Only in 2020 has this ever happened to me !

Has anybody ever had a cymbal invert on them in the middle of a song? I'm playing along happy as a clam when I strike my 17" K Custom Dark and it feels like I hit a lamp or something. I look up at it and the damn thing has inverted, looking more like a china than a crash. I'm in my 60's so it's not like I'm playing speed metal or beating the cymbal to death. T'was just an ordinary accent if you will. Pretty strange. What gives here?

Damn son I’ve never heard of such. Sounds like bad karma, someone cast a spell, alien intervention. or a ghost. Sounds eerily scary. Did you keep playing? Did it pop back or stay stuck? It’s a dang shame there isn’t video of th event-or is there?

Damn son I’ve never heard of such. Sounds like bad karma, someone cast a spell, alien intervention. or a ghost. Sounds eerily scary. Did you keep playing? Did it pop back or stay stuck? It’s a dang shame there isn’t video of th event-or is there?

I'm not superstitious so I'm thinking more like poor workmanship. It stayed stuck that way. I ended up taking off my hi hat cymbals, placed it on the hi hat, then Wife and I put our hands at four corners and pushed down on count of 3. It went back to "kind of normal" but doesn't look exactly right. Pretty weird though.

I’ve done it with a 20” Meinl china that looks more like a standard cymbal now (!), but it took 7 years of brutal hammering gigging in rock bands to do it. It still sounds great so no worries. That’s a really strange thing to happen with a crash...have you done “showy crashes” in the past where you strike the underside of the cymbal? ?

I’ve done it with a 20” Meinl china that looks more like a standard cymbal now (!), but it took 7 years of brutal hammering gigging in rock bands to do it. It still sounds great so no worries. That’s a really strange thing to happen with a crash...have you done “showy crashes” in the past where you strike the underside of the cymbal? ?
No showy crashes. Nothing goofy about the way it sits on the stand either. Felt on the metal plate, plastic thread guard, cymbal then felt on top with wing nut. Pretty straight forward.

I had it happen with a Sabian aa 16" crash years ago. It didn't lose shape when popped back though. It would do it here and there after.

Last edited:
I have that exact same cymbal, but have never done that to it....

in marching band, we used to invert cymbals all the time, but that is a more violent crash than with sticks

I have seen guys break cymbals with sticks, but not invert them!!

Never had that! Sounds like there has been a tension buildup in the cymbal and eventually got too much so it inverted.

Last edited:
I borrowed a cheap drum set with cheap cymbals for a weekend. My brother was wailing away bare-handed (no sticks) and smacked the crash. Yep, he inverted it. Haven't seen such a thing since. He and my drum teacher flipped it back with no apparent changes. It still sounded like a trash can lid.

Sounds like there has been a tension buildup in the cymbal and eventually got too much so it inverted.
This sounds like the most likely explanation. Stresses can alter over time - mostly depending on stresses imparted (or not relieved) during manufacture, and partly due to stresses imparted during use over time. I think it's reasonable to assume the cymbal was already somewhat predisposed to do this at some stage. Maybe if the strike point / orientation of the cymbal was more concentrated in one area - over time - this could possibly promote such a reaction.

Reactions: iCe
I've never seen this happen by accident. It has always been as a result of load in/out or gross over-enthusiasm when playing.

Has anybody ever had a cymbal invert on them in the middle of a song? I'm playing along happy as a clam when I strike my 17" K Custom Dark and it feels like I hit a lamp or something. I look up at it and the damn thing has inverted, looking more like a china than a crash. I'm in my 60's so it's not like I'm playing speed metal or beating the cymbal to death. T'was just an ordinary accent if you will. Pretty strange. What gives here?

Literally never seen that or had it happen to me haha.

Wild.

On my first kit the cheap cymbals I had would do that when I hit them really hard, I'd just put them on the floor and pull up or put them against my knee and pull them back. I've never heard of cymbals of quality doing that, I did some research and the only thing I'm seeing is that it can happen if the wingnuts/felts are tightened down too much and the cymbal can't flex.

Yep, had it happen to a Sabian crash. I dont remember what size it was. I do remember I put it on something round and pushed into the center to pop it back out.

sounds like a haunted cymbal about to get worse, for health and safety concerns send it my may and I'll properly dispose it for you free of charge.

This is a rare occurrence in our terrestrial world. I believe that you had the cymbal set up right under a mini-black hole gravitational vortex. These temporal inversion areas are hard to find on earth. But they do exist. The effects of these cosmic occurrences can invert even the strongest metallic objects. In fact if you had been standing in that same exact spot during the electrical eddy that was formed, you also would have been inverted. I’m sure you have met some inverted people. There have been a lot of them out and about during this year 2020. They suck you into the same quagmire that they live in day to day. Consider yourself lucky that it was only your cymbal that got inverted.

Back