Paiste formula 602 hihats

KenDoken

Something has snapped and I have purchased another broken cymbal
IMG_20221116_191155970.jpgIMG_20221116_191233233.jpg
The cracks are a bit angry looking but anecdote tells me they have done thier cracking and are now stable. I have marked the cracks so can keep an eye on them and get on with playing them

looking from here I'd maybe put a stop a 3/16" bit stop hole to that) +/-
or wing it like you want to

Something has snapped and I have purchased another broken cymbal
View attachment 126924View attachment 126925
The cracks are a bit angry looking but anecdote tells me they have done thier cracking and are now stable. I have marked the cracks so can keep an eye on them and get on with playing them
Nope, the cracks will keep growing until the cymbal is ruined!
Cut it out now and save what you can, that is the ONLY solution.
Also, I've found that black label and preserial 602 sound edge top cymbals are especially fragile (I have a cracked one too!), I think the edges are thinner than the standard tops (lathing is different too), causing them be be more susceptible to cracking....

PXL_20210827_025441516.jpg

I find that 602 cymbals sound great with or without damage. I can confidently say that if the crack gets worse, it will still sound like a 602 cymbal with a slightly different character. At least that's been my experience. I own 3 Formula 602 Sound Edge tops that have one crack each. I bought them that way and got good deals because of it. I also have a few that are in perfect shape. I can pretty much guarantee that no one listening in the audience or on a recording would know if the drummer is playing a cracked top cymbal or not. That being said, however, I, or someone else, may eventually repair my cracked tops. But for now, they sound great regardless of the cracks.

removing the least amt of material will affect sound the least. The least removal of material is a drill hole. In 72 I drilled the bottom hi hat Avedis that developed an 'edge knick inward' crack.
50 years later. Still hasn't budged. And won't for another 50.

If an edge crack starts moving in toward middle of cymbal you'll lose tone will change into something ugly.
I have an 18" PS 602 that proves that. Previous owner let crack creep toward mid of cymbal. It's ugly/ sound near worthless.

you gotta stop them quick-if they are a gig cymbal..

Last edited:
Back