Wonderfully Tuned Drums

"wonderfully tuned"? Cranked is what I'd suggest.
Is nice to hear SC in his younger years punching out tunes with hardware that was likely used in the recordings. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠ツ⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Watching that, I couldn't help but feel that Stewart was expending an awful lot of energy reaching for cymbals, and even a vocal mic' that were too high. How can you sing comfortably into a mic' that's six inches or more above your head? That would never work for me. Lots of wasted movement.

Steve Jordan was one of the first guys who started that "cymbals out of reach" thing, when he was playing on the Letterman show. He has since brought them down to a sensible level. Anton Fig also kept his cymbals way up there. Perhaps the producers thought it looked better on TV.

Of course, to each his own.

Reactions: I-P
Watching that, I couldn't help but feel that Stewart was expending an awful lot of energy reaching for cymbals, and even a vocal mic' that were too high. How can you sing comfortably into a mic' that's six inches or more above your head? That would never work for me. Lots of wasted movement.

Steve Jordan was one of the first guys who started that "cymbals out of reach" thing, when he was playing on the Letterman show. He has since brought them down to a sensible level. Anton Fig also kept his cymbals way up there. Perhaps the producers thought it looked better on TV.

Some drummers do think it looks better. Some drummers just want to make bleed less of an issue.

He looks great though doesn’t he? :D (y)

That's such a great point. Jordan was actually the person who got me to put my cymbals close to me. I watched his DVD and saw how close and compact everything was and it was like a lightbulb went on in my head. "Hey, I bet that's really efficient and easy to play!" And his drums sounded great, too!

That's such a great point. Jordan was actually the person who got me to put my cymbals close to me. I watched his DVD and saw how close and compact everything was and it was like a lightbulb went on in my head. "Hey, I bet that's really efficient and easy to play!" And his drums sounded great, too!

I love Steve's playing. The guy is Mr. Groove Pocket. Just killer.

I saw this when I was a kid and that made me a huge Stewart fan! Just as I got older emulating him, I learned how much that super-tight sound didn’t work with bands I was playing with back then. It made me too far outside the box for a lot of people 😉

Back