Where is Rikki going?

I don't care. I like Paiste.. here's the thing I'd rather choose my own gear , I don't need famous people..
I heard this sound on recordings and only assumed....that Paice..Bonham..Palmer..etc played Zildjian..never heard of Paiste until I saw a Paiste profiles orange booklet and then realized why I couldn't get that sound with Zildjians. Years go by and I see these red label 2002's in a local music store and lightly crashed a few. The sound id heard on recordings was right in front of me and my entire world turned upside down. IF....at that time every Paiste endorser left to play Zildjian Sabian etc I'd be a Paiste player on an island by myself. They just showed me the way..not that I purchased them because they played them. I'm still in awe when I hear what they've come up with next. Forget every endorser..ill be a Paiste player until death..they are that beautiful.

There was reference to the 'ring forever' DW floor tom and giving sound check issues for quick sound checks. Not the first time this has been mentioned. So looks like the Hybrid Oak uses the as the Tour maples, thought the Stage Custom used same Absolute lug but it is different.

There was reference to the 'ring forever' DW floor tom and giving sound check issues for quick sound checks. Not the first time this has been mentioned. So looks like the Hybrid Oak uses the as the Tour maples, thought the Stage Custom used same Absolute lug but it is different.
But he doesn't mention short/fast floor toms
only the old 14x14 and 16x16 sizes. Might he have tried a 12X14 and had a different thought +/-
towards the DW or anything (brand) else.
Complaining about a 14X14 floor tom is "so Gene Krupa era' ; ) Sonny Payne -era
quick switch to 11X14 or 12X14 could have just solved it.
now he has a 13" deep 14
so maybe he's getting closer w/o realizing.

Last edited:
I heard this sound on recordings and only assumed....that Paice..Bonham..Palmer..etc played Zildjian..never heard of Paiste until I saw a Paiste profiles orange booklet and then realized why I couldn't get that sound with Zildjians. Years go by and I see these red label 2002's in a local music store and lightly crashed a few. The sound id heard on recordings was right in front of me and my entire world turned upside down. IF....at that time every Paiste endorser left to play Zildjian Sabian etc I'd be a Paiste player on an island by myself. They just showed me the way..not that I purchased them because they played them. I'm still in awe when I hear what they've come up with next. Forget every endorser..ill be a Paiste player until death..they are that beautiful.
Boze, I'm no expert but I know what I like. I'm a 602 guy, in saying that I have Keropes and K cons. And assorted others. While I like them and I can't speak for all the models and lines made by every company the one thing I have tuned into is the pitching . Paiste that I enjoy seem to be in a higher pitch than the Zils. Maybe that pitch is the one that resonates with my senses and the others don't , not sure but I do hear / feel the difference.

Just watched the video and a couple of things stand out. He made a comment about how his old kit had personality but were difficult to tune. My flaw with Yamaha is that they have zero personality. They all sound neutral. Why anyone would spend thousands on a Yamaha drum set when their $300 drum sets sound just as neutral and without personality? I don’t get it. I will say Yamaha drums are very well made and quite reliable. Kudos to them for those aspects. Unfortunately, they simply don’t have anything that makes them SOUND unique.

The second thing that stands out is these drums sound “cold” and attack heavy. This kit would absolutely not work for me. Obviously, he thinks they are great, so more power to him. If I’m going to have such an attack heavy sound, I might as well use triggers. That would absolutely give me a consistent sound.

The third thing that stands out is Rikki has done a fantastic job of building hype and interest. I mean, I am not a fan of Poison or really of DW, but here I am watching this video and posting about it. I won’t listen to his band, but he has boosted his YouTube viewership, so he knows how to work the system.

Just watched the video and a couple of things stand out. He made a comment about how his old kit had personality but were difficult to tune. My flaw with Yamaha is that they have zero personality. They all sound neutral. Why anyone would spend thousands on a Yamaha drum set when their $300 drum sets sound just as neutral and without personality? I don’t get it. I will say Yamaha drums are very well made and quite reliable. Kudos to them for those aspects. Unfortunately, they simply don’t have anything that makes them SOUND unique.

The second thing that stands out is these drums sound “cold” and attack heavy. This kit would absolutely not work for me. Obviously, he thinks they are great, so more power to him. If I’m going to have such an attack heavy sound, I might as well use triggers. That would absolutely give me a consistent sound.

The third thing that stands out is Rikki has done a fantastic job of building hype and interest. I mean, I am not a fan of Poison or really of DW, but here I am watching this video and posting about it. I won’t listen to his band, but he has boosted his YouTube viewership, so he knows how to work the system.
Got asked a few posts back why I don't appreciate the finer points , " a ridiculous take " someone said. I agree here with your assessment to me they lack atmosphere. That's my take , nothing against the brand . hey they build motorcycles with tuning forks on them . gotta love that.

Don't get me started on Yamaha Chunkaway 😠 BUT..have you heard Keith Carlock on his Yamaha Phoenix kit..whoa. I can't even bring myself to say it.

It will be an interesting move because Rikki had his own drum company before going to DW, and also it's extremely rare that an artist leaves DW. I can only think of Jason Bonham, who left DW for Ludwig... then went back!

Similar parallel - there was Jimmy Chamberlin who left Yamaha for DW and then went back! :D

Similar parallel - there was Jimmy Chamberlin who left Yamaha for DW and then went back! :D
He left Yamaha for Sakae drums, when they went bankrupt he chose DW for a while.
(As mentioned in post #29).

Don't get me started on Yamaha Chunkaway 😠 BUT..have you heard Keith Carlock on his Yamaha Phoenix kit..whoa. I can't even bring myself to say it.
I have not, but I’ll check it out. The PHX line is definitely a different beast, but then…so is the price.

I have a DW Collector’s series SSC maple and a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid maple… i love both but my Yammi is far better than my DW!! Better sounds, better finish, better tuning range (and very important point for me, keep the tuning very well)!! Sounds of Yammi AHM are not neutral… they are just clean like they were equalized in recording studio!

I have a DW Collector’s series SSC maple and a Yamaha Absolute Hybrid maple… i love both but my Yammi is far better than my DW!! Better sounds, better finish, better tuning range (and very important point for me, keep the tuning very well)!! Sounds of Yammi AHM are not neutral… they are just clean like they were equalized in recording studio!
Again, I’m not a fan of DW drums. I know they make a quality drum, but they aren’t my sound. However, they do seem to have a unique voice, which I appreciate.

My favorite drummer, Steve Jordan, uses Yamaha drums, so I want to like them. However, every time I have played a set - regardless of the line (have not played the PHX line) - I was struck by how little personality and how little of a unique voice they have. I could be playing a maple Pearl or a maple Tama or whatever. In my opinion, drums that have a unique voice - Gretsch Customs, Ludwig Classic Maples, Sonor, etc…- are much more interesting to play. As such, my favorite clips of Steve Jordan are when he is using his vintage kits or his Club Custom set RIP.

Back