Uh oh...the drummer walks in.

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I don't touch (or even sit behind) other drummers' kits unless the owners of those kits invite me to do so. And never would I request that privilege. Unsolicited invitation is the only way I'd do it. Even then, I might politely decline, depending on the context. I'm always hesitant to impose myself upon someone else's domain.

This.

All day.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

so I had an even more awkward situation happen abbout 20 years ago:

got offered a job playing with these guys for some studio session stuff. Started jamming with them at the guitar players house. 3 weeks went by, and I had been using what I was told was the guitar players son's kit t he whole time. Was still bringing my cymbals, snare, kick pedal etc...

so at prax one afternoon, this HUGE guy comes down the stairs, sort of raging, asking "who was playing my f-ing kit?" The guit guy and bass guy intercept him, and dive into a pretty heated argument with some pushing and shoving. Turns out that they had hired me to take this guys place, but had NOT told him he was out of the band yet.

Big drum guy left, and I told them that I was done as well. I did not like having been "played" like that, and almost getting killed b/c of it...don't know whatever became of the whole thing

and I don't mind if people play my kit with their own snare, cymbals and kick pedal, as long as I am there. I am sort of paranoid about the finish as it is laquer over the wood grain

I WILL NOT let other people play my basses though. I have very dry hands and am a moderate germaphobe, so there is no residue on the neck after I play. I HATE feeling the gooey residue from other peoples hands on the neck after they get done playing

Last edited:

Al Strange

To me, it's no different that using someone's car, house, or significant other without permission. You're lucky to leave without an arse whoopin'.
View attachment 108282
Are you reducing significant others to the category of mere possessions and salty snacks?! :unsure: ;) If my Prem Gen X willingly and deliberately seduced another drummer into playing them (not too difficult to imagine) I’m afraid that we’d regrettably have to part company…the trust would be gone, and there ain’t no getting it back after someone else has smashed the life out of them [by playing the intro to Judas Priest’s “Painkiller”]! Cue some track by the band Air Supply!😂(y)

Spreggy

Silver Member
As long as you change the heights on a few stands and re-tune the snare you should be fine.

:LOL:

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I guess I'm a lot less precious about my drums than a lot of folks... Anything of mine that was set up in a rehearsal space outside of my house I'd consider fair game for someone else to play.

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
I don't touch (or even sit behind) other drummers' kits unless the owners of those kits invite me to do so. And never would I request that privilege. Unsolicited invitation is the only way I'd do it. Even then, I might politely decline, depending on the context. I'm always hesitant to impose myself upon someone else's domain.
Same.
I have enough OCD on tap to be triggered by someone on my kit, let alone me sitting behind theirs.
Even if they offer, I'd be too afraid of something breaking or going bad that I'd have to pay for.

No Sir, thanks anyway.

Otto

Platinum Member
I have lost a full set of ambassador heads to some person who thought they understood how to drum and individual heads more frequently than is comfortable to remember.

I always think..."if it were a Stradivarius, what would I do?"...and try to act accordingly even if it IS an off brand intro set with sketchy heads and hardware...besides, I might break something I am not aware of and cause the owner issues that cannot be fixed before their instrument is needed.

A simple sign set on the snare saying 'please do not hit as this set is breakable' seems to take care of the issue...that and not leaving your set unsupervised.

A nice sheet draped over it also seems to divert the problem.

When i'm off to a less than professional setting I don't wear my best heads...too expensive when the organizers unsupervised child gets adventurous.

I have found no way to fully mitigate this issue and therefore usually never stray from my expensive hardware...like i would not leave my car unlocked.

Last edited:

Al Strange

I may have mentioned before (ahem!😁) that I once agreed to let a supporting act play my kit (including pedals) and the cheeky chancer readjusted my pedal settings on my main kick without my say so...I didn’t find out until I started my set! 😖 To be fair, he was nowhere to be seen when I finished. He did the honourable thing…he legged it!!😂

Bozozoid

C'mon...maybe I missed it. NOONE has done this or has had it done?. OK...like scarface...IM the bad guy..dog pile on the BAD man. Lol. Make room for the bad guy.

Otto

Platinum Member
C'mon...maybe I missed it. NOONE has done this or has had it done?. OK...like scarface...IM the bad guy..dog pile on the BAD man. Lol. Make room for the bad guy.
Hey, my publicity can beat-up your publicity!...all with a smile!

I don't think I have done this since being in high school...and when I did it i was told it was OK by the owner of the house I was at...later to find the set owner was unhappy. Lesson learned and recollected from days that seem closer to the beginning than the end.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Just no sweaty balls on my kit - otherwise bang away. Drums are meant to be played - like an old truck or boat let it sit up without running it turns to shit. But if you break any part of it you will repair or buy a new one. If you don’t play by those rules get your sweaty balls off my drum throne. I always offer to repair or replace anything anyone let’s me borrow. It’s the rule so follow it or die.