Whatcha Reading Right Now?

Too Late to Stop Now . - Alan Jones

More Rock n Roll war stories . Jones could make radish farming entertaining . His interviews with Brian Ferry, Ian Anderson and The Fabulous Thunderbirds are hilarious .

5 stars

Any Sci-Fi fans? I just finished re-reading two series, Steve Perry's "Matador" series ("The Man who Never Missed" remains one of my favorite books ever), and the "Old Man's War" series by John Scalzi. That was about 20 books between them depending on how you count the various interstitials and addendums and whatnot, and I was thinking about starting a new series. I had watched the first couple of seasons of "The Expanse" and enjoyed it but I lost interest between seasons and never started watching again. However, I kept hearing that the books that the series is based on are much better than the show. I went online and ordered the first book in the series, "Leviathan Wakes," and saw that it would be about two weeks before it would be delivered from a used book store out of state. And so the wait began.

I first read the classic "Lucifer's Hammer" when it came out in 1977, and again a few years later, and it's been sitting on one of my book shelves ever since. I kept glancing at it in passing, and finally figured that since I still had over a week before the new book showed up, I could take a whack at it again. I took it and an iced coffee out back, lit up a stogey, and settled in. 600-plus pages of Sci-Fi apocalyptic soap opera doom and gloom, with specific themes and tropes heavily referenced later in "The Postman," "The Road," and "One Second After." This thing is so dense that it actually begins with a listing of dramatis personae so that the reader can keep track of who is befriending/fighting/supplying/stalking/back-stabbing/robbing/saving/betraying/cannibalizing whom. Written smack-dab in the middle of the Cold War, it's for sure dated and a bit of a slog, with some of the dialogue being comically bad, but after only 30 pages I was once again hooked. And then the doorbell rang, and it was "Leviathan Wakes" being delivered.

220px-TheManWhoNeverMissed.jpg
Old Man's War (Old Man's War, 1): 9780765315243: Scalzi, John: Books

Lucifer's Hammer [Book]
220px-Leviathan_Wakes.jpg

Geddy Lee's "My Effin Life" is on the docket for summer break

In 1968 after a decade of creation it took one only year to destroy, which lead to the largest bankruptcy in U.S. history at the time.
A case study of what can go wrong with truly bad business practices and government.

714ctAi6JWL._SY466_.jpg

Last edited:
Drums and Demons - Joel Selvin .

Brought home a copy of this from the library . With increasing substance abuse, Gordon's psychotic episodes grew exponentially , his formidable musical gifts became a liability .

Jim Morrison and countless others also fell . 60's - 70's California is a gift that keeps on giving to journalists like Selvin who evidently have made careers chronicling it .

Last edited:
After watching "Reacher" on Prime, I picked up the book series by Lee Child on my Kindle. Mindless action thrillers, my guilty pleasure.

I also picked up e-copies of Syncopation and Stick Control and rigged up a tablet for my practice space.

I got hooked on the Reacher stuff too. So prolific that I wonder if some of them were ghost written.
Easy, quick reading, packed with action. Get sucked in right from the start.
I've read about a half dozen of them so far.

I read - once again - True Tales of American Life.
Paul Auster sadly passed away recently, he was one of my favourite author, I haven't read from him since a long time after dicovering his work in the nineties, with City of Glass, Moon Palace, Music of Chance, Vertigo,... so many good books I shall take time to re-read.

51POzx6xTXL._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_.jpg

I’m re-reading a few of Stephen Kings books (I’m huge fan of his writing)

Recently finished The Stand and have since started Misery. About a quarter way into that one.

Found an issue recently where I discovered that I’d read nearly every major novel by him* (60+ books) with only a handful more to read, so I’ve started to re-read some I last read back in the 1990’s

*just got to complete the Dark Tower series and then I’ve read them all.
I love his earlier classics, but I’ve been reading some of his more recent work. I read 11/22/63 a few weeks ago. It was pretty cool and imaginative… I like time travel stories. Also Fairy Tale was surprisingly good too.

I found Daltrey's autobiography compelling. When I read Pete Townsend's autobiography, he didn't write much about Keith Moon and how his playing affected the band, nor did he indicate whether or not he tried to help Moon and his addictions. On the other hand, Daltrey did try to help Moon with his problems on multiple occasions, and knew exactly what Keith's drumming brought to the band.

Thanks-a-Lot-Mr-Kibblewhite-My-Story.jpg

Back