Recommend a QUIETER/affordable SNARE head?(or set)

Ensnared!

Hi Folks,
Guitar guy here who JUST got my first drum, a nice unbranded cheap, wood snare, that a drummer buddy found for me a few weeks ago ( we finally hooked up, with some other friends, for lunch...

The snare is in very good shape
-Attractive, 14"X5", good tone ( what do I know?) but man it is LOUD!

I understand this may be the nature of the beast, which I will except.
The snare has brand new heads; REMO Ambassador coated on batter, and clear Ambassador 'weather king' on resonant head
( learning the lingo)

Are these loud heads, or just a very good general purpose head?
Any recommendations for something quieter
?
* NOT talking about the muted 'SilentStroke', etc., type heads
But something good v for light jazz, swing blues, basic Country, R&R
Thanks much!

Here is my snare!

Attachments

• Snare2.jpg
    Snare2.jpg
    618.8 KB · Views: 14
You could look at a RTOM Black Hole or Evans dB One head, I posted a video recently comparing them with a regular head.
Regular drum heads will always be as loud as you experienced, give or take a couple of dB.
Another thought is using lighter sticks, rods, brushes, etc. but that will be a transition from using normal sticks on a practice pad.
Enjoy the ride!

Emperor, Fiberskyn ,Coated Pinstripe

..and what you're touching : ) you'll like

Look for a drum head, the head manufacturers refer to as "dark". (I'm looking at Evans). Usually means a heavy 2 ply head. This will "deaden" a drum and give perceived "quietness", (although only to some extent).

Thicker heads will trim out a few higher overtones that many might perceive as "louder" but if the hands can't make an Ambassador quiet, I don't think anyone will really notice a difference from only changing the drum head.

I'd stick with the Ambassador, and add a little external muffling like a Moongel or Zero Ring to trim out those higher overtones, and just keep working on the technique to control the volume with your hands. :)

Thicker heads will trim out a few higher overtones that many might perceive as "louder" but if the hands can't make an Ambassador quiet, I don't think anyone will really notice a difference from only changing the drum head.

I'd stick with the Ambassador, and add a little external muffling like a Moongel or Zero Ring to trim out those higher overtones, and just keep working on the technique to control the volume with your hands. :)
Thanks!
Working on playing quietly w/o losing energy, still getting a good sound.
Heck, I'm still 'getting a grip!', on holding the sticks- spazzy!

It takes a while to build the finger control to play quiet. Other things would be:

Heads - calf skin
Snares - less strands
Drum shells - old, thin, softer timber, shallow*

NB shallower snare drums can sound louder as they excite the snares wires more

Last edited:
If you don't mind giving up some of the inherent "drum sound," you can toss a hand towel/dish towel over it. It will mute the drum to some extent, but it's gonna sound funny - especially a snare drum. The snare is typically louder than the tom-toms so it can be heard over the rest of the band - it's half of the '1 and 3' or '2 and 4' of your time keeping. Your snare volume is always turned up to 11! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned it, but you can try a thinner and/or lighter stick. Many have found the Vic Firth American Jazz 5 (AJ5) to be a lightweight stick that still sounds good. Don't be afraid to try brushes, plastic or wood rutes (multi-rods) or other stick alternatives. Sticks are to drummers as picks and amps are to guitarists.

Most of all, have fun!

If you don't mind giving up some of the inherent "drum sound," you can toss a hand towel/dish towel over it. It will mute the drum to some extent, but it's gonna sound funny - especially a snare drum. The snare is typically louder than the tom-toms so it can be heard over the rest of the band - it's half of the '1 and 3' or '2 and 4' of your time keeping. Your snare volume is always turned up to 11! :ROFLMAO:

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned it, but you can try a thinner and/or lighter stick. Many have found the Vic Firth American Jazz 5 (AJ5) to be a lightweight stick that still sounds good. Don't be afraid to try brushes, plastic or wood rutes (multi-rods) or other stick alternatives. Sticks are to drummers as picks and amps are to guitarists.

Most of all, have fun!
I do have 7A sticks ( along w/5A's) and brushes, and am using all, quietly.

- it's just the situation of a snare drum in an apartment-

Back