What's your favorite thing about being a drummer?

Aesthetically........drums are just outstanding on stage.

It's like sitting behind some over engineered weapon of mass destruction.

A beat sinks deeper into one's primordial soul that other instruments just can't tap into.

Drummers are rare, we belong to a very, very small cohort on a global scale.

Drumming is a rare skill.

There is a herculean degree of physiological and psychological discipline with drumming.

To the OP.......I hope your chops feel better soon.

Being sick is just awful.
For actual depth of reason.. ..this.

While I was reading it the Mission Impossible theme started running through my head..

1. Drums are a physical, visceral, full body instrument. No instrument is as purely physical.
2. The drums are indispensable for most kinds of modern music, which makes you the focal point of the band visually and sonically.
3. The drums are easily the most customizable instrument out there. You can make your own, purely unique version.
4. They are really approachable and the general concepts are very accessible.
5. Drums are just cool.

There's downsides, too, of course...

In the bigger picture; being an introvert in every other aspect of my life, having such a creative outlet that also "speak" to other people in a strong and meaningful way, it has helped me a lot with becoming more sociable as well. Both with bandmates and networking in general, it forces me out of my comfort zone, which I feel that I need. I always dreamed about playing on bigger stages as well and just be a part of it, now I'm suddenly there. And it just feels awesome.

I also enjoy to geek out over drum equipment, and when it's also tools for doing my craft it just feels better. In comparison, being a collector of some stuff you dont really have any practical use for, seems to me a much more shallow hobby. To each their own though.

And as someone else mentioned, just being able to play rythms you have in your head, get it out there. And seeing the reaction in others to it.

My favourite part is when you’re seemingly playing without thought and the band is firing on all cylinders…everything seems right with the universe!! 🤔 :D(y)

And at a gig you look at the people watching and see that they're grooving and realize that your band is on point.

My favourite part is when you’re seemingly playing without thought and the band is firing on all cylinders…everything seems right with the universe!! 🤔 :D(y)
Oddly, this is the same when rowing (crew, on the Thames) and everyone is in sync. A little bit of heaven.

The privilege of seeing through the largest microscope in the universe...time.

Last edited:
Aesthetically........drums are just outstanding on stage.

It's like sitting behind some over engineered weapon of mass destruction.

A beat sinks deeper into one's primordial soul that other instruments just can't tap into.

Drummers are rare, we belong to a very, very small cohort on a global scale.

Drumming is a rare skill.

There is a herculean degree of physiological and psychological discipline with drumming.

To the OP.......I hope your chops feel better soon.

Being sick is just awful.
Primordial soul. cavedrummer.png

Avedis Zildjian
Fred Gretsch
Bud Slingerland

name em

In the bigger picture; being an introvert in every other aspect of my life, having such a creative outlet that also "speak" to other people in a strong and meaningful way, it has helped me a lot with becoming more sociable as well. Both with bandmates and networking in general, it forces me out of my comfort zone, which I feel that I need. I always dreamed about playing on bigger stages as well and just be a part of it, now I'm suddenly there. And it just feels awesome.

I also enjoy to geek out over drum equipment, and when it's also tools for doing my craft it just feels better. In comparison, being a collector of some stuff you dont really have any practical use for, seems to me a much more shallow hobby. To each their own though.

And as someone else mentioned, just being able to play rythms you have in your head, get it out there. And seeing the reaction in others to it.

same here...you said it much better than I tried to an hour ago, so I bailed on the reply, but it is the perfect place for an introvert to "hide", and come out their shell every once in a while.

I like the sound of drums, and people like it when I hit things with sticks. Peace and goodwill.

Back