Sonor Designer or DW Collectors?

Power Tom

Hi all, I have my eye on a couple of kits and would appreciate your opinions as to which you would choose and what you think the value would be.

Sonor Designer Maple Lite Bubinga, Gold Hardware. 8 shells never played, brand new from 2005

DW Collectors exotic, maple candy burst. 7 shells, mint condition, gold badge, bit older I think. Original heads, never been out of the house

Cheers

I drool over designers but the one I played was a heavy birch. You might get the same sound in a prolite and updated hardware.

Has it been sitting up the back of a store for 9 years?

Thanks guys. The donor is owned by a collector and has been in storage.

Any punts as to a value?

Hi all, I have my eye on a couple of kits and would appreciate your opinions as to which you would choose and what you think the value would be.

Sonor Designer Maple Lite Bubinga, Gold Hardware. 8 shells never played, brand new from 2005

DW Collectors exotic, maple candy burst. 7 shells, mint condition, gold badge, bit older I think. Original heads, never been out of the house

Cheers

Where are you located, where did you find the Designer?

DW might have the Edge (pun intended) in finishes. Their exotic finishes are often breathtaking (love mine) and they use real veneers. Both brands do better than most in the resale market. Most other categories. I'd favor Sonor. They sound so good and they're built so well, at least their upper echelon drums (Designer, DeLite, Pro Lite, SQ2, etc.).

Are you buying for sound, looks, or value?

I doubt the Sonor will sound much different than your Yamaha. The DW's have a distinctive sound compared to other maple drums. Looks is preference, both are nice. Value, again, both are nice/high value, with Sonor being a bit more rare (at least in the US).

Sonor shells with rings and DW shells are almost identical as far as sound is concerned (because of the construction).

Now, the designers will most likely have straight shells. What you need to do now is to find out what floats your fancy more.....the straight shell or the thinner with rings shell.

They're going to sound slightly different with the straight shell having a bit more bite and the rings shell having a "boomier" sound.

Cheers,
D

Sonor shells with rings and DW shells are almost identical as far as sound is concerned (because of the construction).

Now, the designers will most likely have straight shells. What you need to do now is to find out what floats your fancy more.....the straight shell or the thinner with rings shell.

They're going to sound slightly different with the straight shell having a bit more bite and the rings shell having a "boomier" sound.

Cheers,
D

Thanks Derek, I reckon you are spot on! Im more into the bite than the boom I think:) My Yammies with their cast hoops have both

Are you buying for sound, looks, or value?

I doubt the Sonor will sound much different than your Yamaha. The DW's have a distinctive sound compared to other maple drums. Looks is preference, both are nice. Value, again, both are nice/high value, with Sonor being a bit more rare (at least in the US).

Good point and I think one reason deedubs are pricey is because its a custom order. Practically limitless options. However, if buying used or off the show room floor and cannot choose sizes and finishes, you should be getting a hefty discount IMO.

DW might have the Edge (pun intended) in finishes. Their exotic finishes are often breathtaking (love mine) and they use real veneers. Both brands do better than most in the resale market. Most other categories. I'd favor Sonor. They sound so good and they're built so well, at least their upper echelon drums (Designer, DeLite, Pro Lite, SQ2, etc.).

I always dreamed of having a donor signature in Bubinga when I was a kid. Then when the HiLite came out in that copper finish ….ooooooohhhhh!!!!

Not telling until its its safe in my hands:)

Smart Man!
I have DW Collector's Exotic Tamo Ash over maple with rings and Collector's Cherry shell kits and love them both. Having said that, I would go for the Sonor, due to it's age and condition. You could always sell it if you don't like it.

Nothing will compare to Sonor's quality. Their construction is also unique, in that they create their shells a tiny bit smaller in diameter so that heads are seated better, and this results in different sound.

I would go Sonor for sure. But ultimately it'll be the one you like best. Any way you can play them first? I've bought new kits and discovered I didn't like how they sounded regardless of my tuning abilities way after the fact.

Nothing will compare to Sonor's quality. Their construction is also unique, in that they create their shells a tiny bit smaller in diameter so that heads are seated better, and this results in different sound.

DW has been doing that forever. This is a Sonor Lite correct? Where were all the super thin Sonor kits before DW came along? They used to swear up and down that thick beech shells were the best. Now their top kits are thin maple too. Sonor over DW? Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here.

Back