Pearl President Deluxe

RobertM

Platinum Member
I posted a while back about these Luan-shell kits. I found this recent recording of Isac Jamba playing a 20/14/12 set that is tuned high for bop. Curious what folks think:

I played one at Forks almost a year ago. I REALLY wanted to like this kit because I'm an absolute sucker for anything with an old-school script badge. I wasn't impressed with them in person. With that said, I do commend and appreciate Pearl for trying something different!

I'm sure these work great for some people, but not for me.

You can easily find a luan shell kit from the 60's on ebay or Reverb at half that price or less. That's your best bet.

I like their tone, and they seem to have better harware than vintage MIJ. However, the Gretsch Catalina are the same material but more affordable, and have better (to me) finishes.

Back in the day I was sick... psychotic...about all the woods..the blends..edges..depths etc. I played an R.O.C. kit and they sounded great!. Why to me would they sound better than everything else..it didn't make sence price wise. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Luna baby...Luan. It's magical.

I must admit that I like these drums, I guess because they're very old school and a classy retro look. Some of us like the old luan shell Japanese drums from the 60's, oddly enough. They have a sound character all their own, and they are a form of mahogany, which we all know is a good drumshell wood. I think Sweetwater has these drums in a yellow tiger finish as an exclusive.

Last edited:
I think they’re cool - but I’m not sure I’d buy one. There’s so many actual vintage kits you can get out there….this is like getting one of those Fender “relic’d” guitars I think. But certain types of kits look good in all situations, these qualify.

They have a sound character all their own, and they are a form of mahogany, which we all know is a classy drumshell wood.
Some might argue that they are not biologically mahogany, but neither is African mahogany. They've got quite similar mechanical properties, so they ought to sound similar. Many of them also have nice-looking grain.
OTOH, it still depends on how you make drums out of luan. The Presidents are great, the Catalinas very nice, vintage Imperialstars also not bad, but I've heard samples (that they sell!) of old Apollo drums that sound bad.

They're a recreation of a kit nobody wanted because pearl had no modern vintage offering. They do nothing at all for me.

Back