though we were probably the best band from a musical perspective. I dragged all my gear to this club (about 70 miles one way) twice and spent all that time, for nothing.

On the way out we said to the guitarist, "Eric, don't even THINK about entering us in a band battle ever again!"

He didn't.

I'd say your guitarist is a very smart guy to tell those idiots to shove their gig.

Years ago, our guitarist in the band I was in entered us in a band battle at a bar in the Pocono Mountains area of PA. The rest of us moaned and groaned to no end, because band battles are the ridiculous stuff of high school. Nevertheless, we played the first round and won, as well as the second round. On the third and final round, we lost out to a wretchedly terrible Kiss tribute band and an original band that was pretty good. As we came in third, we won nothing, even though we were probably the best band from a musical perspective. I dragged all my gear to this club (about 70 miles one way) twice and spent all that time, for nothing.

On the way out we said to the guitarist, "Eric, don't even THINK about entering us in a band battle ever again!"

He didn't.

Great story! Your efforts were not in vain as you have been able to confirm the suspicions of the rest of us: battles of the bands are losing propositions. I'm proud to say that although I have played the sleaziest bar gigs imaginable, I have never play a "battle of the bands".

I have, however; been dragged into various situations where the band had to "share the stage" with some other entity. It never works out well. Sometimes you sit for HOURS as an auction takes place in the middle of your gig. Or... sometimes it's 30 minutes of tributes to some person who died. Or sometimes it's a stupid dance act. Yeah... I've been in that situation, and it's never good.

Nowadays, pain has made me wiser. I will play sleazy venues for money. I will play charity gigs for free. I will NOT play "battles of the bands" or "bring your own crowd" or "sell tickets to our event" type of gigs. No thanks. Not for me.

However... Being the consummate team player that I am, I WOULD play a really crappy "battle of the bands" or similar event if the rest of the band insisted on it. Fortunately, I haven't ever been caught in that situation. Our lead guy is wise. He's not gonna lead us astray.

Great story! Your efforts were not in vain as you have been able to confirm the suspicions of the rest of us: battles of the bands are losing propositions. I'm proud to say that although I have played the sleaziest bar gigs imaginable, I have never play a "battle of the bands".

I have, however; been dragged into various situations where the band had to "share the stage" with some other entity. It never works out well. Sometimes you sit for HOURS as an auction takes place in the middle of your gig. Or... sometimes it's 30 minutes of tributes to some person who died. Or sometimes it's a stupid dance act. Yeah... I've been in that situation, and it's never good.

Nowadays, pain has made me wiser. I will play sleazy venues for money. I will play charity gigs for free. I will NOT play "battles of the bands" or "bring your own crowd" or "sell tickets to our event" type of gigs. No thanks. Not for me.

However... Being the consummate team player that I am, I WOULD play a really crappy "battle of the bands" or similar event if the rest of the band insisted on it. Fortunately, I haven't ever been caught in that situation. Our lead guy is wise. He's not gonna lead us astray.
Another story. We got booked to play the awards dinner for the local volunteer fire department. We played a very MOR first set, then had dinner and had to sit through the boring awards ceremony, the gratuitous testimonials, etc, for about 90 minutes, and then, the emcee said, "The band is coming back for dancing and other tomfoolery, so enjoy yourselves."

With that, we want back on playing dance rock, and almost everybody put on their coats and walked out. The emcee had told us earlier that they would tip us, and that didn't happen. What a waste of time. He's now a town councilman. Next time, I'll vote against him.

Last edited:
I did a Battle Of The fans contest in the 90s for exposure. We had 1 original. We were supposed to have 3. I had nothing to do with any band management.

'Everybody left' triggers a funny Summer memory. We did a Harley ride, completing 1 set when it was announced that the caterer just canceled because they couldn't get anyone to show up to work. All the hungry bikers left early in the 2nd set. So we packed up and left with full pay.

Another story. We got booked to play the awards dinner for the local volunteer fire department. We played a very MOR first set, then had dinner and had to sit through the boring awards ceremony, the gratuitous testimonials, etc, for about 90 minutes, and then, the emcee said, "The band is coming back for dancing and other tomfoolery, so enjoy yourselves."

With that, we want back on playing dance rock, and almost everybody put on their coats and walked out. The emcee had told us earlier that they would tip us, and that didn't happen. What waste of time. He's now a town councilman. Next time, I'll vote against him.

Another excellent tale of woe! I salute you Sir, and have been in your shoes.

As a 30-year US Army veteran, I saw my share of boring awards ceremonies. Some of them can literally suck the life out of the room. When you're done listening to 90 minutes of drivel, all your patience has been exhausted. All you want to do is to go home.

It wasn't your band that caused the mass audience migration. It was the awards ceremony. Don't doubt me on this one! :)

I believe you, and thanks for the kind words. Just to show it wasn't a total loss, we did get paid at the end of the night.

Last edited:
That does actually sound like fun! Show up and run some chill shuffles all night without any load in/load out, chat with some cool people, grab a free drink. I totally would have done the same thing.

There were some fun luminaries that would show up, sometimes to play, sometimes just to hang. Clem Burke, Doug Fieger, Carla Olson (Textones), Gary Myrick (She Talks In Stereo hit from '80s), Michelle Shocked, Fred Willard(!) Just a fun hang. I always played there with Rip Masters who would find out what the other bands were playing and choose different, sometimes obscure Elvis songs. "Apron Strings" for example.

Last one I did was 2019.

Back