TRADITIONAL GRIP POWER

Yeah this guy is no slouch. Imagine have to follow Thomas Pridgen. It looks like Bernard Galane teaches in L.A. and has a book out. So why not go directly to the source?

I think the power from any grip comes from using your entire arm to make the stroke. So you can start with full strokes, Moeller technique, and refine your motions from there. Mr. Galane’s technique is very refined, and watching this video, he is able to generate amazing power and finesse using an economy of motion. Good stuff!

In my opinion, and I'm sure a lot of people will respond here .... you would need to focus on a full wrist turn like you're turning a door knob, without moving up and down from the elbow. The arm will come into play when you hit harder. But if you're not focused on a full wrist turn you're going to kill yourself. By that I mean stick in the fulcrum, palm facing up, and then turning your wrist, so the stick stays in the fulcrum, but hits the drum, it's almost like 180° turn. Dont move your elbow, just turn your wrist.

I used to watch a couple of guys in particular, Steve Ferrone is great at this, Keith Carlock as well. I don't think Stewart Copeland's technique is as good as those other two guys. And Vinnie of course who uses A LOT of arm and a big stick. Steve Gadd has very big, full and wide wrist turns as well, the older stuff. I'm sure someone's gonna recommend Todd Sucherman, who I think plays great, but his hands don't look is loose as some other guys. And people really like Steve Smith for this too. Although I prefer the guys that I mentioned over him.

I used play like this all the time, I'm 61 now and I probably played traditional grip back beats till I was like 40. But it just wasn't worth it. I still play better ghost notes and shuffles with traditional, but yeah. My guys for this were Stewart Copeland, Gadd, Vinnie, and Stephen Ferrone. The old guard. We could get super deep into this and I could post some old Alan Dawson videos that have a left-hand reverse turn going the other way, throwing the stick out to the left instead of down to the right, that is pretty bad ass.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! Yeah I just saw Bernie Galane has a Hand Technique Book out. Will check it out! Really appreciate the info guys!

I see absolutely know reason why a drummer that has really has good traditional grip technique couldn't play heavy backbeat material or a drummer with good matched grip technique couldn't play jazz.
I don't want to go off thread from this guy's questions. But why does Gadd play matched with Clapton and half the time on his own gig. Why does Jack DeJohnette have to play match grip now and doesn't play traditional grip ?Why does Thomas Lang play match grip now and doesn't play traditional grip. Why do you see Vinnie on video half the time playing match grip. And yeah you see Bill Stewart playing match jazz. And a handful of other guys playing match jazz, though I don't know who.

Maybe personal preference, maybe comfort, or maybe their hands hurt

I don't want to go off thread from this guy's questions. But why does Gadd play matched with Clapton and half the time on his own gig. Why does Jack DeJohnette have to play match grip now and doesn't play traditional grip ?Why does Thomas Lang play match grip now and doesn't play traditional grip. Why do you see Vinnie on video half the time playing match grip. And yeah you see Bill Stewart playing match jazz. And a handful of other guys playing match jazz, though I don't know who.

Maybe personal preference, maybe comfort, or maybe their hands hurt
I can’t think of a traditional grip player that never plays matched grip. Add Buddy Rich and Louie Bellson to your list.

I see absolutely no reason why a drummer that has really has good traditional grip technique couldn't play heavy backbeat material or a drummer with good matched grip technique couldn't play jazz.
Well there is a different transfer of force onto the drum. Thanks for your reply!

Hate to be the one to give the boring answer, but you just gotta practice practice practice. Countless hours working on singles and single stroke rolls. I studied traditional grip with Chuck Brown and he had us turning the wrist, never pumping the arm. Back when I was working on it I could play as loud or soft as I wanted.

We could get super deep into this and I could post some old Alan Dawson videos that have a left-hand reverse turn going the other way, throwing the stick out to the left instead of down to the right, that is pretty bad ass.
This is interesting. I can't visualize how this would work so I would love to see those videos.

Yeah this guy is no slouch. Imagine have to follow Thomas Pridgen. It looks like Bernard Galane teaches in L.A. and has a book out. So why not go directly to the source?

This is an underrated response. When the person in question teaches, seek them out! When I wanted to understand John Riley's playing, I had a lesson with John, after I found out he teaches online. If the person you're influenced by teaches, go and have a lesson with them.

I wonder if he has any marching/corps experience under his belt....you would definitely get that kind of technique from doing that

Back