What are you listening to right now?

You wouldn't know it from this video, but this was one of the most innovative drummers of the 20th Century:

He ended his career by DISCARDING kick drum altogether.

this was the albu m du jour for the past 2 days

Today's afternoon jazz for 6-9-2022 is Jimmy Greene - Mission Statement, featuring the great Eric Harland on drums. Peace and goodwill.

Could listen to this version now stop when growing up. Still remember watching the VHS tape and imagining playing this live for that crows. I was only 2 months at the time this was recorded, but this song introduced me to;

* Long songs
* The semi drum solo around 7:12. Took me ages to learn this part since it wasn't in typical 4/4
* Dynamics as a drummer (starting 10:25)
* Crash riding and cymbal chokes
* Big rock ending 15:10
* China heaven 16:38

The 8 year old drummer in me still wants this setup, but sadly details are lost in time :)

Today's afternoon jazz is by the Jimmy Greene Quartet, featuring Gregory Hutchinson on drums - Live at Smalls. Peace and goodwill.

Could listen to this version now stop when growing up. Still remember watching the VHS tape and imagining playing this live for that crows. I was only 2 months at the time this was recorded, but this song introduced me to;

* Long songs
* The semi drum solo around 7:12. Took me ages to learn this part since it wasn't in typical 4/4
* Dynamics as a drummer (starting 10:25)
* Crash riding and cymbal chokes
* Big rock ending 15:10
* China heaven 16:38

The 8 year old drummer in me still wants this setup, but sadly details are lost in time :)
Pretty neat how they transform it into a shuffle right in the middle of the guitar solo at 5:20 (y)

• Like!!
Reactions: iCe
Boston - More Than A Feeling

I'm in a classic rock mood, previously to this was Journey, ol' Steve Smith.

What are you listening to?
Wait for the second half, it’s inspirational

The afternoon jazz for 6/18/2022 is by Eric Reed - Manhattan Melodies with the excellent Gregory Hutchinson on drums. Peace and goodwill.

Back