Why Foo Fighters Fans Are Already Upset with New Drummer Josh Freese

Hope they try out something new and let FF stew for a while. Would like to see what that looks like.

Hope they try out something new and let FF stew for a while. Would like to see what that looks like.
They’ve done that their entire existence. Most of them have side projects. Dave has had several.

I took the comment as let Josh bet a creative partner in album writing rather than playing someone else’s drum part. Agreed, that would be interesting.

I took the comment as let Josh bet a creative partner in album writing rather than playing someone else’s drum part. Agreed, that would be interesting.
You may be right. It’ll happen. Dave did this new album because it was highly personal to him.

I watched them playing at Glastonbury (on TV). The band seemed to be super upbeat, happy on stage. I thought the drumming was overall superb, couldn't be bettered.
I'm not a fan of that type of music and only stuck with it to check out Josh in the context of these criticisms. I thought he was absolutely fantastic, tasteful, rock solid, exciting.

Does anyone think that any negative point of view may be slightly misguided by the SOUND Josh gets versus Taylor's?. Sometimes as I look back on my own views it somehow just dawned on me that I've been a bit negative but why?..it hit me that Josh is fine..for me I miss Taylor's more aggressive recorded TONE. One can misconstrue that as a playing negative without seeing things from every angle. Know what I mean?.

Personally I think anyone critial of Josh can't actually point to his playing, gear, sound, behind/ahead of the beat or any of the other excuses I have read.

It just comes down to Taylor was a huge personality. His personality came through live and on record. The chemistry between Dave and Taylor was incredible. They way Taylor could come out front and sing while Dave played drums, and back and forth, and share ideas in the studio. They had a magical bond. There is a reason so many Foos interviews featured Taylor sitting next to Dave without the rest of the band.

And that is now gone. Josh is an incredible drummer and friend of Dave's. He can play all the parts, but he's not the same personality.

And that is what the fans actually miss.

Was that the critique? Too fast and too hard?
wait that's how Grohl chomps guitar
Ka-Ka-Ka . ka-ka-ka
See? I know Foo Fighters
Ka-Ka-ka, Ka-ka-ka.

I liked listening to the song The Teacher.
That's how I'll remember them by.

They're, *air quotes* Foo Fighters fans.
Do we expect common sense?!

kidding, lol. Kidding.

Then they should say they miss the 'personality', not claim Josh plays the songs too fast or too hard.

The issue is no one can quantify "personality". It can be measured. Not in music, not in sports.

And since it can't be measured, or quantified, people look for other qualities to hang on to.

Does anyone think that any negative point of view may be slightly misguided by the SOUND Josh gets versus Taylor's?. Sometimes as I look back on my own views it somehow just dawned on me that I've been a bit negative but why?..it hit me that Josh is fine..for me I miss Taylor's more aggressive recorded TONE. One can misconstrue that as a playing negative without seeing things from every angle. Know what I mean?.
I saw Taylor backing Alanis Morissette at a club in Boston just as Jagged Little Pill was breaking. It must have been a warm up gig before the big tour and maybe one of his first shows with her. Taylor was raw and aggressive...maybe getting close to frantic at the start of the show. After a couple of songs he settled in nicely while still keeping an aggressive edge. Alanis was as intense as Taylor, I left the show wondering how she didn't spontaneously combust on stage. Incredible show.

To me any guy who names his album The Notorious One Man Orgy has a hell of a personality. Josh Freese is punk enough to not care what anyone says. He's bringing energy to a band that was getting really lame, that's why the band is so damn happy.

Back