What's your favorite thing about being a drummer?

In the bigger picture; being an introvert in every other aspect of my life, having such a creative outlet that also "speak" to other people in a strong and meaningful way, it has helped me a lot with becoming more sociable as well.
Same here...you said it much better than I tried to an hour ago, so I bailed on the reply, but it is the perfect place for an introvert to "hide", and come out their shell every once in a while.
I'm in the same boat. I'm at a level on the instrument where I can just "take care of business", no matter the style. And the less preparation, the more propensity I have to just take charge and shape the tune and it's sound, without me consciously thinking about doing that.
Its one of the few things in my life where I exude a natural confidence in my abilities that people pick up on. The fact that it's at least dozens, usually hundreds and in the past even thousands of people, that are picking up on it, makes it all the more rewarding.
That's until people come up to me afterwards to congratulate me on performances, at which point I clam up again and end up saying a meek 'thank you'.

The fact that I have been doing this since the 5th grade and nothing else even touches my soul like drumming and music. Everything else is just filler.

same. and for me it has been since 1st grade and before. Dad was a drummer, so I always had it going on in the house, and I knew from the first time i played that it was going to be my career somehow

and it has been!!

My Favorite Thing about being a "Player of Drums" (I would define being a Drummer by one's ability to play with other musicians to play a tune together, when I can achieve that I will change my label to a Drummer) is that Drums allow me to express the beat that's in me. In 1966, at 15 years old, the British Invasion had an immediate Impact on me. Realizing from the get-go, that I wouldn't be able to play guitar, I gravitated to drumming - I could "feel" it. Being to play drums ( I couldn't wait for the time I could actually play on a Kit after weeks of lessons), made me proud that I could play an instrument. I knew it.....always beating on tables, dashboards, etc. Then taking a 50-year Hiatus in 1969, returning to playing Drums in 2019, I am again elated in retirement - even if for now anyway, it's solely as a recreational Player at Home. When I play tunes at home that I can handle and play along to (and improvise additional fills for) gives me a pleasure that only few people can attain!!

I love Chinese food and even that is covered with tasty and spicy sounding Chinese cymbals

pol_pl_Paiste-2002-Novo-China-20-6495_1.jpg

Justice . The geeks who squealed on me in grade six can barely do one limb independence . I can do four .

when I was in high school, if you said you were in band, you got pounded

if you said you were in the drumline, you were cool...sort of

when I was in high school, if you said you were in band, you got pounded

if you said you were in the drumline, you were cool...sort of
I'm sorry to hear that . Things weren't like that around here . Being in a band opened the door to Aladdin's Cave , the Keys to the Kingdom of pleasant experiences .

I'm seventy .

Last edited:
Someone else mentioned electricity already but yeah: I can play even when the power goes out. I was able to entertain myself even in the dark during a recent multi day blackout. I was able to entertain the audience during several different instances of the stage power going out, or problems with the PA. I can play literally anywhere and be heard.

the most therapeutic instrument i think. great for crazy people like myself
I kinda disagree..... I think if you play any instrument, you wouldn't be Lazy... Playing drums for an hour or two, negates the lazy theory. LOL. Maybe if you sat down and played a harmonica, that might be classified as "lazy"...

Back