Vintage 1960's Pearl Sparkle Blue kit - value thoughts?

SomeBadDrummer

Platinum Member
1695846937801.png1695846974042.png
1695847004666.png
1695847047014.png
1695847019527.png
Hello everyone!

I have a vintage 1960's Pearl kit with original blue sparkle wrap, and mostly original hardware (including ancient HH and camco BP). I own another kit and am thinking about selling this one which I picked up on impulse a few years ago at a local music store the day after they put it on the floor. It's really a cool kit in good overall condition, and could be used in a small gig setting tonight with an update highhat and base pedal.

Any thoughts on the value of this kit with just the shell pack and snare would be appreciated, there are very few to compare online...

*Been away from this awesome site for a bit, recently sold a house, moved into temp quarters and now renovating the new/old house. I miss all of the interaction with everyone.

Last edited:
Well, geographic location can have a measurable effect with differences in pricing, so I can only speak from where I live.
Given that, I'd put it at about $500-$600.
When you say there's a "Camco pedal" that goes with it, are you referring to an actual Camco BD pedal, a Camco by Tama chain drive BD pedal, or the Camco by Tama HH pedal I can see in the back of that second pic?

Last edited:
Hey @Elvis that's a great observation and question. I think your pricing is probably right but will take a vintage buyer in the metro Atlanta area b/c I'm not shipping lol.

Here's a driver's seat photo of the pedals, it is a Camco HH and Speed Pedal BD pedal. I had an IC setup for playing purposes and a much newer HH stand. Not sure if either pedal is original equipment...
1695849573071.png

I'd also say $500-$600 with hardware. These drums were made at a time when Pearl was starting to make higher quality drums. I have a Black Diamond Pearl snare from this period, and it sounds great. Shipping a drumset is not hard; it's just tedious, because you have to nest drums inside each other and pack them well. It's also expensive to ship drums these days with rates the way they are.

holy crap...

if i had not just redone our first floor floors and upstairs bathroom, I would be in my car on the way to Atlanta RIGHT NOW!!! That is a sweet set!!! Damn home repairs....

Hey @Elvis that's a great observation and question. I think your pricing is probably right but will take a vintage buyer in the metro Atlanta area b/c I'm not shipping lol.

Here's a driver's seat photo of the pedals, it is a Camco HH and Speed Pedal BD pedal. I had an IC setup for playing purposes and a much newer HH stand. Not sure if either pedal is original equipment...
Speed Pedal is original equipment, Camco Hi-Hat, definitely not (Camco was USA made). Are you including the hi-hat stand? You don't see many of those. You may want to consider selling that separately.

Those are in great shape. I have sold several MIJ sets like yours over the last year, and in my market (Cincinnati) I would only get around $250-$300 for 4-piece kits including the snare. So I would ask $500 but I'd take less; otherwise you might be sitting on them for a while. Sorry to say, but the used market is very unpredictable. I thought for sure my stuff would go for more than it did, but 'twas not to be.

Looks like 12/13/16/22? If so, those would be fairly easy to ship. The 13" fully assembled fits inside the 16" and the 16" fully assembled fits inside the bass drum. You could always get a separate box for the snare and 12".

1695897310269.png
Hey!
I had one of those Speed Pedals on my first drumkit!
That was actually a decent pedal, but I worried that the leather strap would eventually break (the pin that held that strap was the most spindly thing I've ever seen!), and I wanted bigger drums (bigger is better, right? It's The Amercian Way! :LOL:), so I sold the kit.
That hat pedal is the real deal. Probably 1950's or 1960's vintage. Camco actually made, those, you know. They were a hardware manufaturer (like Wauberg & Auge) before they started building drums. In fact, they built the Floating Action BD pedal for Gretsch. That's where the Camco pedal originally came from. Same thing, only a different script on the footboard.
That's pretty cool that you got the hat pedal. Don't see many of those.
I recently found out the Speed Pedal was actually offered by Pearl in the 1960's, so its of the correct time frame and make for your kit. Unless you picked up that Speed Pedal in another sale, chances are it probably came with that kit to whomever bought it when it was new.

Last edited:
Selling "locally" thru something like craigslist will probably get you less money than going to a dedicated Pearl drum (ex. Facebook "vintage Pearl Drums Enthusiasts) might get you more money by targeting a more specific buyer.

Message me. I'm interested in them.
Hi @Lennytoons! apologies for the delay, I'm juggling a lot of plates at the moment...

Let me know what you had in mind, I can send you more photos if you provide me with an email address.

Thanks!

Back