Uh oh...the drummer walks in.

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Anyone ever had this happen?. I'm over visiting musician friends . We are down the basement where drums are set up. The guitar player wants to jam for a minute and tells me it's cool to sit at the kit. I said no..dont want any part of it. They keep telling me to sit and jam for a tune..I thought ok..hurry. Well?..the drummer frikkin walks down...F!..he didn't say much..what am I going to say?. talk about extremely uncomfortable. It ended up ok but what if it didn't. Have ANY of you EVER had this happen. My gut instinct was right. This was years ago but that event went through my mind today for some reason.

I don't touch (or even sit behind) other drummers' kits unless the owners of those kits invite me to do so. And never would I request that privilege. Unsolicited invitation is the only way I'd do it. Even then, I might politely decline, depending on the context. I'm always hesitant to impose myself upon someone else's domain.

Well ...... Definite no-no if it's HIS kit, and no one asked if it was OK for you to play HIS kit. If it's NOT his kit, then he really doesn't have much of a say in the matter.

Shoe on the other foot ...... I would never let another musician play thru a band mates amps ..... or use their guitars/basses/keys. The equipment I own, sure ....... someone else's, no way. Respect for others stuff.

I wonder if there's some subtext that's missing here.

Based on what you wrote, I wouldn't worry about it. At all. It isn't like you ran in and said "ooh goody a drumset! Let me show you all my chops now!" You were invited to play, and I think your resistance AND eventually playing were respectful to both the guitarist and the drummer.

I don't touch (or even sit behind) other drummers' kits unless the owners of those kits invite me to do so. And never would I request that privilege. Unsolicited invitation is the only way I'd do it. Even then, I might politely decline, depending on the context. I'm always hesitant to impose myself upon someone else's domain.
You sir are the master of your domain.

1630963137951.png

I am happy to share my kit with anyone who asks. If you dont ask, you might end up in the kick as muffling.

Same goes for me. Unless the kits owner gives me the greenlight, I wont touch it. Any instrument actually.

Yes, almost every time I have sat in on on other’s kit it’s been very much less than enjoyable, and occasionally miserable.

One should only drink from their own watering hole.

I am happy to share my kit with anyone who asks. If you dont ask, you might end up in the kick as muffling.

Same goes for me. Unless the kits owner gives me the greenlight, I wont touch it. Any instrument actually.
My initial feelings 100%. It wasn't my kit (obviously) and refused to intrude on anothers domain. It was the insistent..c'mon it's cool..that made me eat the apple in the garden when I knew that you shall not eat of this tree. We knew each other which (for me) made it even worse. I saw it as breaking the 11th commandment..thou shalt not play another's kit without owners permission. To this day many many years ago I say to myself why?. Why did I go against my strong gut feelings.

Yes, almost every time I have sat in on on other’s kit it’s been very much less than enjoyable, and occasionally miserable.

One should only drink from their own watering hole.
I don't mind the house/backline format too much. It's never really ideal, but not many things are. With one or two minor adjustments, I can usually achieve ergonomic comfort and not give the arrangement further thought. Once I'm in the groove of things, schematics lose their significance to a degree.

Commandeering another drummer's kit without explicit permission is a different story though. I don't do it, I won't do it, and I don't want it done to my gear. Private ownership, with all the rights and privileges thereto appertaining, is foundational to a free society. Tall fences make good neighbors, and hands-off policies related to equipment make good fellow musicians.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I’ll only sit in when explicitly asked. Even then it’s a crap shoot. I avoid it unless unavoidable.

don’t even think about looking at my Prem Gen X drums without my permission
63130140.jpg

I’d go so far as to say I don’t like people looking at my Prem Gen X drums without my permission…in fact don’t even think about looking at my Prem Gen X drums without my permission… :unsure: 😁
What about the Pearl kit? I reckon you have no problem having people looking at it... all the time! 🤣

I'm also for not touching/using somebody's gear unless explicitly invited to. Furthermore, if I accept, I'd try to avoid playing too hard, like no "Smells like teen spirit" intro dynamic range. About my kit, well my friends can ask, my kids can play (with the mufflers) without asking... But the friends of my kids only under my strict supervision!

Back