RIP Joe Calato

Great invention my condolences to his friends and family. I wonder what all he tried before struck on nylon?
Nail polish.
Prior to designing the nylon tip he would use his wife’s nail polish to try and give them a longer lifespan.

Joe was a great guy. I had the pleasure of working for Regal Tip from 2004-2007. Although he was retired he would frequently visit the office and continued to come up with new ideas and concepts. One such post-retirement innovation was the E-Series tip. A nylon tip stick that sounded closer to wood while still providing the durability of nylon.

Much of the machinery in the factory he designed and truly innovated much of the things we drummers take for granted now. Like matching sticks according to weight and wood grain.

At some point every major Drummer played Regal Tip. Alex Van Halen, Lars Ulrich, Dennis Chambers, Peter Criss, Carmine Appice, Stewart Copeland, Dave Grohl, Josh Freese, Jeff Porcaro the list goes on and on…

102 is a hell of a run. My condolences to the CALATO family, may he rest in peace.

Nail polish.
Prior to designing the nylon tip he would use his wife’s nail polish to try and give them a longer lifespan.

Joe was a great guy. I had the pleasure of working for Regal Tip from 2004-2007. Although he was retired he would frequently visit the office and continued to come up with new ideas and concepts. One such post-retirement innovation was the E-Series tip. A nylon tip stick that sounded closer to wood while still providing the durability of nylon.

Much of the machinery in the factory he designed and truly innovated much of the things we drummers take for granted now. Like matching sticks according to weight and wood grain.

At some point every major Drummer played Regal Tip. Alex Van Halen, Lars Ulrich, Dennis Chambers, Peter Criss, Carmine Appice, Stewart Copeland, Dave Grohl, Josh Freese, Jeff Porcaro the list goes on and on…

102 is a hell of a run. My condolences to the CALATO family, may he rest in peace.

Quite an innovator! The 5A E-Series stick is my absolute FAVORITE. I have 1-2 new pairs un-played in their sleeves because I am too scared to let them get shredded up and have no replacements. I really hope the E-series is made again in some capacity.

might this explain the Regal Tip saga- the drum forums- have been trying to decipher.
The family and the company's situation was in a holding pattern ( Rest in Peace Joe
No not really. It was mainly Covid and attempts at retooling. Also the business has moved to the next generation (Joe’s granddaughter and husband) and there were issues with transferring the company. The good news is they are back in production although small scale right now. I was at the wake and spoke to his daughters and granddaughter. They are positive about the future of the company.

Sad to hear the news. These have been my rock drumsticks go to's for a long time. No nylon tip, actually no tip at all. Mr. Calato has accompanied my journey more than I had ever thought.

powerrock.jpeg

In high school could go about a week without lunches and afford a new pair of Regal Tip Nylon Tipped 5A's (or 7a's depending on my focus and condition of sticks in my stick bag).

Great memories of how those felt...they had a noticeable flex...something that taught me things that other sticks didn't...but they also lived a shorter life.

I did prefer Pro-Mark...but they were expensive though they lasted longer...but not longer, at my skill level then, than the price warranted.

I really didn't know about the man...just the company's product.

Last edited:
Back