Top 20 Rock Drummer Nicknames

The Shepherd

Metal is full of them. They are stage names rather than nicknames, but they arent given names. No one names their kid Hellhammer, or Inferno, or Equimanthorn.

Pete "The Feet/Commando" Sandoval (Morbid Angel)

Tim "Herb" Alexander (Primus)

Brad "Jizmak Da Gusha" Roberts (GWAR)

Jizmak.jpg

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
I’m hoping banjo, but I’ll also accept a love of crabs. The eating kind.
Sorry to disappoint, it was neither

I got the nickname after having to dig out my stuck van from the mud after a Triple A guy, with the equipment he needed...wouldn't even try it. After a gig. On the guys lawn we were playing at. Boy did I tear his lawn up lol

I dug like 20 feet of mud out...both sides...with the best tool I had available....a clawhammer...and managed to get it out just as it was getting light out.

I can't believe the AAA guy just left me to twist in the wind. He was enormous.

larryace

"Uncle Larry" - Administrator
Staff member
Yea and I don't even mind the nickname. Beats the snot out of Larry Lovetrain, my former nickname

Roundabouts I understand. Swings? That's new to me. Unless you're talking swingsets.

GetAgrippa

Diamond Member
He’s not a drummer but I always wondered how did Skunk Baxter get his name- my mind gambols with disgusting answers.

toddmc

Gold Member
Roundabouts I understand. Swings? That's new to me. Unless you're talking swingsets.
What you lose on the roundabouts you make up on the swings (ie you went through a crappy experience but now have a new nickname and story to tell). Gotta love those cultural differences ;)

toddmc

Gold Member
"Living Dead Drummer".... no? lol
Great example actually- is this a stage name, nickname or just a forum name? 🤔

Nick name: A familiar or humorous name given to a person or thing instead of or as well as the real name.
Stage name: A name assumed for professional purposes by an actor or other performer.

So in broadest terms, a nickname is given to you by others, while a stage name is chosen by the person themselves (so the OP's original list sounds like a mixture of both to me).

Living Dead Drummer

Platinum Member
Great example actually- is this a stage name, nickname or just a forum name? 🤔

Nick name: A familiar or humorous name given to a person or thing instead of or as well as the real name.
Stage name: A name assumed for professional purposes by an actor or other performer.

So in broadest terms, a nickname is given to you by others, while a stage name is chosen by the person themselves (so the OP's original list sounds like a mixture of both to me).
It's a Nick Name for sure. Someone referred to me as "Living Dead Drummer" for a specific gig I was doing, the one in my profile pic actually. So you can see why they called me that. After that gig I decided that was the best way to differentiate myself from the "other" Nick Mason, something I struggled with for the first 15 years of my career. I immediately changed my website, social media, etc to "Living Dead Drummer." Then I called the trademark office!

toddmc

Gold Member
It's a Nick Name for sure. Someone referred to me as "Living Dead Drummer" for a specific gig I was doing, the one in my profile pic actually. So you can see why they called me that. After that gig I decided that was the best way to differentiate myself from the "other" Nick Mason, something I struggled with for the first 15 years of my career. I immediately changed my website, social media, etc to "Living Dead Drummer." Then I called the trademark office!
So, a nickname which became a stage name- nice one (y)

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Ranking algorithm gives primary weight to the coolness of the nickname and also considers the drummer's influence and fame.

1. John "Jabo" Starks - The JBs (James Brown)

2. Cornelius Ellwood "Neil" (aka. "The Professor" or "Bubba") Peart - Rush

3. Colin Trevor "Cozy Powell" Flooks - Jeff Beck Band, Emerson, Lake & Powell

4. Chris "Whipper" Layton - Double Trouble

5. Brad M. “Bun E. Carlos” Carlson

6. Micael Kiriakos "Mikkey Dee" Delaoglou - Motörhead, The Scorpions

7. Charles "Chuck Biscuits" Montgomery - Danzig, Social Distortion

8. "Ringo" Starkey - The Beatles

9. Joseph "Zigaboo" Modeliste - The Meters

10.Nicholas Bowen "Topper" Headon

11. Frank Edwin "Tré Cool," Wright III - Green Day

12. James Owen "The Rev" Sullivan - Avenged Sevenfold

13.Peter Edward "Ginger" Baker

14. Eric "Smelly" Sandlin - NOFX

15. John "Bonzo" Bonham - Led Zeppelin

16. Laurence Gordon "Corky" Laing - Mountain

17. Bernard "Pretty" Purdie - Steely Dan

18, John Lee "Jaimoe" Johnson - Allman Brothers

19. Kjetil-Vidar "Frost" Haraldstad - Satyricon, 1349

20. Ahmir "Questlove" Thompson - The Roots, John Mayer

21. Jerome "Bigfoot" Brailey - Parliament Funkadelic

No mention of Cozy Powell's most famous band, Rainbow?

Morgan
Metal is full of them. They are stage names rather than nicknames, but they arent given names. No one names their kid Hellhammer, or Inferno, or Equimanthorn.

Pete "The Feet/Commando" Sandoval (Morbid Angel)

Tim "Herb" Alexander (Primus)

Morgan “Alien Freak” Rose of Sevendust .

Friends referred to him as alien way back due to his appearance . Sometime later people called him a freak due to his performance behind the kit. He later joined them together to form his Alien Freak clothing and merch company and Vater has the Morgan Rose Alien Freak double butt end signature stick . There was an oval tipped signature signature stick called the whiplash.
And there was a pearl Morgan Rose signature snare drum . Talk about making your nicknames work for you !

1637704D-40D1-49A4-BCE6-3F1FB1E4410C.jpeg
F68C3892-4829-4231-BA15-E8BE8C574BA7.jpegEEC9CDC4-3409-41CD-8FB8-5552A52E5404.jpegA8601F53-4145-494A-840A-389AACD95E7F.jpegA0C946E8-9F36-4359-9F64-E0043AD111E4.jpeg

iCe

Silver Member
Mike Portnoy during his Dream Theater period was affectionately called The Lama because of all the loogies he just to spat out during live shows

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Couldn’t list ‘em all. Surely, Black Sabbath was a bigger credit than Rainbow, though.
Yeah, Sabbath is the bigger band than Rainbow overall, but no one remembers that Cozy was in Sabbath, and he was in a period that hardly anybody cares about (Hell, I forgot he was with them). Meanwhile, he was with Rainbow during their most critically acclaimed and adored period with Ronnie James Dio. I think he's probably more famous for his Stargazer intro than anything else he's done.