TRADITIONAL GRIP POWER

My view is, any gig that requires me to play any cymbal with my left hand (except hi hats) gets matched grip automatically. Otherwise, it could go either way, although anything jazz is likely to get played traditional, especially brush work

I grew up trad. Never did marching band. To this day, if I'm doing something intricate/difficult, that's what I use. For normal/easy stuff I use match, and then only because I think it *looks* better. Can't say I get more power with match, so I guess it just comes from decades of practice.

Nah, his grip is too loose to have come from that world. I can spot “marching hands” a mile away

not all marching hands....the guys you describe are in the minority anymore b/c pedagogy in that world has evolved since you were last immersed in it...granted, there are still some "leftovers" that teach in that style, but their kids can't hang at the tempos we play at now; most of the groups i work with use a stroke very much like a full rebound tymp stroke now honestly...thatr is what I teach with my marching kids. Way more sound production, fluidity and groove for way less work

He’s from Austria, so probably not. He does have a masters degree from the Vienna Conservatory, so obviously he has had some serious training.

yeah...I did not know where he was from

This is an underrated response. When the person in question teaches, seek them out! When I wanted to understand John Riley's playing, I had a lesson with John, after I found out he teaches online. If the person you're influenced by teaches, go and have a lesson with them.
Absolutley! Just checked out his book. Thank you!

not all marching hands....the guys you describe are in the minority anymore b/c pedagogy in that world has evolved since you were last immersed in it...granted, there are still some "leftovers" that teach in that style, but their kids can't hang at the tempos we play at now; most of the groups i work with use a stroke very much like a full rebound tymp stroke now honestly...thatr is what I teach with my marching kids. Way more sound production, fluidity and groove for way less work

yeah...I did not know where he was from
Here is another amazing traditional grip video of him playing Big Band.

"I don't like "Matched" grip because my right and Left sides aren't the same...
If - and I do- often play "Matched" but my left stick is turned around Butt end out 1.
2. Trad accept's "Right and Left" aren't the same and uses that..to it's advantage.' by having 'two colors" instead of 1. That work (pun coming) hand in hand - hand to hand- 1 gives-1 gets- easier.

The hand is on top of stick in matched. The hand comes from underneath in Trad .

The video by that famous drummer Thomas Lang says.
Marching drums began as matched (1st)
When the ability to march over rocky terrain the drum was shouldered on the side (necessitating Trad.)
So matched was the 1st for Marching (not as assumed: Trad)

But getting that out of the way..
Trying to make Left and Right "equal" is almost a fools Bargain (so why fight it) as the two sides of everyones body is not the same. We are asymmetrical. So an asymmetrical grip is not "wrong'...

I feel Two Tips Out - matched - sticks in a search for equal- eventually turns one- to lead with the opposite- If Right handed you will lead left- opposite if Left handed will lead Right- taken to it's "equality" extreme.

One has to lead One has to follow. No matter what unless you're playing "dry" flams two bosses all day..
There's a back and forth not " back and back" or "forth and Forth". It's "Back and Forth" live with it.

So if a Difference in Right and Left is accepted it can be utilized as an advantage. Where the two sides- work- as a "team"- an assist a give -and- take- Instead of "Two Cooks in the Kitchen" or "Dance with Two left feet".

You see the marriage? Between a right and a left that accept as different the difference? It's possible proven over the decades by the smooth drummers that have used "traditional".
And there's many that play "matched" but butt end out on 1 side to balance and even out the inherent asymmetrical nature of our bodies.

I believe if I would have taken- two tips out- matched grip- hard headedly- out to it's logical extreme- I as a Right handed drummer- would have "turned the corner" and become a Left Hand Lead drummer (and I did go there - back in the playing disco time band days).

Instead I have just accepted my R and L sides are different and enjoy it with two different grips (one is a stick reverse grip and the other is "trad")

but I can and will understand anyone wanting to pursue "two tips out matched" I'm just saying after 30 and 40 and into 50 years -into it you might- may come to my same conclusions.
But Go ahead It's all good exercise!

That's my "treatise' on it! Now back To this Bernie Fella!

Last edited:
Here is another amazing traditional grip video of him playing Big Band.

one light/ one dark
asymmetrical grip allows that
one heavy (R)/ one light (L)
Could also say one Male (right) one Female (left)
But don't make the mistake that a "female" (side) can't Fight, hold her own or excite!
OR (you know that..) you'll be sadly mistaken!

Light and dark
Day and Night
ying and Yang
that's the world

there's power in the fluidity of two opposites (hand grips in this case (between the hands) 1 Up/1 Down cooperating
or work with two cooks (elbowing each other) in a Kitchen
it's all your choice
of how to get thru the day
Just don't be hard on yourself
And don't listen to me
It's just what and How I found it.

one light/ one dark
asymmetrical grip allows that
one heavy (R)/ one light (L)
Could also say one Male (right) one Female (left)
But don't make the mistake that a "female" (side) can't Fight, hold her own or excite!
OR (you know that..) you'll be sadly mistaken!

Light and dark
Day and Night
ying and Yang
that's the world

there's power in the fluidity of two opposites (hand grips in this case (between the hands) 1 Up/1 Down cooperating
or work with two cooks (elbowing each other) in a Kitchen
it's all your choice
of how to get thru the day
Just don't be hard on yourself
And don't listen to me
It's just what and How I found it.
Awesome! Thank you!

I could do it with some index finger power, along with a good rotation of the wrist. Beware though that a thin stick might injure the bone behind your index finger with a less fleshy hand.

1 benefit to trad, for me personally- I had my left radial nerve severed in a fight in 1987 (I don't recommend). Can't bend my fingers back as I can in my right hand. But for some reason I *can* play drums (although sometimes, if I really go off, my hand will just....seize up). I can't play difficult stuff with match.

1 benefit to trad, for me personally- I had my left radial nerve severed in a fight in 1987 (I don't recommend). Can't bend my fingers back as I can in my right hand. But for some reason I *can* play drums (although sometimes, if I really go off, my hand will just....seize up). I can't play difficult stuff with match.
You found a way!

I was a high school marcher and stuck with trad. Even though my style is hard rock & metal I don't want to mess with match. I have neurological problems that might give me trouble if I do. Besides I think trad looks cooler and gives you better speed around the toms.

Back