Whatcha Reading Right Now?

I just finished "the righteous mind" by Jonathan Haidt and it was awesome. Its a great read to see how and why people think the way they do

Just finished A Little Devil in America by Hanif Abdurraqib and was blown away. It's sort of a series of essay-like reflections on life through the lens of brief historical accounts of various Black performers and also an semi-autobiographical account of the author's own life. It was honest and fascinating. He's also a well respected poet so the writing is amazing.

Just opened The Inner Game of Music by Barry Green & Timothy Gallwey as well as the first entry of the Broken Earth Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin. I've settled on always working on a fiction and a non-fiction at the same time.

yeah...I also do fiction and non fiction at the same time

my current non fiction is the biography of Pope John Paul II

will start next fiction after marching band season is over

yeah...I also do fiction and non fiction at the same time

my current non fiction is the biography of Pope John Paul II

will start next fiction after marching band season is over
I've really enjoyed the balance of that method. And the boundary of only two books keeps me from starting too many at once (got out of hand for a second there lol).

I bet that book is fascinating! I went down a rabbit hole once because something about his assassination attempts got shared to reddit. As a non-Catholic I sometimes forget that the Pope exists, and the idea that theres still this leadership role in existence that has stuck around since the 8th century is almost surreal.

I've really enjoyed the balance of that method. And the boundary of only two books keeps me from starting too many at once (got out of hand for a second there lol).

yeah...I know a lot of people who are reading 3 or 4 books at a time. I don't know how they keep them straight
I bet that book is fascinating! I went down a rabbit hole once because something about his assassination attempts got shared to reddit. As a non-Catholic I sometimes forget that the Pope exists, and the idea that theres still this leadership role in existence that has stuck around since the 8th century is almost surreal.

he is my wifes grand-uncle (her dads uncle), so that naturally fascinated me as well. I am also not Catholic, but have been teaching in Catholic schools for 30 years, so i know a lot about it...more than a lot of the Catholics that I deal with.

what he went through living through pre WW 2 Poland, and as the Nazi's took over all the way through all of the Berlin Wall is crazy....he had, like 5 or 6 doctorates....was a super brilliant guy; also super humble

Only a handful of chapters into this, but so far it's (not surprisingly) fascinating...and you can already see the seeds being planted for this brilliant band's ugly demise, even though John Fogerty hasn't yet been drafted:

images

Only a few chapters in, but not a traditional biography or history of the band:

9780306826429-1.jpg

A leading music journalist’s riveting chronicle of how beloved band Pearl Jam shaped the times, and how their legacy and longevity have transcended generations.
Ever since Pearl Jam first blasted onto the Seattle grunge scene three decades ago with their debut album, Ten, they have sold 85M+ albums, performed for hundreds of thousands of fans around the world, and have even been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. In Long Road: Pearl Jam and the Soundtrack Of A Generation, music critic and journalist Steven Hyden celebrates the life, career, and music of this legendary group, widely considered to be one of the greatest American rock bands of all time. Long Road is structured like a mix tape, using 18 different Pearl Jam classics as starting points for telling a mix of personal and universal stories. Each chapter tells the tale of this great band — how they got to where they are, what drove them to greatness, and why it matters now.

I recently finished King's X: The Oral History and Destination Onward: The Story of Fates Warning. Both excellent books and highly recommended if you're fans of either band, of course. Currently reading (or re-reading) Zen Golf.

I'm reading the 70's underground comic books, "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers" from Rip Off press, by Gilbert Shelton.

Also the "Tao Te Ching" by Lao Tzu
I read those both when I was 19ish, it's like you're me, but less handsome. ;)

I think the enduring lesson from the FFFB is that dope will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times on no dope.

I haven't actually read anything outside a drum lesson book in a decade or two. I should crack open some Asimov and see if reading takes hold again.

I recently finished King's X: The Oral History and Destination Onward: The Story of Fates Warning. Both excellent books and highly recommended if you're fans of either band, of course. Currently reading (or re-reading) Zen Golf.

oh man...the Fates Warning book is next up on my list, but did not know about the Kings X book...will be purchasing that this weekend!!

I hit pause on The Inner Game of Music to read Your Brain is a Time Machine by Dean Buanomano. Been obsessed with the history, neuroscience, philosophy, psychology, and musicology of time lately and was able to snag a copy of it from the library.

I also just finished The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin, part of her Broken Earth Trilogy. She's heavily influenced by Octavia Butler whom is one of my favorite AfroFuturism and SciFi/Fantasy Authors and can't wait to crack into book two. If the quality stays where it's at it'll definitely be in my top tier fantasy/scifi favs along with Wheel of Time, Stormlight Archive, and The Green Bone Saga. Her writing style is like nothing I've read before in the genre.

I've always wondered why Satanists aren't called Luciferians. There is even a Lucifer OG strain of the Devil's weed that must support my posit. Ya mon.

Back