Top 20 Rock Drummer Nicknames

There is a difference between a stage name and a nickname.
If we were to make such a hair-splitting distinction, what would be the difference?

Except to correct one omission, we’re sticking with what has proved to be a near-perfect algorithm for ranking rock drummer nicknames.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
If we were to make such a hair-splitting distinction, what would be the difference?

Except to correct one omission, we’re sticking with what has proved to be a near-perfect algorithm for ranking rock drummer nicknames.
It's pretty simple: What appeared on album credits? What name to they respond to?

Neil Peart's name was Neil Peart. That's what was on album credits. That's what he went by. Yes, his nickname was "The Professor" (among others as jokes), but no one really called him that by name, nor was it ever used in any type of credit. If he gave an autograph, it was "Neil Peart" not anything else. yes, Geddy says "The Professor on the drum kit" on the live album, but there was never any other formal reference to Neil as anyone other than Neil.

Ringo Starr is a stage name. It's not only what people referred to him by, it's the name on album credits. He's never been referred to by another other names, except legal documents when it comes to his career. Same with Tre Cool, Mikkey Dee, and many others.

It's pretty simple: What appeared on album credits? What name to they respond to?

Neil Peart's name was Neil Peart. That's what was on album credits. That's what he went by. Yes, his nickname was "The Professor" (among others as jokes), but no one really called him that by name, nor was it ever used in any type of credit. If he gave an autograph, it was "Neil Peart" not anything else. yes, Geddy says "The Professor on the drum kit" on the live album, but there was never any other formal reference to Neil as anyone other than Neil.

Ringo Starr is a stage name. It's not only what people referred to him by, it's the name on album credits. He's never been referred to by another other names, except legal documents when it comes to his career. Same with Tre Cool, Mikkey Dee, and many others.
Thanks for your thoughts. Impressive that you think you know what names they respond to. But since my Mom calls me a name that’s different from what’s on my government ID, your input has been determined to be a distinction without a difference.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Thanks for your thoughts. Impressive that you think you know what names they respond to. But since my Mom calls me a name that’s different from what’s on my government ID, your input has been determined to be a distinction without a difference.
I didn't say anything about what it says on their government ID. LOL, That has nothing to do with it. Apples and Oranges.

What appears on their album credits (stage name) and nicknames (not used for album credits).

Mikkey Dee, Tre Cool, Ringo Starr, Giner Baker, none of these are on their government IDs, but it's the names they're known by. If you buy an album they were on, that's the name in the credits (other than songwriting that uses legal names, since, well, that's a legal claim).

Yet, there not a single Rush album credited to "The Professor" or "Bubba" nor do you find any Zepplin albums that list "Bonzo" as the drummer.

GretschedHive

Silver Member
Man, we (very much including me here) really will bicker and argue about just about anything on here, won't we.

monty python GIF