Sound Guy Trouble

No Way Jose

Silver Member
We were scheduled to play a street party with four bands, two stages. About an hour before show time the sound guy calls and says "Sorry but the band had a gig last night and we all got drunk" and no sound system is set up and he doesn't know when he will be there.

Yet another Spinal Tap moment for a live gigging band.

I wonder what Jojo Mayer would say. I recently watched an interview of his where he says a musician should be ready to adapt if equipment fails him. How difficult would it be to pack your own power extension cord, small mixer, mics, mic cords and guitar amps?

I wonder what Jojo Mayer would say. I recently watched an interview of his where he says a musician should be ready to adapt if equipment fails him. How difficult would it be to pack your own power extension cord, small mixer, mics, mic cords and guitar amps?
But that’s if the musicians’ gear fails him. Audio engineering is really a whole other discipline that doesn’t just exist for musicians and the myriad of methods of doing it professionally is a bit staggering. Like music, a lot of people can major in sound design and engineering. So I’m not surprised a lot of musicians don’t know a lot about sound reinforcement. I wouldn’t expect them to do it well. What I carry for a PA system is a lot bigger and more complicated than a small mixer and some mics. And for a big street concert, it’s likely the musicians wouldn’t have enough to fill the space sound-wise even if they wanted to. I carry two 15” main speakers, an 18” subwoofer, a 32-channel board and amplifiers that give me 5000 watts of power - and I consider this small-to-medium (probably good for a big restaurant). So if the band is performing to also show how good they are, the venue has to reflect that too, and musicians shouldn’t be expected to provide that too.

That is very unprofessional and I think that should be the last time you guys hire that sound guy. I think in that situation my band would make the most of it using their own amps. It would not work well, but it would be something.

Wow! Typical unprofessional, unreliable peckerhead!
I'd look into assembling your own pa system, at least for vocals for a start.
Never hire that ...tard again.

sounds like he let down a lot of people by pulling that crap. he should do it with a hangover or better yet have anther beer and do it. it would be better than a no show! i wouldn't let his name be anonymous on your local social media, people would here about that crap

Four bands and two stages! That’s a lot of disappointment for the organisers and punters.
Did he get anything set up at all? Maybe one stage for half the show? Did any of the four bands get to play?

sounds like he let down a lot of people by pulling that crap. he should do it with a hangover or better yet have anther beer and do it. it would be better than a no show! i wouldn't let his name be anonymous on your local social media, people would here about that crap

he better not see any payment...or other hirings for doing sound...I would get the dirty word out about him ASAP

That's one of the reasons I have owned a small PA for decades. It ain't fancy, but it has pulled my butt out of the fire many times. I have used it for:

-playing along to music for practice
-band practice
-emergency spare for gigs

This all goes back to my theory that we should go to music that can function without miking if they have to. A horns-based band with drums doesn’t really need miking in most environments. All you really need is mikes for the singers.

We had our sound guy no-call, no-show a gig...that was it. We never worked with him again.

I'd pull out the brushes, have everyone strap on their acoustic guitars or electrics and small amps, and go sit out with the crowd and have an intimate performance. Mix yourself as if you are having a easy-going practice or song-writing session. People would love it.

I've seen alcohol destroy people's lives, and this guy is on his way to doing it to himself. I hope that it was worth it.

We complained to the promoter. Somebody else showed up with an underpowered PA system and no monitors.

We complained to the promoter. Next time we bring our own PA system. They can set up their own sound guys, that's OK, but if the sound guys are drunk then we have our own PA ready to go. You never hear about Spinal Tap ++.

During negotiations. I always make it a point to introduce potential sound men to my associates, Vinny and Bruno, to let them know that failure is not an option.
Wow, Your one tough Mouse, …respect.

This all goes back to my theory that we should go to music that can function without miking if they have to. A horns-based band with drums doesn’t really need miking in most environments. All you really need is mikes for the singers.
I was in an 8 piece horn band for over 10 years. Our soundman was under subcontract. He and his help needed two to three hours to set up the system. Without him?..the band didn't play. That never happened but if it did?..were driving home. There was a time when we were forced to use another sound crew with near disastrous results. It's amazing how an audience thinks you are near godlike when the sound system is totally happening and then when the system is less than stellar it's all of a sudden what happened tonight?. Our? Sound crew not showing due to a hangover?..there wouldn't be an argument..
Its....your done. End of story.

I was in an 8 piece horn band for over 10 years. Our soundman was under subcontract. He and his help needed two to three hours to set up the system. Without him?..the band didn't play. That never happened but if it did?..were driving home. There was a time when we were forced to use another sound crew with near disastrous results. It's amazing how an audience thinks you are near godlike when the sound system is totally happening and then when the system is less than stellar it's all of a sudden what happened tonight?. Our? Sound crew not showing due to a hangover?..there wouldn't be an argument..
Its....your done. End of story.

it is also weird how much power the sound guy has over the perception of the band...remember, don't piss off the (good) sound guy either. I knew a few sound guys who would get "dissed" by the band - guitar players and singers especially - and all of the sudden, that guys solos were real hard to hear; or the vox were...

Back